Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-29-2012, 10:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
I think I have read the whole thread, and offered what I think are a viable solution to the bass issue. cooling ponds,with a restricted access. after which a more workable understanding may give us the chance for further stocking I am not completely against introduced species. I just understand I know very little of introducing a foreign fish to our somewhat fragile waters. I drive six hours to get my rainbow fix why cant others do the same.
I did not say this as a wise crack this has been on going since I believe before you came on (I maybe Wrong) It started that there are some people tired of the money wasted on stocking trout after trout and were liking the idea that some land locked waters could be stocked with smallmouth for another species to fish .
Old 02-29-2012, 10:52 PM
Banned

Cool

no wise crack taken. I feel bass will net the same results other than most folk will not harvest bass. granted bass may reproduce but surely that would lead to stunting unless a year round food source could be provided ,crayfish? smallmouth have the same requirements as most trout with perhaps a slightly better tolerance for water temp.very few lakes that will not sustain trout will sustain smallmouth.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
no wise crack taken. I feel bass will net the same results other than most folk will not harvest bass. granted bass may reproduce but surely that would lead to stunting unless a year round food source could be provided ,crayfish? smallmouth have the same requirements as most trout with perhaps a slightly better tolerance for water temp.very few lakes that will not sustain trout will sustain smallmouth.
Reproduction is not a viable option for bass the water does not warm up fast enough at the spawning time for bass. The prior introduction of bass showed little or non excitant reproduction so restocking would be needed. possibly even a C&R but doubtful.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:42 PM
Banned

Cool

with our changing weather patterns and mother nature's talent for proving we know next to nothing. I am quite sure that would soon change.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
with our changing weather patterns and mother nature's talent for proving we know next to nothing. I am quite sure that would soon change.
Yes the ever changing climate could eventually change the temps of waterways or the evolution of the fish themselves native and introduced could change with it. there is no true way of knowing what will turn about.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:53 AM
Banned

LM bass is stronger than a trout! So suck on that one trout!
Old 03-01-2012, 01:19 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-killer View Post
I dont think you are in position to make a judgment on both species. if you could kindly give a small example of your experience with both over say six pounds.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
I dont think you are in position to make a judgment on both species. if you could kindly give a small example of your experience with both over say six pounds.
ha, what a ridiculous request.

Trout species vary considerably in their tenaciousness. Perhaps he should qualify his statement for you by providing evidence of having fought all resident trout species over 6lbs (where does 6lbs come from anyways??) and largemouth over 6lbs from multiple provinces. hunh? indeed.

I'd give the LM the bronzed gloves over a brown anyday.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:07 AM
Banned

Cool

6lb is just a random size both species attain for my 2bits I have never had a bass of that size take me into the backing , all most every trout of that class has made me nervous in that regard.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
6lb is just a random size both species attain for my 2bits I have never had a bass of that size take me into the backing , all most every trout of that class has made me nervous in that regard.
Could you post some pics of bass you caught that size?
Old 03-01-2012, 05:03 AM

I think Small mouth Bass should be stocked on an ongoing bases in say 5 lakes in Alberta. N, S, E,W. Say one in central Alberta too. I vote stocking Hastings Lake to be the one in Central. Shallow lake with lots of weeds. Lots of frogs around too.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Holy crap! I can't believe there is 17 pages of this sh*t.

How about we leave the management of our fisheries to professionals? There are lots of good reasons to NOT stock bass in any AB waters, but the most important is that there are a lot of people who cannot be trusted when it comes to illegal fish introductions.

If you want to catch bass, or panfish, or salmon, or carp, then do so on your vacation. What is that old saying? Getting there is half the fun?
EXCELLENT POST!
here is what "the professionals" have to say about SMB:
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/csas-sccs/P...09_003-eng.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Damn G don't you ever get tired of that same whine......Nova scotia this NB that man get some new material ....
NS this,NB that.....you just don't want to accept the truth nor get the facts from those in the know that have witnessed the destruction first hand because it discredits every argument you throw up....er....out?Try getting off your high horse and actually read the DFO link provided,and take note that SMB were legally,albeit miguidedly introduced to TWO.....yes TWO landlocked lakes in NS on the 1940s....as of 2009 as per the DFO report provided they are now found in 188 lakes and rivers thanks to ILLEGAL introductions by the bucket brigades.In NB iirc(?),SMB were stocked in 4-5 southern NB lakes in the late 1800s and again,illegally spread to just about every watershed that will support them.

