Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: fishing courses needed?
yes, so we can save our lakes and rivers 70 41.92%
No way 98 58.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2012, 05:56 PM
camogirl

Default Should there be fishing courses to get a fishing licence??

I look at posts and i see that alot of people debate on the issue of more catch and release in our lakes and rivers, i believe that if we have to take a hunting course , we should all have to take a fishing course to get our fishing license! Maybe that otta teach people some common sence, and respect so that our kids , and grand children can catch trophys when were old and grey!
People should atleast be able to read, and understand the regulations

Lets save our fish!
Old 02-28-2012, 05:59 PM

I agree

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-28-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camogirl View Post
I look at posts and i see that alot of people debate on the issue of more catch and release in our lakes and rivers, i believe that if we have to take a hunting course , we should all have to take a fishing course to get our fishing license! Maybe that otta teach people some common sence, and respect so that our kids , and grand children can catch trophys when were old and grey!
People should atleast be able to read, and understand the regulations

Lets save our fish!
Finally , someone with the same train of thought as I . You have to take a course to be able to hunt , to drive a boat , why not fishing . It might make the mortality rate of fish go down . Proper handleing wouldnt be such a bad thing for people to learn .
Old 02-28-2012, 06:14 PM

More regulations = more FREEDOM lost...

Want more regs ....move here to Ontario......it's sickenning here...
very corrupt too....

They have limited coyotes to 2 per hunter/year....need hunting card $30.00, small game licence $22.00 and $10.00 coyote tags each..2 limit...
for residents!!!

fishing licence cost me $74.00 for the year!!!
moose is $50.00....pay first then apply for lottery with 7% success rate..(calculated at 1 tag every 33 years)..if you don't draw a tag they keep your money....!!...thank suckers...

you are allowed 1 walleye over 18"

Game wardens take fishing licence revenues and secretly stock their own secret lakes while sending you on wild goose chases to empty lakes that are supposed to be stocked....

This is what has become of regulations in Ontario....
Old 02-28-2012, 06:30 PM
Banned

Cool

I agree ,but all license revenue MUST be returned to the fishery ,fines,tags,environment infractions. the money generated must be put back in to improving albertas fisherys. otherwise just an other government money grab. an age limit of 16 must also be installed. younger than that a child should be free to fish as they wish.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:36 PM

If were going to bring something like that in, why not bring in a fishing rod registry while were at it. Makes about the same amount of sense.

Last edited by bigfishen; 02-28-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Banned

You might as well throw in the requirement to have courses to camp, hike, swim, ski, snowboard, quad, snowmobile, fly a kite, ride a bike, fly a remote controlled model aeroplane, snorkel, snowshoe, jog, walk...........

It'll be a sad day when a kid can't go down to the local pond and throw a line in because he doesn't have a course, but hey...........If it only saves the life of one fish the course would be worth it.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:46 PM

The hunter's education course was to show people the differences between species, tracks, outdoor survival etc... I think a educational course for fishing would be a great idea. Some people were just not raised in an outdoor environment and need to be taught the right way. It is important to identify what species they are pulling out of the waters. Same as taking down any other animal, you need to know what it is that you shot before the shot or you could end up in big trouble! I would like to see more educated people vs. winging it and feeding others b.s when they have no clue..
Old 02-28-2012, 06:59 PM

They do it in Germany and they pay for trout kept. I vote no, so much info on the web that wasn't invented when I was a kid, yet I and others before me managed just fine without any courses. Hell, half the fun is the learning.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:03 PM
camogirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
You might as well throw in the requirement to have courses to camp, hike, swim, ski, snowboard, quad, snowmobile, fly a kite, ride a bike, fly a remote controlled model aeroplane, snorkel, snowshoe, jog, walk...........

It'll be a sad day when a kid can't go down to the local pond and throw a line in because he doesn't have a course, but hey...........If it only saves the life of one fish the course would be worth it.
obviously not for children who will be accompanied by an adult with a fishing licence, teaching them the proper way of fishing !
Old 02-28-2012, 07:04 PM
camogirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Bowhunter View Post
The hunter's education course was to show people the differences between species, tracks, outdoor survival etc... I think a educational course for fishing would be a great idea. Some people were just not raised in an outdoor environment and need to be taught the right way. It is important to identify what species they are pulling out of the waters. Same as taking down any other animal, you need to know what it is that you shot before the shot or you could end up in big trouble! I would like to see more educated people vs. winging it and feeding others b.s when they have no clue..
Exactly that's what im trying to say , they should have the same kinda course as they do for hunting.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:06 PM
hunter49

YES...many of the "new canadian's" dont have a clue what they are keeping/size limits/bait bans, etc.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:08 PM
camogirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter49 View Post
YES...many of the "new canadian's" dont have a clue what they are keeping/size limits/bait bans, etc.
Thank you ! that's exactly what i was getting at !
Old 02-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Banned

So, what fishing course did you people that voted YES take?
Old 02-28-2012, 07:10 PM
BUCKMASTER7MMMAG.

maybe lower the 15 limit fish posetion to 10 and maby a quick identification test uppon purchaseing but nothing to extensive otherwise it because a burdonn to buy them for potential fishers
so to recap: identification on barb or no bar(obviously no barb) question, maby how do u properly remove hook multiple choice question should be good but not too extensive
Old 02-28-2012, 07:11 PM
BUCKMASTER7MMMAG.

as hunterdave said, what course did U take?, Hmm?
Old 02-28-2012, 07:12 PM

If the OP does decide to put this through theirs no way there going to remove it so be careful for what you wish for.
I think we should have a fish ID course so no door-nobs can say a walleye is a sucker fish like they do in sylvan lake but that's about it.
I do not think there should be a course on how to cast, catch the fish, etc that should be left to discover by yourself and not out of a book.

