Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-14-2011, 09:24 PM

Im pretty sure this bull did push the record, i recieved a private message from a fisheries biologist named Jim Stelfox, a guy i have been in touch with and provided much info for many years about the bull population in lower k. He obviously knows his stuff due to his position, and here is what he said:

"Assuming that the length of 36" was measured and not estimated, and considering that the fish looks to be in very good condition, I agree with your estimates of its weight. Using your length of 36", and a relatively poor K value of 1.0, I estimated that it would have weighed 16.5 lbs. However, based on how fat it looked, I think that a K value of 1.2 is more reasonable, which would result in an estimated weight of 19.8 lbs."

We all thought it was around 20 when we iced it, and he estimated the fish to be 2 lbs larger than the present Alberta record, so i am fairly confident it was at least as large.

Last edited by critter; 04-14-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:52 PM

that thing is definitaley 20 pounds!
Old 04-21-2011, 09:19 PM

Katy's 25# Bull Trout BC.jpgThe only thing is that the Alberta Record was 25 lbs from Muskeg river for years and a bunch of experts disqualified it Afga... lmao... there is pictures of a 25 lber(Carter) in Jasper at Online Sports and a 17 lber too caught by a Korean Jasper angler ...and the Brook Trout Record in Alberta is 12#14oz but on here and in the Fishing Regulations its 14#14oz ...lmao... the WR is 14#8 oz 1916 Dr Cook Nipigon Lake Ontario.. here is a 15 to 17 # Bull from the Athabasca and a 25# from Kootenay Area BC.. you be the Judge on this post Athabasca Bull Trout 15 to 17 lbs.jpg
Old 04-21-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Attachment 34833The only thing is that the Alberta Record was 25 lbs from Muskeg river for years and a bunch of experts disqualified it Afga... lmao... there is pictures of a 25 lber(Carter) in Jasper at Online Sports and a 17 lber too caught by a Korean Jasper angler ...and the Brook Trout Record in Alberta is 12#14oz but on here and in the Fishing Regulations its 14#14oz ...lmao... the WR is 14#8 oz 1916 Dr Cook Nipigon Lake Ontario.. here is a 15 to 17 # Bull from the Athabasca and a 25# from Kootenay Area BC.. you be the Judge on this post Attachment 34832
Seriously Spec? Do they not have a forum in BC that you could linger on? We all are well informed of your fishing achievements. congrads again, i guess?

Dace
Old 04-21-2011, 09:36 PM

Dace Dace i posted on the old Alberta Record at 25# from Muskeg River and a mistake by the record keepers on the current Brook Trout Alberta Record not mine and showed picture of a 15 to 17 # from the Athabasca River but yes i did show a BC fish for comparison... btw the guy in the Athb bull pic is not me.. ghheeee
Old 04-21-2011, 09:50 PM

Awesome fish
Old 04-21-2011, 11:42 PM

those are nice fish speckle. summer needs to come fast, too many grumpy people on here
Old 04-22-2011, 11:23 AM

I would guess that Bully was around 12-13 lbs... I caught a similar one at Lower K that was almost 34" and weighed in just around 10 lbs.

obviously alot depends on the girth (mine looks little slimmer) but I think they looked fairly similiar.

p.s. Love your second photo where you can see the tail of another fish still in his mouth.. that could add some extra weight with an extra 1+ lb fish in his throat.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEh View Post
I would guess that Bully was around 12-13 lbs... I caught a similar one at Lower K that was almost 34" and weighed in just around 10 lbs.

obviously alot depends on the girth (mine looks little slimmer) but I think they looked fairly similiar.

p.s. Love your second photo where you can see the tail of another fish still in his mouth.. that could add some extra weight with an extra 1+ lb fish in his throat.
This fish looks like a completely different specimen than yours from lower k, definitaley not similar looking in size or build. Critters fish has a wayyy bigger head, a wayyy bigger gut, a wayyy thicker tail section, and just a much beefier build in general, not to mention the couple of inches difference. A 34 inch bull trout with a skinny build like urs should still way in alittle more than around 10 lbs though. Critter's bull was high teens bear minimum, probably closer to 20, just like the fisheries biologist figures. And he does this for a living, what does that tell you. He is also holding the fish way closer to his body than you are. And if you read the comments, the fish with the other trout in its mouth is a different fish, a very cool pic indeed tho.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslammer40 View Post
This fish looks like a completely different specimen than yours from lower k, definitaley not similar looking in size or build. Critters fish has a wayyy bigger head, a wayyy bigger gut, a wayyy thicker tail section, and just a much beefier build in general, not to mention the couple of inches difference. A 34 inch bull trout with a skinny build like urs should still way in alittle more than around 10 lbs though. Critter's bull was high teens bear minimum, probably closer to 20, just like the fisheries biologist figures. And he does this for a living, what does that tell you. He is also holding the fish way closer to his body than you are. And if you read the comments, the fish with the other trout in its mouth is a different fish, a very cool pic indeed tho.
thats why most of the people are afriad of putting up photos
Old 04-22-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
thats why most of the people are afriad of putting up photos
I here ya the fish are defiantly comparable, not a huge difference at all. Get some scales boys and show me a true 15+lb all the here say is crap good luck challenging a record with no scale
Old 04-23-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslammer40 View Post
I dont doubt that it is possible that his fish was in the mid teens.. obviously it is pretty well impossible to tell the weight of a fish from a picture without a girth measurement. or even a true weight on a scale. Unfortunatly I was so excited to get a picture with my Hog and get him back into the hole pronto, we didnt get a picture of the scale.

It is my experience that unless you get an accurate measurement for girth and length, or an actual weight.... that almost everybody estimates the weight higher then it actually was. Not saying people are liers... but it innocently it happens all the time..

Btw... I am still jealous over the size of his trout...
Old 04-23-2011, 04:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Attachment 34833The only thing is that the Alberta Record was 25 lbs from Muskeg river for years and a bunch of experts disqualified it Afga... lmao... there is pictures of a 25 lber(Carter) in Jasper at Online Sports and a 17 lber too caught by a Korean Jasper angler ...and the Brook Trout Record in Alberta is 12#14oz but on here and in the Fishing Regulations its 14#14oz ...lmao... the WR is 14#8 oz 1916 Dr Cook Nipigon Lake Ontario.. here is a 15 to 17 # Bull from the Athabasca and a 25# from Kootenay Area BC.. you be the Judge on this post Attachment 34832
I fish the same spot where your buddy is holding that bull, lots of them that size on that stretch of river. Always deer on the banks of the other side of the athab there