Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-28-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1Magpie View Post
Hi Folks,

I'm new to this forum,and like too say I've enjoyed reading the post's here for about 6 monthes. Now over this time I've seen post's like this one and I know where people are coming from! I too have been checked out on the lakes for barbed hooks, Now I'm the type of person who trys to the best of my abillity to play by the rules, but when things don't add up I'll reserch!!! Now I called F&W and asked them about the barbless hook deal. I was told that there is no offical test NO line test and NO Q-tip test of any kind for the F&W officers too use. They are looking to see that you have pintched your barbs to the best of your abillaty. If they are not satisfied they will "educate" you. Good enough for me. Now I have had differance of oppinions with C.O.'s on this and a few other things such as.
The F&W officer told me if there is ever an issue like this that I should call them right then and there, as Fish and wild life officers are the athority on any matters like this one.

Hopefully this helps, I don't want to knock the C.O's but it seems they are read from a different rule book than the one we are expected to play from.
Good post.

Reading from a different rule book than the one we are expected to play from is way to common in other areas as well.

I assume the barb is designed by the manufacturer with the intent to help prevent the hook from slipping back out of the fishes mouth once it has protruded through. Theoretically more fish may stay on with the barb however it is likely to do more damage even during the removal of the hook which I can attest to from the barb permitted days.

Regulations have been put in place to remove barbs (Simple concept to understand) to reduce injury to fish that are caught which in turn would increase the likelyhood of more fish being released.

End result more fish for us to catch.

I know BLAGH BLAGH BLAGH.

Bottom Line follow the rules....No Barbs and No bad Acronyms

CR
Old 01-28-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valve god View Post
Yes I have lost more fish because of barbless hooks BUT I have adapted and changed the way I fish. It can be a little more challenging but personlly I love the challenge I have lost big fish barbed and barbless Yes it sucks that you have to re-bait all the time but that is the name of the game.
My tip-ups don't work the same they did when I run barbed hooks but I have adapted. I built a system using my casting rod that sets the hook and keeps tension on the line until I can get to again I adapted. The laws are always changing when it comes to fishing and hunting so, when they change we have to adapt.
There is so much we all can learn from this site by exchanging tips and ideas instead of insults
But this is just my opinon
I'm picking up what your putting down. Good Post. I just get frustrated when someone is just whining over something like this issue of barb's/no-barbs. It's a sport right? Hey my son had a goal called back because of an off-side at his hockey game the other night.... but you won't here me crying saying there shouldn't be off-side's!!?? Rules are Rules play by them or go home I say.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked07 View Post
So far this year I have personally lost over 50% of fish due to barbless through the ice and I'm damn sick of it!!!
At first I was a little skeptical of going barbless. Now after doing it for several years, I am 100% for it.
As for losing 50% of your fish, that’s the operator not the equipment. You have to learn to fish with barbless hooks. I land as many fish with barbless hooks as I did with barbed hooks. Last year alone I landed over 2000 fish. I would say that my loss was less than 3%.
Oh yeah when you stick a hook in your jacket or something else it sure is a h&ll of a lot easier to get out compared to a barbed hook.

Quote:
This whole mortalilty issue is for the birds, I don't recall seeing dead fish floating everywhere when barbs were legal so what gives?
As for the mortality thing being for the birds give this a try.
- Take two identical hooks.
- Pinch or remove the barbs on one hook.
- Stick the barbed hook ¼ inch into your right thumb and then pull it out.
- Stick the barbless hook ¼ inch into your left thumb and then pull it out.
- Tomorrow tell us which one you though felt better coming out.

Quote:
I will be going back to good 'ol barbs with my snippers in my pocket at the ready, damn, I just lost my hook sir?!
Oh yes that’s the mature responsible thing to do. Good on ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Rules are Rules play by them or go home I say.
X2

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 01-28-2010, 04:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
I'm picking up what your putting down. Good Post. I just get frustrated when someone is just whining over something like this issue of barb's/no-barbs. It's a sport right? Hey my son had a goal called back because of an off-side at his hockey game the other night.... but you won't here me crying saying there shouldn't be off-side's!!?? Rules are Rules play by them or go home I say.
very nicely put!!!!
Old 01-28-2010, 04:34 PM

Im pretty certain i lose more fish from snapped lines and missed hits rather than Barbless
Old 01-28-2010, 05:04 PM

My take on barbless is this...for most species of Alberta fish, it doesn't really matter whether the hooks are barbed or not. A hook sized properly will find its way home and for the most part, stay put until you get the fish in. Now, in some species, like salmon, that have very hard mouths, the chances of a hook being "spit" are much greater, this I know from experience.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:11 PM

Wink woooooooooooooooo...

i just throw dinamite down the hole no fish gets away. and wen they come blastin out there already to eat...:mad2 :
Old 01-28-2010, 07:21 PM

Talking

Wow! Am I surprised at what I have just read. For a bunch of grown men, all of the little kid banter and insults have gotten way out of control! Seriously, gaff, dynamite, and handguns...and people are complaining that a barbed hook is illegal, get those outrageous ideas out of here! I understand that some of these posts are purely for entertainment purposes but there are people on this site that do take what they read seriously.

Keeping the line taught while reeling in is one of the best ways to ensure you will land your fish above the ice. Barbed hooks are illegal; break the law and be prepared to pay...if you get caught! With the amount of fishing that Hooked does, I'm sure that his success rate is much more than 50%! Ever think that he wanted to find out what others opinions are on this topic?

As for losing bait due to barbless hooks, take a tiny piece of a jig and put it on your hook after you bait it, it will help in keeping the bait on the hook a bit better. Or stick a treble hook through the smelt then attach it to the leader. The fish will have to fight to get that bait away from your hook! Just some suggestions that work for me!

In my opinion, this site is great for reading about other people's tips and tricks. Keep the insults and bickering to yourself!
Old 01-28-2010, 08:47 PM

Question Right & Wrong

Right or wrong its expensive to pay the fine when you have been caught.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:09 PM
Banned

u know what... if u need to feed your family and there is no other way and the only way u feel u can catch fish is with barbed hooks then ill look away... but only then... if ur out fishing for sport and dont need the meat... then go **** urself fish like the rest of us do...
Old 01-28-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmag View Post
My advice to you is to take your boy into shallow water and target walleye/pike, i am sure he would have much more fun. 60-80 ft is a long way up to bring a fish no matter what your expereince is. At 8 yrs old a fish is a fish, doesn't matter what the species is.

I have a 5yr old, that can handle a rod pretty good for his age. I tried taking him perch fishing and pretty much the same thing happened as you. 20ft of water and 10-15 ft up he would lose it. He was discouraged and not having much fun and cuts into my time by time i get him set up again. If he comes out with me now we just target walleye and he has a blast. If i am out solo i will try my luck at perch.

Just gotta adapt to the changes, good luck!!!
I have a 6 year old daughter that loves to catch fish and my bud has a boy the same age.When we take them out we keep it simple.They have as much fun catching Jacks and walleye as they would any other species.At 6 years old they catch them, Reel them in and hold them up for the camera all on their own.They always have fun.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmag View Post
My advice to you is to take your boy into shallow water and target walleye/pike, i am sure he would have much more fun. 60-80 ft is a long way up to bring a fish no matter what your expereince is. At 8 yrs old a fish is a fish, doesn't matter what the species is.

I have a 5yr old, that can handle a rod pretty good for his age. I tried taking him perch fishing and pretty much the same thing happened as you. 20ft of water and 10-15 ft up he would lose it. He was discouraged and not having much fun and cuts into my time by time i get him set up again. If he comes out with me now we just target walleye and he has a blast. If i am out solo i will try my luck at perch.

Just gotta adapt to the changes, good luck!!!
X2 taking an 8 year old out for lakers might be putting the cart before the horse so to speak...take him for something a little more attainable and he'll have a blast and get hooked on the sport...take him back for the lakers in a couple years when he'll really appreciate it

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 01-28-2010, 10:11 PM

We started pinching down the barbs long before the rule even came out. Better for the fish, easier to relese and so much nicer to get out of your finger or the old school nets where you had to distroy it to get your hook un stuck. I'm all for Barbless!
Old 01-28-2010, 11:07 PM

Default No parenting pointers needed.

Wow?! Whats with all the anger and hate?? I know it's par for the course for the topic I started but apparently barbed and barbless is pretty close to the heart for some. Some of you need to get back on the meds and stop taking everything so damn serious. I know the laws and follow them, I just hate this one(and a few others) But seriously, there have been some good suggestions here, I stll think the barbless law is bunk but hey I can think what I want. If you can't reply in good nature and jest its hardly appropriate to be giving parenting lessons so get bent! I assure you the boy has caught more Pike and Lakers through the ice at 8yrs old than most of you weekend warriors will in your lifetime! Maybe he's the next WFN Star if some of you think thats too much for a boy his age. Maybe I have a legit prodigy here than?? The thread has gone to the wayside but also is entertaining for my crew and predictable, bring it on! I always look forward to the guys on the lake; where do I fish, how deep, what bait, what colour underwear were you wearing when you caught them? If we were all *******s like some replying here it wouldn't be much fun now would it?
Old 01-28-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Wow?! Whats with all the anger and hate?? I know it's par for the course for the topic I started but apparently barbed and barbless is pretty close to the heart for some. Some of you need to get back on the meds and stop taking everything so damn serious. I know the laws and follow them, I just hate this one(and a few others) But seriously, there have been some good suggestions here, I stll think the barbless law is bunk but hey I can think what I want. If you can't reply in good nature and jest its hardly appropriate to be giving parenting lessons so get bent! I assure you the boy has caught more Pike and Lakers through the ice at 8yrs old than most of you weekend warriors will in your lifetime! Maybe he's the next WFN Star if some of you think thats too much for a boy his age. Maybe I have a legit prodigy here than?? The thread has gone to the wayside but also is entertaining for my crew and predictable, bring it on! I always look forward to the guys on the lake; where do I fish, how deep, what bait, what colour underwear were you wearing when you caught them? If we were all *******s like some replying here it wouldn't be much fun now would it?
I thought my post was in good nature...if this is what you are referring to. Wasn't giving parenting advice, just stating what works for me and the boy.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:11 AM

Default ..

Its all good schmag, others have been less than graceful.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:47 AM

Thank you Slip*Bobber for that response I never thought about a piece of jig body to hold the bait on the hook. Like I posted earlier we should be trading tips and pointers to each other not insults
Old 01-29-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valve god View Post
Thank you Slip*Bobber for that response I never thought about a piece of jig body to hold the bait on the hook. Like I posted earlier we should be trading tips and pointers to each other not insults
little piece of an elastic works too, same principal/ I use the piece of jig as bait for whitefish in the Bow when the no bait is in effect, bright orange works awesome

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-29-2010, 07:26 AM

I've used Slip*Bobber's tactic of detaching the treble from the leader and pushing the shank up through the bait, then reattaching to the leader for quite some time now. It is almost impossible to lose the bait, it works really well on smelt if you can get the shank through the backbone. If the smelt and hook are sized properly you can hide the hook very effectively.

This is exclusively how I rig up buzz bombs at Spray.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:26 AM

X2 on the little piece of elastic. Jig and minnow, bottom bouncing......works great. I like the idea of a piece of jig body and how it adds color too. Have to try that one.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I assure you the boy has caught more Pike and Lakers through the ice at 8yrs old than most of you weekend warriors will in your lifetime!
I'm a little confused here . . . if your boy is that skilled what are you complaining about?

First you say it's about you:
Quote:
So far this year I have personally lost over 50% of fish due to barbless through the ice and I'm damn sick of it!!!
Then you say it's about him:
Quote:
Bringing up a 10lb laker from 60-80ft is hard for him at 8 yrs old never mind keeping the line slack free. It upset him losing them fish after finally getting a hookup which put me on this rant so...

You are the one that said it was hard for him. None of us made that up. It is because of you that we were left unaware of his superior ability, and we responded in kind.

Wow. What a waste of my time.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Some of you need to get back on the meds and stop taking everything so damn serious. I know the laws and follow them
I hear ya. I think this all started because some ding-dong said they were going to go back to using barbed hooks regardless of legality and just cut the line if F&W showed up.

Quote:
I assure you the boy has caught more Pike and Lakers through the ice at 8yrs old than most of you weekend warriors will in your lifetime! Maybe he's the next WFN Star if some of you think thats too much for a boy his age. Maybe I have a legit prodigy here than??
Perhaps he should give you some fishing lessons then, given your own stated reason for the rant in the first place is that you can't land 50% of the fish you hook. By your own admission a child can do it.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I hear ya. I think this all started because some ding-dong said they were going to go back to using barbed hooks regardless of legality and just cut the line if F&W showed up.

Perhaps he should give you some fishing lessons then, given your own stated reason for the rant in the first place is that you can't land 50% of the fish you hook. By your own admission a child can do it.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:38 AM

Just to be clear, I have a pretty bad hooked-to-landed ratio too. I'm just clear about where the fault lies. It's with me. If your son has some free time in the next while, think he could help me out?
Old 01-29-2010, 09:48 AM

Didn't you hear guys? You can insult someone, threaten to punch them in the face, berate them, come up with new and inventive ways of bending the law, call their mother in law names, throw in a and it negates everything else?
Those little smilies sure are powerful things.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-29-2010, 10:07 AM

If your thread is to only focus on barbless hooks then simply say you hate barbless hooks. Then wait for posters to come get you.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:53 PM

I have a ? Kinda not really post related but whatever, this thread is going everywhere anyway...
About the elastic bands...if a fish steals ur bait n elastic band with it.., will the rubber harm the fish?? Yes I am a tree hugr. What can i say
P.s. - Hooked07...for the record, i never meant to tell u how to raise ur kids. If that's how u perceived it, I apologize. No harm intended.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezmo View Post
minnows and leaches wen you're jigin they always come off, barbless hooks suck. catching fish no problem, loosing bait always a problem...
HaHa so true! Wiggly lil buggerz! All part of the game
Old 01-29-2010, 03:13 PM

Default haha

Just can't let it go eh? First off "I" showed Slip*Bobber the tactic in keeping on the bait now she's trying to school me on it????? That's redonkilous and funny at the same time. I regularly school her on the H2O not the other way around. Here I am just getting out of bed from working nights and I'm checking AO for this awesomeness, the barbless hook law is still bunk. For some of you plugs that have requested, I have asked the boy and he is receptive to giving some lessons, just don't complain when you lose them at the hole, I recommend keeping the line "tight" or "taught" all the way up through onto the ice. Just because your geekiness can copy and paste some of the threads doesn't make your statements any more relevant.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:15 PM

Smile oops

Oh I forgot... Its all good now.