Lots of fish each year get caught and kept with the angler not even knowing what species of fish they are catching. This might be beneficial to our fishy friends.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:12 PM

I think a course for understanding the regs would not be all bad. Just look at how often people post stuff on this forum not knowing that they either broke the regs or are planning on it...
Old 02-28-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
I think a course for understanding the regs would not be all bad. Just look at how often people post stuff on this forum not knowing that they either broke the regs or are planning on it...
X2....

To the OP yes!! I think it is a good idea....BUT would it fly with the masses??? not sure.....

Try asking people who fish the bow how to identify the different trout in there....would make you shake your head....

LC
Old 02-28-2012, 07:17 PM
hunter49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCKMASTER7MMMAG. View Post
maybe lower the 15 limit fish posetion to 10
What the heck are you talking about? You obviously don't even know the rules yourself.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:18 PM
hunter49

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
So, what fishing course did you people that voted YES take?
I took the trout identification test offered by trout unlimited. I scored 100%. It was not very difficult, the hardest was trying to identify immature species of trout (brook trout vs bull trout).
Old 02-28-2012, 07:31 PM

Ignorance is no excuse when it comes to this subject! If a person cant read or understand the regulations and identify the fish or possession limits, to be put simply they should not be fishing!! I saw some guys at Macgregor a few years ago with a stringer of undersized pike and a few illegal walleye, Im talking 2 guys and like 20 fish. I let them know there was a size limit on pike and walleye were illegal to keep, they said "these duck fish" called rap, who showed up an hour or so after they left... I know that a test does not fix this, but it eliminates the "ignorance" card at least. Ive also seen families at the spillway, 2 guys fishing but keeping the limit for their 10 kids and grandparents, its pretty sad!

I think a test would sure help!
Old 02-28-2012, 07:38 PM

I can't believe it's the end of the month and there's people wanting more paperwork! If ya get a ticket have it where ya gotta take a course before ya can fish again. I take enough courses though work I shouldn't need a course to relax.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter49 View Post
I took the trout identification test offered by trout unlimited. I scored 100%. It was not very difficult, the hardest was trying to identify immature species of trout (brook trout vs bull trout).
Okay, you may need to know that because of the waters that you fish in.....good for you. I don't fish waters with bull trout in them so why should I have to know this?

Going on a course and having to know that is eerily similar to me having to know what the buoy markers mean in the pacific ocean in order to pass a test to get my boat licence so I can take my 12' aluminum boat out fishing on Peanut Lake.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnummike View Post
More regulations = more FREEDOM lost...

Want more regs ....move here to Ontario......it's sickenning here...
very corrupt too....

They have limited coyotes to 2 per hunter/year....need hunting card $30.00, small game licence $22.00 and $10.00 coyote tags each..2 limit...
for residents!!!

fishing licence cost me $74.00 for the year!!!
moose is $50.00....pay first then apply for lottery with 7% success rate..(calculated at 1 tag every 33 years)..if you don't draw a tag they keep your money....!!...thank suckers...

you are allowed 1 walleye over 18"

Game wardens take fishing licence revenues and secretly stock their own secret lakes while sending you on wild goose chases to empty lakes that are supposed to be stocked....

This is what has become of regulations in Ontario....
WOW don't know what Ont. your from
Old 02-28-2012, 08:20 PM
camogirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Krazy View Post
Ignorance is no excuse when it comes to this subject! If a person cant read or understand the regulations and identify the fish or possession limits, to be put simply they should not be fishing!! I saw some guys at Macgregor a few years ago with a stringer of undersized pike and a few illegal walleye, Im talking 2 guys and like 20 fish. I let them know there was a size limit on pike and walleye were illegal to keep, they said "these duck fish" called rap, who showed up an hour or so after they left... I know that a test does not fix this, but it eliminates the "ignorance" card at least. Ive also seen families at the spillway, 2 guys fishing but keeping the limit for their 10 kids and grandparents, its pretty sad!

I think a test would sure help!
agreed
Old 02-28-2012, 08:25 PM
Banned

I am not in favor of a fishing course, everything you need to know is in the regulations including how to release and identify fish. Maby if it was just a test like how hunting used to be I could see it but kids under 16 have no licence so what would you do about them? Perhaps if they would suspend a persons fishing licence untill a test was taken when they saw an angler releasing fish improperly or when a regulation is broken with ignorance as the excuse, I could see that working.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
If I have questions, I phone the fish cop shop. They always help me out.

A mandatory course is a ridiculous idea.

An optional course for people who want to learn more about fishing, is a good idea. Similar in style to the first time hunters course. All good ideas, but who's gonna do it?? The same old guys who do everything in our fish and game club????

Hey Camogirl, why dont you join your local fish and game club and propose this idea. Advertise it alot and I bet you get interest.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:40 PM

To "hunterdave" Just because I hunt whitetails, does that mean I do not need to know what a mule deer looks like, or because I hunt sharpies I dont need to know what a hen pheasant looks like?? Or a person who only fishes stocked trout, they should still know what a bull trout or walleye look like!! Same goes for the boating exam.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:49 PM
camogirl

[QUOTE=huntin'fool;1324172]If I have questions, I phone the fish cop shop. They always help me out.

A mandatory course is a ridiculous idea.

An optional course for people who want to learn more about fishing, is a good idea. Similar in style to the first time hunters course. All good ideas, but who's gonna do it?? The same old guys who do everything in our fish and game club????

Hey Camogirl, why dont you join your local fish and game club and propose this idea. Advertise it alot and I bet you get interest.[/QUOTE

i bet id get interest, probably the wrong kind lol, how about i propose whatever i want too no one has to agree, everyone has there own opinions!