Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-31-2018, 02:43 PM

Default Medicine Hat Hot Water Return

I'm new to Medicine Hat and have been seeing someone fishing in a part of the river where it looks like there is hot water being pumped back into the river. I'm just curious if anyone knows what a guy could expect to catch there. I'm assuming that there's probably decent size Pike in water like that. But would you catch perch, goldeye, burbot or sturgeon there?
Old 01-31-2018, 02:48 PM
Banned

Just on the west side of of the transcanada north of of the power house?
Old 01-31-2018, 03:06 PM

I assume you mean coming from the cogen next to the bridge....it's great for walleye in the fall and the odd sturgeon is pulled from there. I fish it occasionally when I'm down there for the CFI shutdown.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:24 PM

I think it's cogen. The water is very shallow so walleye is not what I expected to be the target fish there. I'm going to have to head down and give it a try.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:28 PM

Walleye are not afraid of shallow water if it is where their food resides.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:31 PM

Could have been after bait fish. Ran into a fisherman at one of my river spots one year asking how the area was for minnows. Was complaining about how many people netted the outflow there.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:25 PM

I've seen a guy with a net there. But more often than not it's someone fly-fishing.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil69 View Post
I assume you mean coming from the cogen next to the bridge....it's great for walleye in the fall and the odd sturgeon is pulled from there. I fish it occasionally when I'm down there for the CFI shutdown.
Love that shutdown, the camaro crash helmet is alive and well at CF, I’ve fly fished in the fall with no success, didn’t try very hard mind you.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Fisher View Post
Walleye are not afraid of shallow water if it is where their food resides.
I have caught walleye in as little as a foot of water.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spank View Post
I have caught walleye in as little as a foot of water.
In the fall especially, some of the biggest walleye you will ever catch are caught at night in less than 10 feet of water.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:45 AM

Never fished the area by the power plant but had lots of luck fishing just on the other aide of bridge spent a lot of days down there during the recession in 08 meet some good fellas on ol time would stop at my place every morn to see if I wanted to join him fishing lived across from the windmill green house so was always a nice walk down an sat for house listening to the ol boys storys
Old 02-02-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Love that shutdown, the camaro crash helmet is alive and well at CF, I’ve fly fished in the fall with no success, didn’t try very hard mind you.

LOL
WTF is the Camaro crash helmet.....
You could say I'm pretty familiar with CF
Old 02-02-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
LOL
I was wondering the same.....only thing I can think of is the Catalyst guys and their helmets lol
Old 02-04-2018, 12:51 PM

There's a lot of weirdness out here normally.....even worse on turnarounds.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieTheKid View Post
I'm new to Medicine Hat and have been seeing someone fishing in a part of the river where it looks like there is hot water being pumped back into the river. I'm just curious if anyone knows what a guy could expect to catch there. I'm assuming that there's probably decent size Pike in water like that. But would you catch perch, goldeye, burbot or sturgeon there?
Welcome to the Hat! You could catch any of Pike, Burb, Walleye, Sauger, Goldeye, Mooneye, Sturg, several species of suckers and chubs, and apparently Prussian Carp now too. No perch. All roam the SSR around here. Yes, there are some monster Pike in there. Lost a pig at shore a few years back while sturg fishing. I swear this thing was over 4ft long and FAT! Sadly she tossed the hook as my friend jumped in the water to wrangle it. Gone. I've caught several big girls since but none as big as that one. Doh.
Anyway, yes the hot water comes from the powerhouse. Used to swim down there as a teen many years ago, jumping off the small cliffs into the warm nasty water. Unfortunately we were not the only ones who liked this spot. We stopped going after many cut feet due to coolios smashing bottles in and around the water. I've never had much luck fishing in that area, tbh I think the hot water deters the fish, and it's a bit shallow and fast for my liking.
Shoot me a p.m. closer to open water season when the whole river is clear of ice and I'll send ya in the right direction. Maybe even get out on the water with ya for a day. There's some good spots in and around town, most are no longer secrets haha but there are plenty fish in there for us all to enjoy. Not far from the best sturg spot in town is also the best spot for Pike and nobody fishes them because they are all after the Dinos lol. Missing out they are.
Cheers and Good Luck!
Old 02-07-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
Shoot me a p.m. closer to open water season when the whole river is clear of ice and I'll send ya in the right direction. Maybe even get out on the water with ya for a day. There's some good spots in and around town, most are no longer secrets haha but there are plenty fish in there for us all to enjoy. Not far from the best sturg spot in town is also the best spot for Pike and nobody fishes them because they are all after the Dinos lol. Missing out they are.
Cheers and Good Luck!
Room for one more?
Old 02-08-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchpirate View Post
Room for one more?
I don't see why not. Just fishing from shore. I am not a guide nor do I have a jet boat. Just know a few local spots where the feesh like to hangout.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
I don't see why not. Just fishing from shore. I am not a guide nor do I have a jet boat. Just know a few local spots where the feesh like to hangout.
Sounds like fun! Thanks!
Old 02-09-2018, 02:12 PM

May have to spend most of the day taking geese of your hook this time of year

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-09-2018, 11:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
LOL
Are you sure you’ve worked there? Camaro crash helmet AKA Tennessee top hat, Mississippi mudflap, Wisconsin waterfall, neck blanket, the trailer park pompadour, the hi-low, elcamino headrest, ape drape, achy breaky big mistakey, the Canadian passport, Missouri comprise, North Carolina neck warmer, Nashville bi-level, Macgyver and so on, or as boring people call it, “mullet”.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Are you sure you’ve worked there? Camaro crash helmet AKA Tennessee top hat, Mississippi mudflap, Wisconsin waterfall, neck blanket, the trailer park pompadour, the hi-low, elcamino headrest, ape drape, achy breaky big mistakey, the Canadian passport, Missouri comprise, North Carolina neck warmer, Nashville bi-level, Macgyver and so on, or as boring people call it, “mullet”.
Yeah I'm pretty sure
Only over 2 decades....
I'm on the Operations side, the normal people
Maintenance has a language of their own
Old 02-10-2018, 10:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah I'm pretty sure
Only over 2 decades....
I'm on the Operations side, the normal people
Maintenance has a language of their own
Hahahahahahaha..........luggage indeed, oh, misread that, language, hahahahahahaha.........