Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-03-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
But then again, they would sell fewer Augers.

Drewski
And make less money and go out of the business like Husqvarna etc.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:27 AM

Wow all you guys must be driving around in your all metal 1970"s trucks still...right? No? I bet it's leather seats plastic parts and fuel injection for most everyone.... but let me guess the old ones were waaaay better.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:23 PM

ROA,

The old ones were not way better, but way more durable than the stuff sold today.

We are talking about some extreme conditions for any small engine. But that is Ice Fishing in Alberta, extreme.

Our trucks are still metal, but we as consumers have been lulled into believing that cheaper is better. Then when something fails, which cannot be allowed to fail, we cry. Human nature.

The manufacturers have been able to keep the profit margins up by going overseas, and sheet metal is actually really cheap. But the manufacturers in China are not used to building with sheet metal for housings on power augers engines where the production runs are relatively few units. So here we are.

Pity that there was no North American manufacturers any more. But those days are gone. No answer that will satisfy the problem OTHER THAN A MANUFATURER OFFERING A PREMIUM LINE WITH METAL HOUSINGS, and cheapo plastic for the casual guys who don't want to spend the money.

Just the reality that the plastic may be broke to pieces when you get to the lake, and the recoil starters are junk AND HAVE TO BE BABIED.

As I said, I have both new and old Jiffy Augers. There is a difference on the old Model 30's to what is out there today, and the new stuff is definitely not better.

Drewski
Old 02-03-2018, 02:44 PM

I hardly need a lesson but thanx anyways. I'll let you guys dream of the glory days of the Jiffy 30. I had one i used it for almost 2 decades. It was made of metal but functioned poorly in almost every way. I was there in the early 90's when there was a huge % of 30's that never did run right out of the box. Back then every one was saying the old 30 was better LOL.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
ROA,

The old ones were not way better, but way more durable than the stuff sold today.

We are talking about some extreme conditions for any small engine. But that is Ice Fishing in Alberta, extreme.

Our trucks are still metal, but we as consumers have been lulled into believing that cheaper is better. Then when something fails, which cannot be allowed to fail, we cry. Human nature.

The manufacturers have been able to keep the profit margins up by going overseas, and sheet metal is actually really cheap. But the manufacturers in China are not used to building with sheet metal for housings on power augers engines where the production runs are relatively few units. So here we are.

Pity that there was no North American manufacturers any more. But those days are gone. No answer that will satisfy the problem OTHER THAN A MANUFATURER OFFERING A PREMIUM LINE WITH METAL HOUSINGS, and cheapo plastic for the casual guys who don't want to spend the money.

Just the reality that the plastic may be broke to pieces when you get to the lake, and the recoil starters are junk AND HAVE TO BE BABIED.

As I said, I have both new and old Jiffy Augers. There is a difference on the old Model 30's to what is out there today, and the new stuff is definitely not better.

Drewski
X2 well said, a great lesson that someone needed to hear!!
Old 02-04-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
Dude. Order some new parts, install them, and go fishing.
LOL , I did Joe and even bought a spare the minute I was told Eskimo wouldn't cover the issue. The salesperson at the Fishin Hole said "that the recoils were flying off the shelf this season compared to past seasons".
Old 02-04-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
X2 well said, a great lesson that someone needed to hear!!
Ya, no

Keep dreaming of the glory days that weren't
Old 02-06-2018, 06:59 PM

You can get them recoils for 14 bucks on amazon its a dirtbike starter recoil but its identicle buy 4 of them for the price of 1 and always have a spare one on ya
Old 02-06-2018, 08:24 PM

Salesman's lips moved...he lied. They have been flying off the shelf for several years. I know I used to order them in and extras when I could get my hands on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawjacker View Post
LOL , I did Joe and even bought a spare the minute I was told Eskimo wouldn't cover the issue. The salesperson at the Fishin Hole said "that the recoils were flying off the shelf this season compared to past seasons".
Old 02-07-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
Ya, no

Keep dreaming of the glory days that weren't
Glory days are still here. My Jiffy is 34 yrs old starts on second pull cuts like a charm and has had one tune up in its lifetime. Gets used a fair bit every year. You need to know how to " summerize them" As they say us old guys take a beating but keep on ticking.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:03 AM

Where did you get the recoils?