Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-16-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
Regs don't take effect until Apr 1
And PCR is closed March 31st....I can see people lined up everywhere on May 15th....Hundreds of people maybe?LOL
Old 03-16-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Remember your freezer limit of 3 is included in your daily limit. Fill your freezer and you fall into the dark side poaching group which I bet there will be many this year.
x2....I can see this being a huge posession issue already....
Old 03-16-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
x2....I can see this being a huge posession issue already....
They knew that when they changed the regs to 3 of anything. My guess is that not only do they not really care, they're banking on it. They want PCR cleaned out ASAP...
Old 03-16-2017, 02:50 PM

Wayne is correct about the fish reaching the end of their cycle.

The walleye in PCR are not stunted they are a breed that grows to the 40cm size you mainly catch in there.

F&W biologist explained it to me a few yrs. back. Seems it was an experiment they wanted to try.

Now, it seems they have to harvest some to get everything back into balance IMO.

Sure would be nice if they would put in some perch and or white fish to help feed the pike.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:00 PM

I am struggling to accept this claim the walleye are genetically limited to 40cm.
My BS detector is buzzing loudly
Old 03-16-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
They knew that when they changed the regs to 3 of anything. My guess is that not only do they not really care, they're banking on it. They want PCR cleaned out ASAP...
I agree x2

They want it cleaned out of walleye as soon as possible.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
And PCR is closed March 31st....I can see people lined up everywhere on May 15th....Hundreds of people maybe?LOL
Where does it say it's closed till May 15th? On the new regs, which takes effect on April 1st, it states that it's open all year...
Old 03-16-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Wayne is correct about the fish reaching the end of their cycle.

The walleye in PCR are not stunted they are a breed that grows to the 40cm size you mainly catch in there.

F&W biologist explained it to me a few yrs. back. Seems it was an experiment they wanted to try.

Now, it seems they have to harvest some to get everything back into balance IMO.

Sure would be nice if they would put in some perch and or white fish to help feed the pike.
What "breed" of walleye is that? I think the "biologist" you spoke to might have been sipping on the juice too much.

I was under the impression that Sander Vitreus (Walleye) are the only species of Walleye found in North America. I was also under the impression there are no other "breeds" from a scientific and/or genetic perspective. If that is true, then it would be impossible for a "breed" to exist and even less possible that that impossible breed be smaller at maturity as a function of their "breed".

Most, if not all, All walleye that are stocked into Alberta Lakes, come from other Alberta water bodies as live capture transplants. Walleye is not a common species to rear in a hatchery as far as I know here in Canada.

This is the most common, economical and effective method of successfully introducing this species (Walleye).

On another note ....

I am pretty sure it's against the law for the province to introduce a new species, into a watershed, of any fish that has not been listed with the Federal Fisheries Department. Ironically, and unless it's a top secret experiment, that the Biologist let you in on, the only listed species is that of the common walleye - Sander Vitreus.

On another note ....

Since the Walleye are at the bottom of the Taxonomic Hierarchy (the tree branches that define organisms down to sub-species) - doesn't that make it impossible to have other species of Walleye?

Am I wrong? If I am please extend my sincere apologies.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:10 PM

Well then who can explain the small walleye that are in pcr.

I do not know anyone who has caught much over 40cm and nothing on the fat side either.

Lack of food? not enough vitamins in the food? You seem to know the answer so what is it then.

A mystery for sure don't ya think. Or could it just be a walleye that does not grow much over 40 cm.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:27 PM

Why is the changes going to fish the lakes out when 99 % of the people on here say they are catch & release and and the other 1% going to kill all the fishfinally a good fish fry
Old 03-16-2017, 04:58 PM
Banned

Quote:

I do not know anyone who has caught much over 40cm and nothing on the fat side either.

Lack of food? not enough vitamins in the food? You seem to know the answer so what is it then.

A mystery for sure don't ya think. Or could it just be a walleye that does not grow much over 40 cm.

I believe this was explained at the beginning of the recent survey. Not a special breed.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_rice_man View Post
Where does it say it's closed till May 15th? On the new regs, which takes effect on April 1st, it states that it's open all year...
My bad....Just looked the regs up and we are fishing PCR as of April 1st for our limit of walleye...LOL

Last edited by kevinhits; 03-16-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:16 PM