Last edited by admin; 03-01-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
EXCELLENT POST!
here is what "the professionals" have to say about SMB:
http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/csas-sccs/P...09_003-eng.htm

NS this,NB that.....you just don't want to accept the truth nor get the facts from those in the know that have witnessed the destruction first hand because it discredits every argument you throw up....er....out?Try getting off your high horse and actually read the DFO link provided,and take note that SMB were legally,albeit miguidedly introduced to TWO.....yes TWO landlocked lakes in NS on the 1940s....as of 2009 as per the DFO report provided they are now found in 188 lakes and rivers thanks to ILLEGAL introductions by the bucket brigades.In NB iirc(?),SMB were stocked in 4-5 southern NB lakes in the late 1800s and again,illegally spread to just about every watershed that will support them.
I know of one lake in Alberta that was stocked with them in the 70s or so but they did not seem to take. Island Lake N.east of Hanmore Lake. No problems in other lakes around there with them spreading. Maybe they just winter killed? Ever think that its not the bucket brigade that spread them but birds or something else. Nature does have its ways.
I fished there in the late 80s and saw a couple guys haul out a few fish that did not look like perch but was too far away to really tell what they were. Hav'nt been there since. Who knows for sure if they are still in there or not. Think there were a few other lakes stocked in Alberta with smallies also around that time.

No need for insults and name calling either.

Last edited by admin; 03-01-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:58 AM
Banned

I'm not going to comment on whether or not bass should be introduced in Alberta..........I will say though that they are quite prolific in northern Ontario lakes so I'm not sure why they wouldn't be able to survive in Alberta. I didn't read through the +18 pages of posts though so the answer might be in there somewhere.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:32 AM
Banned

OK, I was going to stay out of this, and this may be my only post this go around.

There is a lot of screaming on this board that F&W doesn't know squat about fisheries management, they are doing a bad job, and why oh why don't they use science.

Now F&W employs a bunch of biologists, but many on here seem to know better then those that are professionally trained, many with masters and doctorate degrees in ichthyology. But what could they know, right?

So let's assume that F&W biologists know sweet frick all about fisheries management.

Then lets look at what DFO biologists say. Perhaps they know sweet frick all also, but at least it is a different sweet frick all.

Quote:
When smallmouth bass are introduced into a water body, they prey heavily on smaller fish, can out-compete other fish species, and can become a dominant component of the food web.
Quote:

The overall risk to the aquatic ecosystem is considered to be high in the lake environment; smallmouth bass is expected to become a dominant component of the food web and to cause significant reductions in existing biota. The uncertainty is low.
Now, I can just hear the experts on this board, who of course come by their expertise through exposure to fishing in other jurisdiction, saying, "But that is in New Brunswick, not here!". The next thing we will hear is some variation of, "But why not try in in Alberta, what do we have to lose?".

Right. I'll keep my bets on those that actually study the effects of non-indigenous species. The resident "experts" on bass fishing will never be convinced anyways, as they know best.

Yeah. Right. Whatever.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
OK, I was going to stay out of this, and this may be my only post this go around.

There is a lot of screaming on this board that F&W doesn't know squat about fisheries management, they are doing a bad job, and why oh why don't they use science.

Now F&W employs a bunch of biologists, but many on here seem to know better then those that are professionally trained, many with masters and doctorate degrees in ichthyology. But what could they know, right?

So let's assume that F&W biologists know sweet frick all about fisheries management.

Then lets look at what DFO biologists say. Perhaps they know sweet frick all also, but at least it is a different sweet frick all.

Now, I can just hear the experts on this board, who of course come by their expertise through exposure to fishing in other jurisdiction, saying, "But that is in New Brunswick, not here!". The next thing we will hear is some variation of, "But why not try in in Alberta, what do we have to lose?".

Right. I'll keep my bets on those that actually study the effects of non-indigenous species. The resident "experts" on bass fishing will never be convinced anyways, as they know best.

Yeah. Right. Whatever.
Avb3 You know I can find quotes that state that Bass will cohabitant with trout and other species and will not invade their spawning grounds I have posted them before. But as we know the chance of them introducing Bass in Alberta AGAIN is a 100 to 1 shot at best. Going to make a trip to Duck in two weeks to get my Bass fix. Maybe i'll bring you a couple back .......LOL
Old 03-01-2012, 10:19 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Could you post some pics of bass you caught that size?
sorry. BG, I do not have pic's of any bass of that quality. I will however in the near future have pic's of rainbow 's that will qualify that side of my statement. and will endeavor this spring to produce pic's that will reinforce my statement on bass. if you wish you can pm me and I will give you the info to facebook myself ,where I have most of my current fish pic's.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
sorry. BG, I do not have pic's of any bass of that quality. I will however in the near future have pic's of rainbow 's that will qualify that side of my statement. and will endeavor this spring to produce pic's that will reinforce my statement on bass. if you wish you can pm me and I will give you the info to facebook myself ,where I have most of my current fish pic's.
I think you would agree then that what you requested another member to provide in order to validate their opinion was completely ridiculous.

