Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-15-2011, 12:34 PM

Default CBC news today: shacks left on Sylvand and Gull Lake

This morning, CBC news talked with environmental officer regarding the issue of left shacks on lakes in northern. Officers tried to contact owners to move them out.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Banned

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...hing-huts.html
Old 04-15-2011, 01:07 PM

I personally think it's time for them to be treated like bear bait stations. Owners name and Win number on every shack.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:27 PM

x2 on that rule
Old 04-15-2011, 01:51 PM

Default X3

x3 on that
Old 04-15-2011, 03:06 PM

X4
Old 04-15-2011, 04:22 PM

Default lol

Nope, name and phone number is fine
U own a wood or camper shanty?
Old 04-15-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
I personally think it's time for them to be treated like bear bait stations. Owners name and Win number on every shack.
wouldnt the WIN # tell the authorities the name?
Old 04-15-2011, 04:49 PM

When I hit the lake at 6am, Chub or TJB, would you mind if I called you to see if it's ok to use your shack?
I don't want my phone # on any shack.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
When I hit the lake at 6am, Chub or TJB, would you mind if I called you to see if it's ok to use your shack?
no problem.....home number and cell number are on the door...if no answer smash door open and use the emergency number on the inside....let it ring along time....ma is old and it takes awhile for her to answer
Old 04-15-2011, 04:55 PM

Default kooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
U think the telemarketers are out on the ice looking for numbers?
Old 04-15-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJG View Post
U think the telemarketers are out on the ice looking for numbers?
Where do you get telemarketers from?
There is no need for a phone # to be on anything. All the info that is needed is contained in relation to your WIN#. Remember all the questions you answered when you applied for it?
I don't need to put my # on any shack. The only people who would possibly need it are F&W. They can access all that and more through the win#. This topic is actually brought up lots in the thread below.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=88673
Old 04-15-2011, 08:20 PM

I think it should be the same as bear baits too.
Between your name and WIN# the proper people can get ahold of you if needed.
If nobody beats me to it, I will more than likely submit this as a resolution for next years AFGA convention.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 04-15-2011, 08:32 PM

why not the same as a minnow trap.
"Minnow traps must bear the operator’s name, address and Sportfishing Licence number."
This reg is from pre- WIN card days, maybe they should update it to include or just require the WIN Number and name?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-15-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
why not the same as a minnow trap.
"Minnow traps must bear the operator’s name, address and Sportfishing Licence number."
This reg is from pre- WIN card days, maybe they should update it to include or just require the WIN Number and name?
Yup that works too. But I guess your fishing licence number does change from year to year. At least with your WIN# you wouln't have to re-lable your shack every year.
I don't think we need to re-invent the wheel here with registration or shack permits. The WIN# thing would get the job done.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 04-15-2011, 09:09 PM

If people keep screwing up it wont matter because the gov will just say no shacks. They cant police what they need to now.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:27 PM

The wheels at Fish and Wildlife have just figured out a way to get another Ten bucks out of the fishing public. Do not licience shacks, just use the Win Number, its already paid for. To bad some people screw it up for others.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:43 PM

Yep time to start registering Shacks like they do in some places in the east.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:51 PM

Definitely register with WIN. From what i've heard, Sylvan. and Gull are not the worst ones. Slave is rumoured to be be way worse for shacks left out.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:11 AM

easier solution would be put a date on each lake that the shacks need to be taken off, if they are still there rcmp can impound them and force you to pay for the cost of removal +a fee. In order to claim the shack you need to be able to identify it and have some way of proving it is yours. If not claimed they should be able to sell it. Most guys put some significant resources and funds into building them and don't want to lose them, neither do they want to pollute the lake with a sunken shack.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
x2 on that rule
Quote:
Originally Posted by conner View Post
x3 on that
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordfishing View Post
X4
X5

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:55 PM

I like what a lot of you guys are saying on here. It really makes the fishing community look bad when there are so many who engage in the same activities as we do, and are so irresponsible.
I don't use a shack, myself, but would have a serious problem with making personal infromation (like phone #) so public. As others have mentioned, WIN # should be more than sufficient (of course, having my WIN card on me should be enough, too, but I still have to carry paper licenses, which I think is stupid, but that's an argument for another day).
Shacks without a WIN # printed on the outside could then be removed in Jan/Feb, when weather provided safe conditions, or users could be fined for fishing in one, if caught. After the end of the season, or at whatever other time is deemed suitable, WIN # would be used to track down the proprietor, and to fine him/her for an amount that would at least cover the cost of recovery. No seperate licensing system required. Recovered shacks could then be treated as abandonned property, and being sold/auctioned to further SRD law enforcement.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 04-19-2011, 09:05 AM

Put the phone number on there!! People don't move? Change their address?........................... Get your crap together kids!! or take your stinking shack home with you each trip. We are talking pollution here! $1000 fines if they don't take shacks off before ice out.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
easier solution would be put a date on each lake that the shacks need to be taken off, if they are still there rcmp can impound them and force you to pay for the cost of removal +a fee. In order to claim the shack you need to be able to identify it and have some way of proving it is yours. If not claimed they should be able to sell it. Most guys put some significant resources and funds into building them and don't want to lose them, neither do they want to pollute the lake with a sunken shack.
How would that help the problem? Guys who leave their shacks out on the melting ice to fall into the lake don't give a darn if the government collects and impounds the shacks. All that does is provide a publicly-funded clean-up service for these jack-azzes.

I'd go with posting WIN card numbers to start. If that proves unsuccessful because guys post fake numbers or simply take it off the door and walk away, then we will have to move to a registration system that costs the user $... unfortunately.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
no problem.....home number and cell number are on the door...if no answer smash door open and use the emergency number on the inside....let it ring along time....ma is old and it takes awhile for her to answer
hahaha...you slay me some days Chubb
Old 04-23-2011, 03:07 AM

I think that posting the WIN number is a good idea, something like a boat number. I'm personally glad i didn't get my shack out this year as it is quite large and heavy, and with the conditions we had this year, i don't know if i would have gotten it off without alot of help. I know the conditions played a big part in the shacks being left this year.
Yes there are the people who leave shacks on the ice cause they can't be bothered to go through the trouble of getting them off, and "they", as everyone always says, "ruin it for the rest of us". I personally would do whatever i could to get my own off the ice, and if my attempts failed, i would call F&W and find out what resources they use for removal and look into getting the help. I would gladly pay to get it off. (hey, there could be a new thread come each spring, people and resources to help get your shack off the ice for specific lakes???) Just a thought. Anyway, just my 2 cents.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:15 AM

I say they should have a certain date set to get the shack off and after that be a free for all. Whoever gets to it first can just take and keep it
Old 04-23-2011, 06:55 AM

yes I was wondering do they pull the shacks off and put in a pile? If so I'll come up there and grab one or 2 of them
Old 04-23-2011, 08:17 AM

If the authorities find the owner's of abandonded shacks they should be fined, charged for removal and have their fishing license revoked for a couple of years.

nats
Old 04-23-2011, 08:21 AM

Should have to post there fishing licence# on them, if it is not posted durring the fishing season and a F&W officer checks, a fine of say $ 200 F&W can take a pic of the shacks durring the season and if the shacks are not removed when the season closes March 31 say the deadline, then the fine for not removing goes to $ 2000 and your fishing licence not be renewed for 5 years, And all costs for F&W to remove it. In other words your cost for not removeing would be about $ 4000 and no fishing licence for 5 years. I would bet that there would be none left on the ice then. A little harsh but would solve the problem.