Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you classify yourself as an angler?
Master 21 20.39%
Intermediate 34 33.01%
Moderate 27 26.21%
Amateur 14 13.59%
Weekender 7 6.80%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2011, 01:18 PM
Banned

Default What do you classify yourself as an angler?

Master

Intermediate

Moderate

Amateur

Weekender

Last edited by Gust; 04-22-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:35 PM

There are too many species and tactics around for any of us to be master or even intermediate...
Old 04-22-2011, 01:42 PM

Just curious what's your intention with finding out this info?
Old 04-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Banned

I think GM is just curious what people think of themselves.

I probably would still classify myself as an amateur with a long ways to go.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyechaser View Post
There are too many species and tactics around for any of us to be master or even intermediate...
agree
also with the listing of amatuer, im guessng anything above is proffessional to some degree and im definitely no where near that.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:49 PM

I don't think any of us are masters in all aspects, I'd consider myself quite good at spin fishing for pike walleye and rainbows, but a huge amateur with rivers, fly fishing and other species I don't fish often, if there's someone out there who is a master at all forms of Alberta sport fishing, I'd like to shake his hand
Old 04-22-2011, 02:10 PM
Banned

After all the other threads, I just got curious. I see myself as high end moderate/low end intermediate,, though in my mid 20's I would have said high intermediate,, but fishing changes so often that what was the thing 20 years ago is backshelf now so to speak. I was going to put professional as a choice but then wanted it to be broader, more recreational.

I've known 3 masters in my whole life and two are dead. One was super modest/shy and actually had troubles fishing because he was hounded when spotted (When I was a kid, I once picked up his pipe and pretended to smoke it, little did I know, was, a pipe siphons back a fair amount of saliva from the smoker, so I ended up with mouthful of tarry spit); he also said he only knew and fished with one master and that fellow was Christopher Cockerall (<sp?), who invented the Hovercraft, and apparently he was even more quiet of his skills except when it came to teaching kids and he only flyfished with silk line.

There's also the honesty thing and it's cool that someone has voted weekender, which is pretty ambiguous too.

I also think these polls have opened up great debates and interesting viewpoints, so I want to see where it goes.

Quick edit, nobody posted weekender yet, I read the polling line wrong.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:22 PM

If you would have put "armchair fisherman" in your poll, that's the one I would have voted on. I havn't fished for many years now but when I did, I would have classed myself as an amateur.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:23 PM
Banned

chub,,, you are modest, look at your how to fish Travers post. I generalised the choices but for me it really comes down to recognising water types and have a very good understanding of certain fish patterns, me thinks.

The poll thread-starter was hard to figure out,,, if I could have put fish-type to the above selections it would have been a bit better.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
If you would have put "armchair fisherman" in your poll, that's the one I would have voted on. I havn't fished for many years now but when I did, I would have classed myself as an amateur.
I was going to put Joe/sephine Angler.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:39 PM

It should be more specific when it comes to species or type of fishing...For example I can admit I have no clue about flyfishing, would consider myself intermediate when it comes to pike/walleye jigging/spinning and master when it comes to perch ice fishing
Old 04-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
It should be more specific when it comes to species or type of fishing...For example I can admit I have no clue about flyfishing, would consider myself intermediate when it comes to pike/walleye jigging/spinning and master when it comes to perch ice fishing
I noted that above, but you can only poll so many questions when you set it up.

