Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-29-2010, 03:17 PM

Not too sure what ur tryin to say, or whom it is directed at but if it's Moi... I will be back from work in a few hrs to discuss ur damage further? I promise
Old 01-29-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked07 View Post
Oh I forgot... Its all good now.
Well played, cudos!
Old 01-29-2010, 03:33 PM

Default hehe

And I will be back at work in a few hours, yes, bring it on.

p.s. I have 3 nights to go, than I'm fishing...
Old 01-29-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Oh I forgot... Its all good now.
Bwaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaha!!!

LOL

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-29-2010, 04:31 PM

Default Barb or not to barb always the question

First off I always fish according to the regulations, and if they impose barbless so be it. However to say that mortality is higher on barbed than barbless is not necessarily the facts. During my time as host of Fishing Alberta I had the opportunity to meet several of our fisheries biologists and one in perticular was very involved in the discussions when Banff National park was considering barbless regs and Alberta had not imposed this regulation yet. Now I am going from memory with this but here is what I remember in my discussions with him.
There has been several studies on this issue and the first study released did show signs of higher mortality on fish caught with barbed treble hooks than single barbless. So with this States like Idaho and the province of BC quickly jumped on this and imposed single barbless hook laws. Later this study was reviewed by others and found to have been flawed in some way. So more studies were done and as it was explained to me no good scientist can base anything on one study for this reason nor should laws be imposed that don't have science to back them.
So after several more studies they actually found in some cases that there was a higher mortality in single barbless than in barbed trebles. Good thing this was not the first study that states and provinces based there laws. Could you imagine flies tied with treble hooks. So any way with this said when they were looking at barbless single hooks in Banff they considered quality of fishing, mortality as well as quality of the experience. Therefore this biologist recomended they did not implement the barbless rules as it might hinder kids and new anglers from enjoying the experience of landing not just hooking fish.

As others have commented the other concern I have with the anglers believing that barbless single hooks do not cause mortality, think about this when we used barbs when a fish was hooked deep we simply cut the line as close to the mouth and released the fish. still some mortality for sure but usually they would survive. Now with barbless I constantly witness anglers digging way down and over handling the fish further stressing it than if they just cut the line. Now don't get me wrong I do fish barbless and don't mind just pointing out the facts as I remember them.
Mortality is part of fishing any way we slice it.

Just my 2 cents

Best regards and Good Fishing

Alex Kreis
Old 01-29-2010, 06:37 PM

Default Game on!!!

OK Hooked...Siebert Lake, Tuesday @ 06:30...ok 06:00!! Biggest Pick Wins!!!!!Then we'll see who teaches who!
Old 01-29-2010, 06:37 PM

Manitoba's been barbless since the early 1990s and it is without a doubt THE BEST initiative that we've experienced. This whole fish losing thing is bogus and only an excuse! My kids have never fished with barbs having grown up with barbless hooks. They've caught tons of trophy fish; northerns, walleyes, sturgeon, channel catfish, etc. My Dad caught his first trophy walleye at 83 years of age on a barbless jig.

And the most important benefit from the human aspect has been mentioned. No remote area surgery to remove barbed hooks from ears, fingers, back of head, legs and other body parts.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:40 PM

Default Wowzers!

Game on, Seibert Tuesday and 0530! Be there or remain inferior Slip*bobber.

P.s. I like you gatorhunter, you catch big Walleye! Barbless sucks...
Old 01-29-2010, 07:40 PM

Good work Gatorhunter those are sweet pics
Old 01-29-2010, 07:55 PM
Banned

Everyone with hard core fisheries experience knows the barbless issue is a bunch of political bull-xxxx.

The younger guys in fisheries these days have to walk and talk the politically correct way to maintain the pay for peanuts jobs that they hold before they decide on another occupation.

Barbless hooks are as useless as Global Warming.

I know there will be responses to my post that the barbed hook entails too much damage on the mouth tissue of the fish. This is usually followed by some form of linear regression statistical analysis research to show how smart the individual was in obtaining his Master's degree to show how stupid we every day AO guys are.

Some of these eggheads don't even fish.

What you are seeing in my opinion is what politcal correctness does to the enjoyment of our sports.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:17 PM

Default Some Pics

Tried posting some pics but wrong sizes coming up...

Last edited by Hooked07; 01-29-2010 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Pic size wrong
Old 01-29-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
If you're trying to host your pics on the forum don't waste your time.

Just sign up for a hosting account on photobucket.com or something similar and link your pics from there...far far easier

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 01-29-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
And I will be back at work in a few hours, yes, bring it on.

p.s. I have 3 nights to go, than I'm fishing...
3 nights to go,THEN ur catching and or killing is what u mean...
Old 01-29-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Maybe the pics are barbless, so they keep falling off??? Just sayin'...
Old 01-30-2010, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
3 nights to go,THEN ur catching and or killing is what u mean...
Fishfinder your crazy if you think your barbless hook's are saving the lives of fish. You obviously have some deep feelings for the fish you catch, do you shed a tear when we you pull your hook out? Do you think they can even feel it? barbless or not.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:24 AM

I'm late to this discussion but it sounds like the original poster needs some fishing lessons - after a couple nights in jail for intentionally breaking the law.

Hey Mr. CO can I have his gear when you confiscate it?
Old 01-30-2010, 07:17 AM

Personally i don't believe that barbed or barbless make that much of a difference to the health and well being of the fish. However, seeing as this province is mostly catch and release, due to the regs, barbless just makes that a whole lot easier
Old 01-30-2010, 07:26 AM

barbless hooks make for easy release and less damage to the fish, most of the time...I fully support going barbless.... I wish they would have brought this out when I was a kid....
Old 01-30-2010, 07:59 AM

Thumbs up Feel it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLP View Post
Fishfinder your crazy if you think your barbless hook's are saving the lives of fish. You obviously have some deep feelings for the fish you catch, do you shed a tear when we you pull your hook out? Do you think they can even feel it? barbless or not.
Hey DLP, I am not trying to drag this (IMO session) on, but how about you take a big barbed red and yellow 5 of diamonds stick it in your mouth,wiggle it around a bit then pull real hard.(ouch I bet it hurts) Now that you have it lodged in your mouth with hopefully at least 2 of the hooks deeply sunk into tissue and bone, slowly go to the nearest fisherman and ask him to please remove the hooks as if you are a 12 lb Burbot, (you better have something to hold onto cause this is gonna hurt like hell). After this little experiment is done and you are bleeding like a stuck pig, you return to the forum and tell all of us if they can feel it.
Just my 2 cents.
Happy Barbless fishing everyone else.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLP View Post
Hmmmm. Well...what can i say...don't really matter what i think now does it...ur gonna fish the way u want anyway. I won't go into detail about the obvious. I must b crazy??
Jus don't get it do you? To each their own I spose.
I don't care if they can feel it or not, it's the principle, and facts r facts. Try a lil research. Either part of the problem...or part of the solution, choice is urs pal.
I will ask the fishies what they think on the matter...that is... if i can bring em to the surface without em tossin me hook. Gettin them to talk...that's the tuff part. N yes...sometimes I cry
Old 01-30-2010, 08:51 AM

Default Loose more fish ....?

Where barbless is really tough is Lindy Rigging .....Those size #10 hooks

dont have much gap ...The premise is to let the fish swallow the hook and bait , but even barbless hooks are hard to retrieve when down the gullet ...
and especially on small fish , i have quit riggin too many bleeding babies ...

Where I thought you'd lose a lot, is ice fishing with big baits , but I cant think of one decent fish that didnt come out the hole since barbless come in.

Now summer fishing, call me finicky but I dont want those slimy slough sharks coming in the boat or even net ; sometimes fishing res walleyes
you'll have 25 handles a day ...barbless is great , you can just shake them off. Remember like a lot of things " It's all how you jiggle your pole "
Old 01-30-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco2 View Post
Hey DLP, I am not trying to drag this (IMO session) on, but how about you take a big barbed red and yellow 5 of diamonds stick it in your mouth,wiggle it around a bit then pull real hard.(ouch I bet it hurts) Now that you have it lodged in your mouth with hopefully at least 2 of the hooks deeply sunk into tissue and bone, slowly go to the nearest fisherman and ask him to please remove the hooks as if you are a 12 lb Burbot, (you better have something to hold onto cause this is gonna hurt like hell). After this little experiment is done and you are bleeding like a stuck pig, you return to the forum and tell all of us if they can feel it.
Just my 2 cents.
Happy Barbless fishing everyone else.
Arguments like this don't really belong in a thread such as this IMO...It's not a 'pain' issue. And even if it was, there is much scientific debate as to how a fish feels pain. It's definitely not the same way humans feel it.
Even if they did feel pain the way we do...I don't much care to be honest with you. It's not like I can say, ok...I'm willing to put these fish through a WHOLE BUNCH OF PAIN....but not an EXTREME AMOUNT! If it's a huge issue to yourself...I would think you should stop fishing all together...because I really don't think a barbless hook 'hurts' a fish a whole lot less than a barbed hook (up until removal, if at all).

Bottom line (if you keep human emotions out of it) It's a hemorrhage and tissue damage issue, that's it IMO.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:26 AM

I don't think barbless hooks make a difference as far as fish mortality goes, I've heard of no proven evidence.
I'm from the old school and I personally get fed up with all the new regs these days, especially the ones that don't make any sense. I do try and abide by the rules but I often find myself forgetting too close the barb when I open a pkg of new hooks. Honest mistake but I don't think F&W would see it that way.
I'm sure our law makers are trying to protect our resources but I find some of it is just plain nonsense.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:31 AM

I think you just WANT TO BREAK THE RULES and you're just looking for some posters to agree with you and justify it in your mind. I bet you freaked out about the seatbelt law too. I don't like Catch limits but that doesn't mean that i'm going to ignore them. Or complain about them on the forum..... Oops
Old 01-30-2010, 12:03 PM

Default Barbless or Not?

If you search internet, the latest findings are quite simple: when people have a hook set which is barbed, they land the fish quicker. Without a barb, it takes more time and sometimes patience (which many time leads to increased fish mortality as they get too played out) to get your catch in. With any law, there is often an unintended consequence. This is why all the latest studies show no statistical difference in fish death between barbless and barbed hooks. I really don't personally care as I have fished barbless for years with salmon, but my two cents is this is just another tax on fisherman and has nothing to do with protecting our fishery. Imagine a province where it is legal to sell drugs but illegal to use them? Makes no sense but this is what we have in Alberta. Why not mandate that the stores selling fishing equipment only sell barbless? Because it cuts into F&W profits.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:09 PM
Banned

Default Barbless

Why not mandate that the stores selling fishing equipment only sell barbless?

Lure manufactures, which are mostly in the US produce lures for a world wide market. I don't think you will ever see the major manufactures switchng to barbless, until you see the majority of the countries going barbless. They are hardly going to produce all their lures with both, just because a few provinces went barbless. The reality is there are very few barbless hooks even available on the market of any kind, with the exception of a few packaged, single, treble hooks and a few jigs.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:49 PM

I really think barbie dolls or not, it sure seems to define a person/s. Personally i have lost alot of fish due to no barbs (thats what i blame it on anyway har har), but bottom line is, they stay alive and grow...n i fish again tomorrow. Simple as that??
Old 01-30-2010, 02:59 PM

Default Try circle hooks !!!!!!

Don't know what your set up is, but if it is just bait on a tip up, switch to CIRCLE HOOKS!!. I have used them for years for everything from salmon fishing to walleye, pike and trout. No need for a barb. I have been converting people for years, and I still get funny looks from CO's and have to explain how it works, so don't feel stupid by asking me questions on the subject.

Drewski
Old 01-30-2010, 03:16 PM

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheL View Post
I think you just WANT TO BREAK THE RULES and you're just looking for some posters to agree with you and justify it in your mind. I bet you freaked out about the seatbelt law too. I don't like Catch limits but that doesn't mean that i'm going to ignore them. Or complain about them on the forum..... Oops
Pretty deep, maybe your right and I am looking for justification from you to fish barbless. In my mind eh? No, actually my mind is all big gunns, big walleye, killing stuff, actual firearms and big gunns again. Yeah that's pretty much it, in that order. Seriously though, big difference between human safety and a fish's well being there bub, seatbelts?? What are you talking about?!
On another note, now don't let go of that tree but it can't be proven fish even register pain in the same capacity as an actual human so enough of the poor fish stories, you remember us humans, the top of the food chain where we actually eat fish, omg!
Old 01-30-2010, 03:42 PM

Fair enough,Serves me right for wading in on a $@^$disturber thread. Keep stirring the pot you'll churn up more responses but not from me I'm going back to fishing discussions.This one's going sideways.