Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-11-2012, 12:26 AM

-Having done a dozen or more charters this spring, and all have fallen on days that have kept us in protected waters, often limiting where we fish and how productive and comfortable the experience has been. We've had some decent days on the Salmon, with nothing breaking 20 lbs so far, but for late March-early April its far better than being on the computer writing about it..
April 1st was a great day, with a new guest from Edmonton. Overall we had approx. 20 Salmon encounters of various sizes, with some Long Distance Releases and a few nice fish to the boat. Coho were a great surprise that day as well.
Offshore conditions were pushing 4-5 meters, so we were content to stay in protected waters, which ended up being a great option.

Wet and Windy conditions plagued us for most of the week after, until the past weekend which was beautiful and calm. I passed on a couple trips as I was committed to be away from the coast for the weekend with my son, while my Wife and Daughter went to the Canucks/Oilers game on Saturday.
Some decent Cold water Trout fishing for my Son and I, with a great Chironomid hatch that had some fat Rainbows active..

Yesterday...Finally a break in the weather to get offshore to search for some Spring Chinook and maybe a Halibut or two...
The Weather Forecast was for some SE wind and a little rain, but a spread out swell so it looked easily fishable on the computer at least. My 3 guests for the day normally fish with us in August, so I prepped them on early Spring fishing and how fishing can be fair to good and the weather nice to nasty...they were game for a good time regardless of fish. Once we travelled past the outer coastline and the first couple of deeper water contours, the tide slop and ground swell mellowed out to be very comfortable. Traveling another 15 minutes and we found our offshore destination Sunny and calm with less than 5 knots of wind...sweet!
Before I could get the gear down on both sides, the guys counted almost a dozen Grey Whales steaming past us heading north. We trolled right down on the carpet with a Spoon and a Needlefish Hoochie for almost and hour before getting hit by something that didn't stick.. Not seeing much bait on the screen due to the tides pushing hard, we stayed persistent as I felt there would be Chinook passing through this area heading to southern rivers and we should bump into one or two..Another hour and a couple gear changes later, we hit a good Salmon that peeled line like it was a 30 lb'r but I knew these ealry season fish are deceiving, as they battle hard for their size.
10-15 minutes later, a nice 12 lb Chinook in the boat and high fives from the boys...They were just starting to grab the camera, while I dumped one side back down to 145 feet and bumped my cannonballs on the bottom a few times. Perfect.
I was just about to grab the other rod to set it down to the same depth when the first one goes off again, hit off the DR clip and peeling line heading south. Perfect. 10 minutes and a bit of give and take at the boat, another 14 lbs of Chrome is in the boat. Now with two fish on deck and the bite on, I tell the guys to wait for the photo ops and ask them to stand back while I dump the gear quick..Both back down to the bottom this time, a quick turn to the head back to my contour line and just as we are straightening out, my inside rod goes off. Head shakes and then peels off 30-40 yards and gone...not quite perfect but comes with the territory. We all laughed at the same time because all at once, 8 eyes were fixed on the one rod still in the water, and we all say it get pounded. Next was even funnier..I wasn't grabbing the rod, so I am waiting for one of the guys to make their move..no one budged..then they all started to move for it at once, looked at each other laughed and then held off in courtesy. Almost like the three stooges with me having a hard time watching this rod pump away and start to peel line while it sits in the rod holder. Finally combatent #3 was on it, and he did a great job on the hardest fight of the day for the Smallest Salmon. Good times and high fives, three nice fish in the boat within 30 minutes, Calm seas and Sunshine..

We fished for another couple hours for another Long Distance release on a Salmon and one Chicken Halibut on the Spoon I was testing for Oki Tackle. When we decided to pull the gear and switch to Halibut, we missed another Salmon that hit half way up, almost a bonus last minute Chinook..

We travelled 10 minutes back towards the beach and dropped the spreader bars down on one of my common Halibut Spots. One Whole Herring, one half Herring and a White Power Bait was on the menu...We fished for almost about half an hour before we found another Chicken Halibut that preferred the whole Herring. Re-bait and re-set the gear to the bottom and no more than 10 minutes later, the half herring enticed a hard hit that drove the Rod tip in the water and 100 lb braided line peeling towards the bottom. One of the guys grabbed the rod after a bit of a struggle out of the holder, and tried to set the hook home, but the third Halibut of the day swam away.....After a couple of "Oh Well, Too bads.." we noticed one of the other rods thumping away with a tell tale sign of another Chicken Halibut. Number three Halibut joined us onboard after a short battle.

After a good deck cleaning to deal with Halibut blood and slime, we head for the harbour as the guys had a ferry to catch yet that night.
A couple quick pics on the dock and off to the procesor for a quick Vac Pac job..

