Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-15-2014, 10:14 PM

Default March 15th

Went back out to RR23 with Bwackwabbit to see if the Burbs were still in doing their spawning thing, we got to watch the sunrise & were quite surprised to see all the people on the ice. Got set up and we weren’t disappointed, lots of Burbs stacked up & the Whites were all over them. Fishing was good until about 11:00 then it slowly declined as well, the people started to depart. Bwackwabbit was super lucky today, his last Burb got twisted around his camera cable, however, he still managed to get in on the ice. Then he watched his rod & real go down the hole so he goes out to his camera remove starts pulling up the cable, one of the trebles on the lure caught the camera head so he was able to pull up his outfit, unbelievable! Check out the yellow color of his lucky fish. We hung around hoping things would pick up in the late afternoon/evening, but that didn’t happen. Lots of guys hauled off their shacks, overall it was beauty day, we caught some fish, had some fun and enjoyed the warm weather.

Some pic's ....

Z-Z

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 03-15-2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:11 AM

Was also at Sylvan on March 15. Shocked how crowded in the morning, then people thinned out starting around lunchtime, and by late afternoon it was pretty empty. My buddy landed a whitefish late-morning (released), then we saw lots of fish but not many showing interest, until I got a burbot on a tip-up in late afternoon (released of course). After 5 pm there was a bit of a run, with my buddy catching a nice pike on a tip-up (released), and me catching two whites on wireworms (kept).
Old 03-16-2014, 08:16 AM

It was a beautiful day for sure!

The rod and reel that went down the hole was a St. Croix/ Frabill inline combo worth about $120 w/line and lure! When I pulled up the camera to find the one hook from a treble on my lucky FOD, I almost dropped to my knees...lol.

Got called in to work a night shift after that and no one believed my story I'm sure...lol.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:29 PM

Zip/Bwackwabbit,

How thick was the ice? Just wondering if it will be safe for a trip this weekend...

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2014, 01:44 PM

I was out there on the weekend too and there was over 40" everywhere I drilled. If I wouldn't have had my extension I wouldn't have gotten through in some areas I tried.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:11 PM

Awesome, thanks!
Old 03-19-2014, 09:41 PM

Default March 19th

Went out to RR23 late this afternoon, wanted to see if the spot we found was still attracting Burbs who were having fun on the weekend, doing their thing. Bwackwabbit was planning on joining me after work, told him I would have all our holes open ready & waiting.

The ice access is in great shape, much better than last year, no huge ice ridge to maneuver around. As you can see almost all the shacks are off this end of the lake, guys are more responsible this year. Opened up a few holes from the weekend, ice is still over 30”, got set up around 4:00pm dropped the camera down, didn’t see much Burb activity, guess they were pretty much done.

Decided to sit outside on 5 gal pail and enjoy the sun, dropped down my candy-cane yellow/orange W/W, hit the bottom adjusted the line, got a White. This color combo produced 5 whites for me and today I had lots of action & still managed to miss at least 5-6. Bwackwabbit was huntin big game fish & was having some fun with a bunch of Walleye that were hanging around & some shy Pike, unfortunately, I had to go at 7:00pm, here’s a few pic’s from today. Bwackwabbit stayed & said he may update further.

Z-Z

Old 03-19-2014, 10:27 PM

Thanks for getting everything ready Zip!

I fished from 5:30p-8p and totalled 4 walleye and 2 burbs also missed 2whites.
My friend "Bill" got a nice jack...lol.

"Bill's"

A few of mine...

Beauty evening! Had the lake to myself after 7:15.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:43 PM

Well done Bwackwabbit .... next week we'll do this again & will stay till dark!

Z-Z

Bill sure does produce, good pal to have hanging around a hole !

Old 03-19-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Well done Bwackwabbit .... next week we'll do this again & will stay till dark!
Deal!
Old 03-23-2014, 09:08 PM

Default March 23rd

Went back out to RR23 this morning with Bwackwabbit & Burbhunter667, a few guys were out, it was a slow bite day, caught a few fish & of course lost lots, too!

The ice conditions haven't changed from last week, 30" plus & solid. The lake access had some slush/melt that froze, no issues, a number of small cars were out & about. I stayed until 5:30 while Bwackwabbit was big game hunting & had his sights on Pike that eluded him all day!

Here a few pic's that tells the rest of the story.

Z-Z

This Candy Cane W/W is a hot one for your collection!

Old 03-23-2014, 09:22 PM

Tough fishin', good company and beautiful weather sums up the weekend.

A few pics...

Old 03-27-2014, 07:12 PM

Default March 27th

Had some work to do today at the Sylvan Legion, finished around 4:00 pm then went for a drive down RR23. A truck was just driving off the lake and I had a chance to chat with the fellow.

This was his fish story ... he was out in the mid morning & fishing in 18-20 fow using a brass bottom thumper with a yellow wire worm tied about 2ft higher. He caught his 5 Whites and lost one about 3 lbs just under the ice trying to get it into the hole. He had lots of seniority, I believed him, he said he'll be back tomorrow looking for the one that got away! As well, he mentioned only 3 other groups were out today.

He's a few pic's, there's at least 10" of snow on the ice, Gramps said he was happy he had 4WD!

Z-Z

Old 04-03-2014, 04:29 PM

Default End of the Ice Season

Since I started this thread on Dec 15, I thought it would be appropriate to close it out with a .... Thank-you .... to all those members who took the time to post a reply and share some techniques, stories, and comments over the ice fishing season.

As mentioned in one of my earlier posts, the purpose of this thread was to provide fellow anglers with some idea of the snow & ice conditions on a number of the well known lake access points on Sylvan. Every year for the past 6 years I’ve see someone go through the ice and fortunately this year that didn't happen even though we had some of the worst snow/ice conditions ever.

Furthermore, I don’t have a problem sharing information, techniques, what worked or didn’t work and perhaps some of my and/or other members updates helped others on having a fun day fishin with friends and family, that's what sportsmen do. With 133 posts and over 14,000 views I'm hoping the foregoing was achieved. I trust you enjoyed some of my pic's, I intend on starting a new thread next ice season, keep an eye out for the Black Pearl flying the Jolly Roger & stop by & say hi!

Wish you all have a great open water season .....

David ...... aka ... Z-Z

Old 04-03-2014, 05:21 PM

Thanks for keeping it going, this last sask.pirate spent 6 days out there this hard water season and got zero whites on the ice, which would be all put back if my luck was better, walleye and burbs with a few small pike 2013 ice fishin was a bust at sylvan but thanks to the good lord I enjoyed every second!