Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2016, 03:35 PM
Banned

Default What will the legal landscape look like ?

What do you think the landscape will look like when marijuana is legalized ?

As a father it is concerning to an extent as to how and where it will be used.
I'm sure we have all had that neighbor that's kind of scetchy and always has that funky smell lingering around their home.

I for one don't want to be flipping steaks in my back yard and my children running about while my neighbor is sitting on his deck smoking some weird contraption.

I don't think it should be the same as if he were sitting on his deck drinking a beer because it doesn't bother anyone.

It's inevitable that we are going to half to deal with this and they better get the rules straight right from the get go.

I refuse to have this catorigized as being as normal as smoking in public places and it shouldn't be and the first time I hear my kids say, what is that smell I will probably loose my cool.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:39 PM

I'm wondering what the cops are doing right now knowing that this legislation is coming. Do you arrest the guy with his little baggie and charge him with possession, and then in 3 months it's legal? What about all those with illegal possession charges against them, are they all pardoned? How does that happen?

I guess we all know who's going to be paying for this.

BW
Old 01-20-2016, 03:48 PM

Oh brother...
Old 01-20-2016, 03:52 PM

Personally I doubt it will be legal anytime soon. After all, it was a Liberal election promise.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
I'm sure we have all had that neighbor that's kind of scetchy and always has that funky smell lingering around their home....

the first time I hear my kids say, what is that smell I will probably loose my cool.
What do you say to them now? What do you say when they smell cigarette smoke, or see people (you?) drink alcohol? You probably tell them what it is, and depending on your own personal views, why it's not a good idea for them to do it, that it's against the law for them to do it, etc. etc. We should all be having those conversations with our kids regardless if the neighbourhood pothead is out on the deck or not.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:13 PM

What concerns me is that to the best of my knowledge they don't have a quick easy way for an officer to check the level of it in there blood to determine if they are suitable to be behind the wheel and now they won't be afraid to smoke it up good and go for a drive because the officers can't prove and charge them for driving impaired.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHRVN View Post
What concerns me is that to the best of my knowledge they don't have a quick easy way for an officer to check the level of it in there blood to determine if they are suitable to be behind the wheel and now they won't be afraid to smoke it up good and go for a drive because the officers can't prove and charge them for driving impaired.
I don't know if what you say is true, but agree that would be a concern. But then, it's a concern now. How do they deal with pot smokers behind the wheel now if they don't find any weed actually on them?
Old 01-20-2016, 04:18 PM

Don't worry. It will never be legalized on a federal level. Only way they can do it is to give the jurisdiction to the provinces just like in the states.
Justin has already said this.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beltburner View Post
Don't worry. It will never be legalized on a federal level. Only way they can do it is to give the jurisdiction to the provinces just like in the states.
Justin has already said this.
Isn't the prohibition in the criminal code? And isn't the criminal code federal? I don't think your statement is correct. Medical marijuana isn't province by province.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHRVN View Post

You should be more concerned about the majority of society being on legal phamaceutical dope which is handed out like candy these days.

There are plenty of drugs test available to law enforcement for road side test on the illegal stuff, but again the smarties we prescribe are a nonstarter for the most part.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:49 PM

Go find me a tree growing a six-pack of beer or a bottle of Jack Daniel's whiskey.

To each his own.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep dog View Post
Go find me a tree growing a six-pack of beer or a bottle of Jack Daniel's whiskey.

To each his own.
Those things don't come from trees silly, they come from grain fields
Old 01-20-2016, 05:27 PM

First of all people get pulled over and given DUIS for weed there is a swab for that second dunk drivers and alcohol have killed more people in a day then weed has EVER. How is one better then the other....... cigarettes kill Evan more people then drunk drivers alcohol homicide and any other cide you can think of. And people will pick up buts from the ground just to ha e a puff I have never ever seen or herd of that with a pot smoker. I was a pot smoker and now I chose not to be not for my family or friends because I don't want to anymore. If the government makes it legal to smoke. Then drug dealers have no need to sell it opening up officers to fight real crimes. By selling it and taxing it and regulating the government will make money that our economy desperately needs right now. I'm not an advocate I just saying get some facts befor you say things.its everyone's right to choose if you want to drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes or weed.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:28 PM

It was just a way for justin to get votes. It's too bad all these potheads were too stoned too realize it. I doubt it will happen any time soon but before the next election they will start talking about it so he can get votes from all same people that voted just for this reason.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:29 PM

Chrétien promissed the same thing at the beginning of his term. 3 international treaties need to be rewritten, 2 signed by Liberals, 1 by Mulroney. Not gonna happen, ploy to get votes.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:04 PM

The legal landscape will look far out man.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:05 PM

Not a thing would be different than it is now should it be legalized. There will be no surge in users. Very few people will have the legalities of it dictate if they will be a user or not. I have a diverse circle of people in my life, out of 100, 20 smoke pot and 80 do not. If it was legal tomorrow, those numbers would remain the exact same.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:10 PM

Marijuana will NOT be legalized. Canada would have to break several already signed international treaties.

If turd does this, he'd have to admit it is ok to not sign the UN gun marking scheme treaty and the arms treaty.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:49 PM

It will remain illegal here until our US-fed true overlords change their tune.

Only way that will happen is as more and more individual states legalize it and the ridiculousness & waste of the war on pot becomes impossible to ignore.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:09 PM

Default Funny

A swab to reveal intoxication levels for drivers using Marijhuana ? There is no device for this, as there has also been no decision/laws on what level legal intoxication will be deemed. IE, .08 blood alcohol for drinkers. Trace drug can be found in urine for some time after, but the short term detectors for Mary Jane vanish quickly.
Justin has already backed away from this, his main platform.
Now its onto the next lie.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:

I'm sure we have all had that neighbor that's kind of scetchy and always has that funky smell lingering around their home.

I for one don't want to be flipping steaks in my back yard and my children running about while my neighbor is sitting on his deck smoking some weird contraption.

I don't think it should be the same as if he were sitting on his deck drinking a beer because it doesn't bother anyone.

It's inevitable that we are going to half to deal with this and they better get the rules straight right from the get go.

I refuse to have this catorigized as being as normal as smoking in public places and it shouldn't be and the first time I hear my kids say, what is that smell I will probably loose my cool.
So how would you explain vaping to the kids? The future for cannabis is oderless vaping. I suspect that vaping will also be used for various forthcoming prescription drugs.

Last edited by winged1; 01-20-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:20 PM

KREM Spokane just had a segment how grow OP's are reducing the vacancy rate in lower end commercial properties.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:26 PM
Banned

Default What will the legal landscape look like ?

What if I don't like the smell of your burnt steaks ?

Your children running around the neighbourhood?

I'm in my house
You are in yours

You'll do things I don't like
I'll do things that you don't like

But then I'll talk to you.

If you're cutting your grass at 9 am

We'll agree on noon or later

If I'm smoking my grass at noon

You'll ask when the kids are in school or bed.

Ok

No big deal

Sketchy neighbours will always be there

It'll become routine

Better they learn from you what the smell is

But then we'll have new groups form
Like anti smoking
And you won't be able to fart in public

Let alone smoke any legal substance
Old 01-20-2016, 07:27 PM

Hahaha how many weird and offensive smells and weird contraptions are out there? How do you explain google glasses? Ohhhhh how will my children survive LOL. The smoke, the fumes, the insanity!

If you make it into a big thing it'll be a big thing. If you downplay it as annoyance it'll be just an annoyance. Your choice
Old 01-20-2016, 07:32 PM

I don't care either way. I think the Feds will make it a provincial problem. He can save face this way. Then the provinces can decide similar to what the states are doing. With the economy the way it is it's a good tax grab for the provinces. Once this is done then the Feds will come back asking for their cut.

One mans opinion.

BW
Old 01-20-2016, 08:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
What if I don't like the smell of your burnt steaks ?

Your children running around the neighbourhood?

I'm in my house
You are in yours

You'll do things I don't like
I'll do things that you don't like

But then I'll talk to you.

If you're cutting your grass at 9 am

We'll agree on noon or later

If I'm smoking my grass at noon

You'll ask when the kids are in school or bed.

Ok

No big deal

Sketchy neighbours will always be there

It'll become routine

Better they learn from you what the smell is

But then we'll have new groups form
Like anti smoking
And you won't be able to fart in public

Let alone smoke any legal substance
You raise some real good points here
Old 01-20-2016, 08:21 PM

Default I do not indulge any more, at all ...

Quote:

but do you really think your kids are not going to know exactly what it is and try it out at some point, legal or illegal? Maybe a parent ought to have a sincere and objective discussion of the issues with one's kids, instead of attempting to bubble wrap them against such "horrors". Maybe if your neighbour is a real pothead and they can see first hand its effects on his behaviour and motivation it will actually be an example of "not" (?). Maybe prohibition makes it more attractive (?).

My kids (now adults) have tried it, of course, and are not very inclined - I never discouraged them - in fact I was very honest about my own experiences with pot and other drugs right from the first time the issue was raised (hell, I remember the very frank first discussion involving myself, my ex BIL, equally honest about things, and both sets of kids, then maybe 7-12 in the group). It is almost as good as "legal" now anyway - it is everywhere and readily available, and so long as one is not doing major distribution, the authorities do not really care. Both my boys think it should be legalized as a practical economic and social matter - not because they care to use themselves. Those who are inclined to make it a major life institution will do so whether it is legal or not. We may as well just learn that prohibition is demonstrably a total failure and waste of public resources, and regulate and tax it - make it unprofitable for the criminal element.

Of course, Shiny Pony jumped in on this one without the slightest conception of any of the treaties that make it almost impossible to fulfil his "promise". He undoubtedly is still unable to grasp the complexities involved. And Liberano promises are historically just meaningless election rhetoric anyway (?).

I don't think it will be any great "social apocalypse", or that there will be any reason for you to "lose your cool" over the presence of the smell in "public", if you objectively educate your kids as to the realities. Its legalization is virtually inevitable, and probably much preferable to the current miasma of unenforcable regulation.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:19 PM

I'm not against it. It's not my thing but some people like it.

I don't see this working out very well. There will still be an underground drug trade around it even if legalized. If the guy down the street is making a better product and selling for less then the government that's who will get the money.

There will be many regulations on it that may not be liked. How it's taxed. Amounts allowed. Can you grow, how many plants you can have. Goes on and on.

I really don't think this promise was thought out just another promise.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:24 PM

^ Doubtful, who buys shine these days at any price?
Old 01-20-2016, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Isn't the prohibition in the criminal code? And isn't the criminal code federal? I don't think your statement is correct. Medical marijuana isn't province by province.
It's all smoke and mirrors.Trudeau knew that under the Canadian constitution the Provinces have exclusive jurisdiction over property. The only way the Feds were able to ban the stuff in the first place was through the Criminal Code, which is Federal. But the Provinces have to confirm the federal amendments to the Criminal Code and usually do so with an enabling act of the provincial legislature. Want the right to possess pot? Have your province rescind their Enabling Act for pot. That, basically, is what Colorado and a few others have done; our Constitutions actually are pretty similar...... at least in that respect.