LMB fight better than browns, bulls, lakers, and stockers of all types, but not better than rainbows and wild specks.

That's my opinion (based on my experience) and I don't need to provide anything to support it.

Either way it doesnt matter because if I'm catching one, it's pretty unlikely that I'm catching the other.

Ever hook a 5lb smallie in a river? It'll make quick work of the backing on your 4wt.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-killer View Post
I won't argue that, but where a largemouth bass of a certain size will pull at 10/10 for 30 seconds and then give up, a trout of the same size will pull at 9.5/10 for 5 minutes. I'll take the trout any day!!
Old 03-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpro View Post
I won't argue that, but where a largemouth bass of a certain size will pull at 10/10 for 30 seconds and then give up, a trout of the same size will pull at 9.5/10 for 5 minutes. I'll take the trout any day!!
A rainbow sure, but I've hardly seen a brown do anything other than roll over.

Maybe I should use a 2wt to get some fight out of them.

The fight in a brown is so weak they'll swim against the current to get in the net.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Banned

Cool

[QUOTE=BeeGuy;1326496]I think you would agree then that what you requested another member to provide in order to validate their opinion was completely ridiculous.
not sure I get what you mean, I merely asked if FK could qualify there post. any experience they could have given would of sufficed. FK could have retorted in kind and I would be glad to qualify my own experience. I am not the trolling type looking for a hit. I may get out of order at times for which I have most humbly apologized. As to a 5lb smally,my experience with to few I have had the pleasure to hook in that caliber they were in lakes so no backing was required to subdue the bronze bruiser. whereas with a natural lake dwelling silver bullet of that standard ,backing was the order of the day.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Banned

Yup, I'll take a big bow (wild) over just about anything in the same weight class.

Even a Pennask Strain Bow. Very Acrobatic but not freight trains like other varieties.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Yup, I'll take a big bow (wild) over just about anything in the same weight class.

Even a Pennask Strain Bow. Very Acrobatic but not freight trains like other varieties.
Want fight? Try taking a pike in the spring time on a fly just after ice out near shore.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Want fight? Try taking a pike in the spring time on a fly just after ice out near shore.
comparing a six lb pike to a six lb wild rainbow is not very fair, bass and pike are ambush predators short bursts of power, they cannot sustain long runs again and again. trout in lakes cruise constantly their muscle mass is indented for long periods of effort. bass and pike burn out fairly quickly in comparison.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Banned

That's a pretty good assessment
Old 03-01-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
comparing a six lb pike to a six lb wild rainbow is not very fair, bass and pike are ambush predators short bursts of power, they cannot sustain long runs again and again. trout in lakes cruise constantly their muscle mass is indented for long periods of effort. bass and pike burn out fairly quickly in comparison.
Definitely makes sense. Trout and Salmon have evolved to have more stamina based on the feeding and migration habits. Pike do burn out much quicker, but I find they can give some pretty incredible fights.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Banned

Bass fight??Huh......there's more fight in an earthworm!! LOL

Take your pick of ANY one of dozens of Saturday morning bass clown shows,and I'll give my favorite 4wt to the first person that can provide me video evidence of a "bass fight" that lasts more than 30 seconds from hookset to being landed in the glitter boat.Actually I'd be confident in betting sub 15 seconds if it wasn't my favorite 4wt at stake.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:52 PM
Banned

That's because those guys use 20lb test and bulldog them in. They are allot more fun on light tackle when you have a chance of losing them if you don't play them right......same with anything I guess.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:57 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
Bass fight??Huh......there's more fight in an earthworm!! LOL

Take your pick of ANY one of dozens of Saturday morning bass clown shows,and I'll give my favorite 4wt to the first person that can provide me video evidence of a "bass fight" that lasts more than 30 seconds from hookset to being landed in the glitter boat.Actually I'd be confident in betting sub 15 seconds if it wasn't my favorite 4wt at stake.
in the wrong conditions you might find your self with a broken 4 wt. in heavy cover a big bass would have their way with you, but may not get more than 50' away from the boat. just saying. they use 30-50 pound braid for a reason.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:38 AM
Banned

Yes I realize these bass clowns in their glitter boats and NASCAR suits are using broom handles and winch cable to hoist those fish aboard.Regardless,I'd tie a 5 lb bass to a 5 lb salmonid tail to tail ANY day and would bet that the bass would get dragged all over the river/lake......and FWIW,I've caught plenty of 3-5 lb smallmouth on light spinning gear and fly rods,then of course I carefully released them just as far up the bank as I could chuck them for the coons and bears.