Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2016, 09:44 PM

Default Thursday's Adventure - Minivan rollover content

Today I encountered a pretty stellar example of incompetence and apathy. Around 4:30 I was travelling eastbound 58th Ave SE crossing Blackfoot when I noticed that the flat-deck tow truck next to me had an unsecured minivan on it, the only thing attached to the van was his winch cable, and the van was far from parallel on his deck. I decided to get in front of him so as not to be having to play 'dodge' em' with any wayward Dodge Caravans. As I turned southbound on 11th Street I was intending to head to Lee Valley Tools when I saw the tow truck taking the eastbound left onto 59th Ave to go to the scrapyard just down the block. He made the corner but his minivan cargo rolled off the side onto the boulevard, landing on its drivers side (it was facing rearwards while on the flat-deck). I decided to follow and call the police. I was parked nearby talking with 911 when this inept moron had managed to winch the van back onto his Isuzu and he continued on towards the scrapyard (Navajo/ Bucks Auto Parts), he then rounded the only turn remaining to his destination and again his unsecured cargo slid off the side of his vehicle, but this time it was at about an 82 degree angle to his flat deck and hanging off the side instead of having fallen completely off. The clown then continued driving down the block for the remaining city block and turned into his destination where his cargo finally fell the rest of the way off right in the parking lot aisle!

I then pulled in to a parking spot while narrating the entire incident to the police operator. The driver walked into Bucks Auto Parts as I walked over to grab his plate number for the 911 dispatcher. I then returned to my truck and spoke with the scrapyard gate man and the operator about the incident as it had certainly raised the eyebrows of the staff there who witnessed it. The flat-deck driver then left the auto parts office and pulled around to exit behind where I was parked but he stopped and got out to talk to me, asking me what I was up to? I told him I was on the phone with the cops to try to keep the streets safe and I started exiting my van when he skulked back to his vehicle to make an escape. I was still on the phone and had to turn around (with a correction) to follow, so he was a ways ahead of me when he turned onto 59th and out of my line of sight. When I got around the corner it was apparent he had turned into one of the nearby industrial strip mall lots to hide as he'd not have made it to 11th street in that time, and he was not at the intersection to 11th.

I drove around a bit looking for him and a while later I returned to the spot of the original spilled cargo. While I was there the scrapyard gate man was on his way home and he pulled over to tell me that the culprit had returned to Bucks. I returned as well and got back on the phone with the police to notify them he was back, but unfortunately they didn't have a car available at the time and could not respond. I managed to follow the fellow a good distance behind & unknown to him for a spell but it was not to be in terms of the police swooping in. As one of my next scheduled stops included Costco I finally bought one of those Garmin dash cams they have, it might save my bacon in a traffic incident, but I can also post the highlight-reel moments such as this one for the likes of you louts

Last edited by CaberTosser; 01-21-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:14 PM

All I got is Wow.

Glad you phoned it in.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:54 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

I hope the cops pay this guy a visit, he's the kind of idiot that kills people due to his negligence and lack of intelligence. You see people like that that lose their cargo etc and just keep on driving even if they have caused an accident
Old 01-21-2016, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Today I encountered a pretty stellar example of incompetence and apathy. Around 4:30 I was travelling eastbound 58th Ave SE crossing Blackfoot when I noticed that the flat-deck tow truck next to me had an unsecured minivan on it, the only thing attached to the van was his winch cable, and the van was far from parallel on his deck. I decided to get in front of him so as not to be having to play 'dodge' em' with any wayward Dodge Caravans. As I turned southbound on 11th Street I was intending to head to Lee Valley Tools when I saw the tow truck taking the eastbound left onto 59th Ave to go to the scrapyard just down the block. He made the corner but his minivan cargo rolled off the side onto the boulevard, landing on its drivers side (it was facing rearwards while on the flat-deck). I decided to follow and call the police. I was parked nearby talking with 911 when this inept moron had managed to winch the van back onto his Isuzu and he continued on towards the scrapyard (Navajo/ Bucks Auto Parts), he then rounded the only turn remaining to his destination and again his unsecured cargo slid off the side of his vehicle, but this time it was at about an 82 degree angle to his flat deck and hanging off the side instead of having fallen completely off. The clown then continued driving down the block for the remaining city block and turned into his destination where his cargo finally fell the rest of the way off right in the parking lot aisle!

I then pulled in to a parking spot while narrating the entire incident to the police operator. The driver walked into Bucks Auto Parts as I walked over to grab his plate number for the 911 dispatcher. I then returned to my truck and spoke with the scrapyard gate man and the operator about the incident as it had certainly raised the eyebrows of the staff there who witnessed it. The flat-deck driver then left the auto parts office and pulled around to exit behind where I was parked but he stopped and got out to talk to me, asking me what I was up to? I told him I was on the phone with the cops to try to keep the streets safe and I started exiting my van when he skulked back to his vehicle to make an escape. I was still on the phone and had to turn around (with a correction) to follow, so he was a ways ahead of me when he turned onto 59th and out of my line of sight. When I got around the corner it was apparent he had turned into one of the nearby industrial strip mall lots to hide as he'd not have made it to 11th street in that time, and he was not at the intersection to 11th.

I drove around a bit looking for him and a while later I returned to the spot of the original spilled cargo. While I was there the scrapyard gate man was on his way home and he pulled over to tell me that the culprit had returned to Bucks. I returned as well and got back on the phone with the police to notify them he was back, but unfortunately they didn't have a car available at the time and could not respond. I managed to follow the fellow a good distance behind & unknown to him for a spell but it was not to be in terms of the police swooping in. As one of my next scheduled stops included Costco I finally bought one of those Garmin dash cams they have, it might save my bacon in a traffic incident, but I can also post the highlight-reel moments such as this one for the likes of you louts
This lout will definitely enjoy some of your future dash cam adventures.

Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."
Old 01-22-2016, 10:48 AM

check if caberscam.com is available, offer a subscription to watch your footage of these idiots!
Old 01-22-2016, 10:58 AM

Amazing. But why did you feel the need to chase him after he left the scrap yard? You had already told the cops what you witnessed and gave them his license number. They'll find him.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Amazing. But why did you feel the need to chase him after he left the scrap yard? You had already told the cops what you witnessed and gave them his license number. They'll find him.
I'd not characterize it as a chase, that would just escalate things. I was 150 meters back and not seen by him. I was under the impression police were en route at one point so wanted to keep the fellows location known. Keep in mind it was a possible DUI and getting to him while he's still at the wheel is rather helpful. Can't lay that charge when only finding them the day after.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I'd not characterize it as a chase, that would just escalate things. I was 150 meters back and not seen by him. I was under the impression police were en route at one point so wanted to keep the fellows location known. Keep in mind it was a possible DUI and getting to him while he's still at the wheel is rather helpful. Can't lay that charge when only finding them the day after.
Sorry, was not my intention to characterize the "chase" as in any way wild or unsafe. Just couldn't see the need to follow him at all. But I get your reasoning better now.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:25 AM

When the operator told me no police were en route I returned to my scheduled errands, I'd just really like to have seen him in cuffs. I went back to the initial scene and retrieved a tow chain from the road (a bit dangerous left hidden in the snow on the street, plus now I have another chain ), there was still a mirror and all of the shattered side window glass littering the boulevard.

If anyone sees a flat deck tow truck, Isuzu cabover style driven by a short buzzed redhead with maybe 50% of the teeth he should have that's likely the guy. One of the left taillights had a wiring issue as it was pulsating irregularly.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:22 PM

Stupid is as stupid does. Good no one was injured by this fool.