We've seen bigger fish and we've seen better weather, but for this early in the season, we are happy to get on the water and feel the rod bend...not to mention some great eating. First fresh fish of the season always seems to taste the best...
Fishing only gets better from here....
Old 04-11-2012, 12:30 AM

There you go Mike, Hope that keeps you going until the next report.. might be tomorrow night if all goes well.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:27 AM
AO Sponsor

Not sure if any of you have trips booked to Kano Inlet on the Salmon Seeker this summer, but if so, OBMG has decided to cancel all trips to it this year, so if you had a booking there, unfortunately you do not anymore. Just a heads up!
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast
Old 04-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti Charters View Post
Not sure if any of you have trips booked to Kano Inlet on the Salmon Seeker this summer, but if so, OBMG has decided to cancel all trips to it this year, so if you had a booking there, unfortunately you do not anymore. Just a heads up!
I was told it was a transport Canada issue.
Oak bay is taking a major hit
-Marabele is gone
-king salmon is gone
-salmon seeker is gone

To bad, lots of great times at those places.

Jamie
Old 04-26-2012, 07:33 PM

Any updates from the boys on the coast?
Old 04-30-2012, 03:36 PM

Last Week Mike....

We had some productive days on the water with limits of Halibut, Crabs and Salmon , with the Salmon bite being more of a challenge due to tides. We have another busy week ahead so will try and post some updated pics asap.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:07 PM
Banned

Good Lord it's getting close. I leave on Monday or Tuesday with our first guests ariving the following week.
I am just plain out excited about fishing this year.
The boys in PR are already talking about nailing some great Chinook right in the harbour.
One of our boats is in the water with the other 2 to follow in the next day or 2.

Who has some old pics that can post them up?

Jamie
Old 05-11-2012, 08:00 AM

Who has some old pics that can post them up?

Ok , here's an "old" pic . My first hali. Before digital pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg butt.jpg (42.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 05-11-2012, 10:50 AM

Don't know what you guys will make of this but this is the darkest ocean run Spring Salmon I have ever caught (Any thoughts on its color?)

Followed but the most colorful

And the biggest Yelloweye we have caught 19lbs if I recall
Old 05-11-2012, 12:26 PM

Default West Coast Pics - No Fish just scenery

Can't Fish all the time .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0539.jpg (54.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0554.jpg (74.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0580.jpg (36.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0622.jpg (71.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0625.jpg (55.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0774.jpg (62.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1060.jpg (34.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1288.jpg (89.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 05-12-2012, 12:33 AM

The past couple years

here's one for you Mike

Cheers

SS
Old 05-13-2012, 12:07 AM
AO Sponsor

Good day on the water, some nice hali (65lber), tons of Yelloweye and Quillback rockfish, and some Lingcod. Was exploratory day and found even more great fishing spots, most fairly close to port in case of those windy days...very excited about it!

Old 05-14-2012, 11:32 PM
Banned

I dont have a whole bunch of old pics due to the fire, but I did find this one.
This is my guide who must have had a brain cramp the day he decidied to tie my 80# hali to the front of the boat.. Imagine our surprise when it wasent there when we got back. DUHHHHHHHHHHH (I blame myself for not takeing more controll) I made him pose like that. I you can see, my buddy is getting a kick out of it.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:36 PM
Banned

Here is a big hali. He kept that ball down for a while. I think she weighed about 250#s

Last edited by Jamie; 05-14-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:01 AM
AO Sponsor

Good morning with 4 over 40lbs

One day limits of everything, halibut 45-120lbs, Chinook from 20-38lbs

Love this pic due to the huge smile

Limits of halibut from 75-150lbs, limit of Chinook, end of June

Old 05-21-2012, 08:10 AM

Default Tofino Halibut Season

Spent some time on the water yesterday with regular guests and old friends from the East Side of the Island. Although the Salmon bite was happening, these guys were content to focus on the Halibut Fishing they have enjoyed for many past May Long Weekends...
With a limit of 4 Halibut in the boat by days end, total weight of 200lbs was perfect for battle action and prime groceries.

These two guys have been grown up and fished together for over 30 years, I was glad to help create one more memory..

Dock picture of the Smith Fishing Team

Another Dock Shot..

One of our other boats fishing close to us for a while. They were already limited on Salmon 24-27 lbs and 3 Halibut, with room for one more bigger Halibut that they ended up breaking off beside the boat shortly after this photo. After 10 days of Sunshine, the low pressure SE system was just closing in on us by the end of the day, so it all worked out well.

Maintenance day today for a couple vessels while a couple fish the inside waters...Chinook and a few Coho will keep them busy.