But you did answer the poll more specifically in your post, so that's better.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Banned

A fisherman is a fisherman regardless of species. Its the ones that pay attention to detail that are successful and the ones that are willing to change and adapt to different species. Yes each species has its own quirks and technique and styles but a good fisherman with a bit of basic advice can go out and hold their own and be successful at it to some degree at any given place or species .. The success of any fishery relies as much on knowing the local waters and technique for that area as much if not more than the species itself. One might be a master angler at muskie on lake ???? but couldn't catch a cold out on the west coast. A master angler I believe is one that can hold their own and do reasonably well with most species by applying well just plain old good fishing knowledge..
Old 04-22-2011, 03:22 PM

im a weekender.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:36 PM

In my prov I'm a master. Take me to the ocean and I'm a amateur trying not to puke again.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:12 PM

I just like to fish.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:27 PM

weekender right here
Old 04-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Banned

I'm an amateur:
Anything else and the government will want me to pay tax on it.......
Old 04-22-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
I'm an amateur:
Anything else and the government will want me to pay tax on it.......
x2

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt
Old 04-22-2011, 08:09 PM

Amateur...

I learn someone new EVERY time I go out. A master should know EVERYTHING. I don't know of any masters... There may be some experts out there insofar as technique is concerned. There could be guys that are better than others on their home water. Show me one guy who thinks he is professional or expert and dollars to donuts he never counts the skunk days. For anyone to be that good...they can never be skunked IMHO. So is a master even possible.

Most guys that I have heard of that call themselves masters are really either just lucky or they fish so darn much the law of averages is on their side.

Even professional guides have lots of bad days...and I am talking the good guides. Granted they do better on the worst of days compared to others...but still...no one...and I mean no one knows 50% of everything fishing...let alone 80% or better.

Anyone disagree?
Old 04-22-2011, 08:13 PM

agree and no one knows how to catch every single fish speices at bad loacations and bad condtions
Old 04-22-2011, 08:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
Master

Intermediate

Moderate

Amateur

Weekender
Thats a tough question, I tend to classify anglers on their enthusiasim, time spent on the water, and lastly apptitude but even just that last one is tough. Some seem to think that a guy with an expencive rig who is always ontop of the latest techniques is an "expert" but I'd realy hesitat to say he's a better fisherman than the old fart soaking a jig and minnow 5 days a week year round. This question has far too many variables to pick any of those answeres.

Me, I love fishing as much as anyone, I get out more than many and I know enough that I can usualy come up with a decent catch regardless of the species and type of water, with a few exceptions. I'd say all that makes me is avid!
Old 04-22-2011, 08:23 PM

so if your a master and you bait your own hooks what does that make you..
Old 04-22-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
chub,,, you are modest, look at your how to fish Travers post. I generalised the choices but for me it really comes down to recognising water types and have a very good understanding of certain fish patterns, me thinks.

The poll thread-starter was hard to figure out,,, if I could have put fish-type to the above selections it would have been a bit better.
lol...nope....just ask the walleyes in Travers.....they are still giggling
Old 04-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Banned

I think this post thread is great its been running about 8 hrs and I haven't been call a bad name yet......................
Old 04-22-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
so if your a master and you bait your own hooks what does that make you..
lmao!!!!!
Old 04-22-2011, 08:50 PM

For me I would rate myself moderate when it came to catching all species in Alberta combined. I find that I am good at catching summer rainbow trout and great at catching summer walleye on jigs and plugs. I also find that I am moderate at catching ice gators. I can also catch alot of "nice sized" grayling as well IMO. However, I find that I am still very ameture at catching lake trout, and very ammeture at catching walleye through the ice. When it comes to getting burbot through the ice, at most lakes I would consider myself allright at it except for Lesser Slave where I can catch one after another on good days. If I were to catch a lake whitefish, I would consider myself very lucky. When it comes to brook trout fishing, I have yet to catch one of anything bigger than 6''. I also have yet to catch a brown trout, bull trout or any other trout or char species in the province. I believe what fish species any angler lacks in catching makes up for catching lots extra of the species they specialize in.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:55 PM

50 years of weekends and holidays..amateur for sure..cause I am always learning new tips and tricks....
Old 04-22-2011, 08:57 PM
Banned

lol for eveyone saying that they are amature and that its impossible to know everything, there sure are alot of masters on the forum apparently
Old 04-22-2011, 09:11 PM

Well, I get out more often than just the weekends, so amateur it is for me

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams