Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2016, 09:20 PM

Default Fighting in the NHL

yes .. no .. what's your side ..the Mcgrattan fight is an eye opener .. do we need this in the NHL ?
Old 01-20-2016, 09:29 PM

All for it. 100%
Old 01-20-2016, 09:30 PM

Its part of the game.

There are well known risks to playing the game, injuries - and specifically brain injuries are part of that.

Accept or don't play??
Old 01-20-2016, 09:31 PM

As far as 'need' goes, no it isn't needed. That being said, neither is hitting, or curved sticks, or a lot of things for that matter. The game can be played without these things, but how entertaining is it?

Watch the video of the McGrattan fight, and listen to the crowd. Tell me what the average fan thinks of fighting in hockey, and then draw your own conclusion to the impact it would have removing it from the big show.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:32 PM

Yep, without fighting, hitting, rough stuff, it would be just a snoozefest. Violence sells (to a degree). Check out boxing, MMA, ect...and see how and why it is so popular.
These guys are getting paid handsomely to do it as well
Old 01-20-2016, 09:35 PM

I believe fighting a natural instinct within hockey starting young. It would take a looooong time to phase it out.

Oh and yes.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:37 PM

Wouldnt hurt my feelings if no fighting was implemented.

Used to think it was good to have. Not so much any more.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
As far as 'need' goes, no it isn't needed. That being said, neither is hitting, or curved sticks, or a lot of things for that matter. The game can be played without these things, but how entertaining is it?

Watch the video of the McGrattan fight, and listen to the crowd. Tell me what the average fan thinks of fighting in hockey, and then draw your own conclusion to the impact it would have removing it from the big show.
I agree, and anyone that signs a contract knows what they are signing on to. McGrattan even acknowledged himself that the enforcer role is a job that is slowly being forgotten at an NHL level.....but if teams are going to pay someone with less skill to do it...well, there will always be someone ready to take that cheque.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:41 PM

Yes, fighting is a part of hockey. Do you think for a second Wayne Gretzky would have had the career he did without Semenko, Brown, or Mcsorley looking out for him? Nobody took liberties with him (except the Richardson hit) because of the fear factor. Mario Lemieux might have had a longer career if he had a true enforcer looking out for him.

Most importantly, it's two grown men choosing to fight.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:41 PM

I don't mind it, but I think the game is better without it.

In the playoffs, when the game is the best, nobody drops the gloves. Having two stiff line up 2 minutes after somebody breaks an unwritten rule only slows down the game.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwilly View Post
I don't mind it, but I think the game is better without it.

In the playoffs, when the game is the best, nobody drops the gloves. Having two stiff line up 2 minutes after somebody breaks an unwritten rule only slows down the game.
Best playoffs I have seen in a long time was 2 or 3 years ago. Philly and Pittsburgh. Lot's of gloves came off in that series. Wasn't just "enforcers" either. Fan of neither team, but watched most of the games
Old 01-20-2016, 09:49 PM
Banned

Some people like fighting in hockey. Some people like soccer.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:02 PM

As a rugby player and fan, (and having played some mens league hockey) I think fighting in hockey is kind of silly. There's lots of opportunity to get up in each other's faces, hit hard and often, and otherwise stake territory/protection/consequences without dropping the gloves.

But, it's part of the culture of the sport, so can understand why others support it.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:09 PM
Banned

Without fighting it's just a few guys on skates...

Might as well call it figure skating.

I like watching a hockey fight, and a game breaks out.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:18 PM
Banned

You take the emotion out of the game and you are left with what we have now in the nhl....crap hockey. Over paid coasters that are boring to watch. The staged fighting is a joke, bring back the animals.... long live the Hansons
Old 01-20-2016, 10:24 PM

Seriously though fighting, to some degree, or the possibility of it - changes the scope of the game.

Especially come playoff time, and you KNOW the same arsehole is targeting you EVERY NIGHT.

It what makes the game exciting, not only to watch but especially to play.

Psycologically - it is a game changer. What would it be otherwise ?? A bunch of 250lb guys prancing around each other.

Lame.

Keep it up.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:09 PM

Its going to be gone in 5 years. Amazed it is not already. I am ok with that. Never had a problem with 2 guys going at it in the heat of the moment, however the staged fight is a disgusting side show. I think the NHL will change before its forced too.

I can watched youtube highlights of Wendy and Probby., back when they were men in the league. Half the fights now are two guys hugging while hitting each others visors, Guys don't swing much any more, its become hold on for dear life.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:12 PM

No and it should have been gone a long time ago.

If you want to watch a fight watch UFC or boxing where the guys actually are capable fighters...

That isn't to say fighting still won't happen, even if you get rid of it like what most other sports have done/tried to do there are still going to be the odd fight when things get out of hand. The difference is just in the punishment, instead of being cheered you get a fine/suspension.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
No and it should have been gone a long time ago.

If you want to watch a fight watch UFC or boxing where the guys actually are capable fighters...

That isn't to say fighting still won't happen, even if you get rid of it like what most other sports have done/tried to do there are still going to be the odd fight when things get out of hand. The difference is just in the punishment, instead of being cheered you get a fine/suspension.
You don't think current NHL players are capable fighers ?? What would you like to see - a reverse guillotine??

I can promise you they hit harder than a mule and an opposing opponent doesnt want to feel that on their face - most days.

This changes the scope of the game.

I enjoy the canadian/russian style of hockey - europe can keep their game.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:23 PM

It's part of the game and always has been! I've got buddies that were enforcers, nobody made them be there to do that. These guys can have a good tilt then go for a beer. There are bigger things to worry about like the size of body armor worn on shoulders and elbows. Just my 2 cents
Old 01-20-2016, 11:33 PM
Banned

Nothing sends a message to an opposing player better than a few of his teeth laying on the ice!
Old 01-20-2016, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINEHURST-PIKE-FREAK View Post
Nothing sends a message to an opposing player better than a few of his teeth laying on the ice!
Exactly.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:43 PM

I grew up in a hockey family 4 boys all played high lvl hockey and I can say that fighting is a much a part of the game as is any nice goal or huge defensive hit. It keeps other team on there toes as not to play dirty behind the play or they will face some recourse and I can tell u fighters love to do the job and stand up for there teammates. I cant even see hockey without fighting it is the game and people who say it shouldn't be obviously have never laced up and truly bleed the game. Long live Canadian hockey
Old 01-20-2016, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
You don't think current NHL players are capable fighers ?? What would you like to see - a reverse guillotine??

I can promise you they hit harder than a mule and an opposing opponent doesnt want to feel that on their face - most days.

This changes the scope of the game.

I enjoy the canadian/russian style of hockey - europe can keep their game.
It doesn't change a thing other then getting rid of staged fights...

There will still be fights when things get out of hand. If a guy takes a cheapshot you can almost guarantee even if fights are illegal there will still be a skirmish. As I said before the only difference is the punishment and getting rid of the unnecessary fights.

There have been too many serious injuries, brain damage, even deaths and suicides linked to fights in hockey to keep this barbaric practice in the sport.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:03 AM

Quote:

There will still be fights when things get out of hand. If a guy takes a cheapshot you can almost guarantee even if fights are illegal there will still be a skirmish. As I said before the only difference is the punishment and getting rid of the unnecessary fights.

There have been too many serious injuries, brain damage, even deaths and suicides linked to fights in hockey to keep this barbaric practice in the sport.
You don't think these guys, that are getting paid millions per year, or potentially millions a year don't know this??

This is the game they grew up watching with their dads, playing as a kid and thrived as an adult. They give everything, including their body for the sport.

Do you think THEY want to abolish fighting?? Get real - its a way of life for these boys.

If you dont like it - maybe try taking up a real sport....like knitting.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:10 AM

^^^^
Old 01-21-2016, 12:14 AM

Fighting in the NHL is down 50% since 2010. If hockey is truly a part of the game (which I believe it is), then the game is quickly changing. I enjoy a good hockey fight, but I can't say that I've even noticed the massive decline.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINEHURST-PIKE-FREAK View Post
Player A hits player B, then player C fights player D. Makes no sense.
Get rid of the instigator rule, then things will come back to what it's supposed to be. Right now fighting in hockey is silly. Beat em on the scoreboard, that's where it counts the most.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:56 AM

Quote:

If you think there are to many injuries linked to the fighting, take fighting out and watch the injuries double. Your gonna see more cheapshots, stick work, and 230 lb guys running 170 lb stars. Why not? Nobody's gonna step out on the ice next shift and deal with it... The possibility of someone having to fight for their actions makes people think about taking those actions in the first place.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:44 AM

Personally I think it's kinda dumb, like we haven't moved forward since the Collesium in Rome 2000 years ago. I find the fights are pretty lame too, both guys on skates holding each other's jerseys. Not exactly middleweight boxing..

BUT, it is a choice for people to take part AND the players get paid quite well for what they do, and they likely wouldn't get to play in the NHL if it were any other way.

Playoff hockey is great, with or without fights.