It will open April 1 as per the 2017 Regs feel free to confirm with F&W
Old 03-16-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
My bad....Just looked the regs up and we are fishing PCR as of April 1st for our limit of walleye...LOL
The way i see it, April 1st go fish pine coulee and you will be fine. Want a real answer call Fish and Feathers.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
I would have preferred a retention of 1 on pcr, if we are honest with ourselves that wasn't a healthy ecosystem, all those fish were stunted and eating themselves out of house and home, hopefully this allows other fish species to live and thrive. Perhaps we can see some perch or whitefish introduced as baitfish was sorely missing and the walleye eating all the pike and burbot should end.
X2
Old 03-16-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
The way i see it, April 1st go fish pine coulee and you will be fine. Want a real answer call Fish and Feathers.
Regs look pretty clear to me....Fishing PCR beyond April 1st this year
Old 03-16-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoel View Post
I believe the bigger issue is the release of live bait such as worms or crawlers where they are not native.
I've done some undergrad research on this and theres only one native species of worm in Alberta and it's only in the southern region. All worms in the soil are pretty much due to fisherman and farmers hahahha
Old 03-16-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
What "breed" of walleye is that?

Since the Walleye are at the bottom of the Taxonomic Hierarchy (the tree branches that define organisms down to sub-species) - doesn't that make it impossible to have other species of Walleye?

Am I wrong? If I am please extend my sincere apologies.
You're essentially right, so don't be sorry. There could be morphs in different lakes because of genetic isolation, but if walleye are transferred into PCR then yeah they're not probably not unique. To comment towards person that you're replying to, no they aren't a certain breed, the population is just constrained from the amount of food source, or id assume (I've never fished PCR). It could be a few other state factors as well, ecology isn't black and white.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:

The size is most likely due to stunting because of lack of food.

The same thing is visible with the walleye they stocked in Wabamun which have had a very poor growth rate.

The issue with the walleye in PCR is not the size, it is the lack of recruitment that has sparked the change.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
The size is most likely due to stunting because of lack of food.

The same thing is visible with the walleye they stocked in Wabamun which have had a very poor growth rate.

The issue with the walleye in PCR is not the size, it is the lack of recruitment that has sparked the change.
This is true!
Old 03-16-2017, 08:00 PM

with all this talk about the pcr eyes what about the burbot population? haven't been there in a few years, are they still doing good?
Old 03-16-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
with all this talk about the pcr eyes what about the burbot population? haven't been there in a few years, are they still doing good?
i think they were decimated a few years back

thanks to this board.

hopefully there is some in there still somewhere.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
The population of both burbot and pike are quite depressed right now, they got hit hard by fishermen and then any chance of recovery is pounded by the walleye eating all the fry in the lake. It isn't the most prolific lake for food in the first place due to lack of shallows, weedbeds, huge fluctuations in water levels, water doesn't provide high amount of plankton... What fry do hatch are usually eaten rather quickly by overpopulated walleye, very few fish make it to adulthood so this change is long overdue, it'll just be interesting how quickly and drastic the change is
Old 03-17-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Sweet! Thought I missed something! I'll see you there on the 1st! LOL!
Old 03-17-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_rice_man View Post
Sweet! Thought I missed something! I'll see you there on the 1st! LOL!
You bet..LOL..

Based on the weather forecast, I may bring my trailer out early for the 1st and take my boys out camping
Old 03-17-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
Really hate to see the PCR change, I used it as an introduction spot for newby's, mobility impaired friend, grandkids, morning fishery with neighbours, get the boat running in the spring etc.. AER asked for input until early March 2017, the Regs. must have been finalized and into printers by that date. Sad really, they did not want any input it would seem. I guess in a few years we will may have another put and take small trout fishery.
As other have stated opening days will be a gong show. Might be fun to watch if it wasn't so sad.
I would have thought that if they really wanted the walleye out of there, maybe a one or two tag system for kids etc. may have sufficed. At least that would keep the whole thing some what manageable.
You make it sound like they are removing the lake. You can still do all those nice things, and all your newbies, etc. can learn how to catch,clean and cook a fish to boot ! The only difference in a small trout fishery and a small walleye fishery is that you can keep some legally.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
You make it sound like they are removing the lake. You can still do all those nice things, and all your newbies, etc. can learn how to catch,clean and cook a fish to boot ! The only difference in a small trout fishery and a small walleye fishery is that you can keep some legally.
That is so NOT true...
Old 03-17-2017, 07:11 PM
Banned

One I've always been curious about, has anyone been stopped by a Sask fish and game officer on Cold Lake?? Our regs say you can fish the entire lake with AB licence, but Sask says you need a Sask licence to fish Sask side of lake.
Anybody?
Old 03-17-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
That is so NOT true...
Well, when you put it that way, who can argue ??
Old 03-17-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
Well, when you put it that way, who can argue ??
If you don't know the difference between fishing for walleye and fishing for trout, I'm afraid there's not much to "argue" about.