Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-28-2010, 08:11 PM

Default AOF Gathering Sept 17-24

We have one last gathering in the works for Sept 17-24 down in Etherington. This is open to any and all forum members. They have a wonderful group campsite with 2 cook house's and lots of room. We will only book the group campsite when we have a few confirmed "I would guess the weekend" Myself and my wife will be there all week and will have a personal campsite for the rest of the days. There is plenty of fishing and hiking spots around the area. I have planed to cook a turkey in the ground for this one , as per normal we will do the potluck meal as well. The group campsite goes for a rate of 160 a night or there about so please post your intentions to attend and we will work out reserving the site.

There is a few members already confirmed for attendance but I will let them post here rather than myself doing it. If you have any questions or suggestions lets get them up here. This is just one of many we have done And I can promise you that it is ALWAYS a great time with even better people. I look foreword to reading your posts.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 08-28-2010, 08:13 PM

Going to see if I can get that Friday off, I do want to be there. A good time as always, too bad some of our northern members wont be there, one in particular Id like to meet, eh Jaylow?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 08-28-2010, 08:39 PM

I've never met any of you, and I would love to come and meet some fellow AOF members, but unfortunately I have plans to go to the kootenays. If there are any hardcores out there like myself, I plan on ice camping this year... Maybe we could have an on-ice gathering?...
Old 08-28-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayingfish View Post
I've never met any of you, and I would love to come and meet some fellow AOF members, but unfortunately I have plans to go to the kootenays. If there are any hardcores out there like myself, I plan on ice camping this year... Maybe we could have an on-ice gathering?...
Ohhhh my friend we do have them dont you worry. Hard water is just around the corner

Old 08-28-2010, 09:00 PM

Shazbot! Another gathering I can't make it to

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 08-28-2010, 09:03 PM

I have to admit, until last winter, I dreaded the cold, but since Ive taken up icefishing and got the gear, its a whole different story. I dont want "summer" to end but I cant wait for freezeup so I can get back out there and do me some ice fishing! We will definitley have to have at least one and hopefully more gatherings on the ice this coming winter. I have some great spots now for those who like to catch big fish in the south, looking forward to meeting more members and having good times while freezing our butts off again. Maybe Sandalius will even catch some fish this year!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 08-28-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Shazbot! Another gathering I can't make it to
Tellin yah Scooby, when you get some time off this winter we got to get together and catch some fish!!!!! whether down this way, up thataways, or somewheres in between we will do it. Maybe even get that Florida girl out on some frozen water and show her how Canuckleheads have fun in the winter.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 08-28-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Tellin yah Scooby, when you get some time off this winter we got to get together and catch some fish!!!!! whether down this way, up thataways, or somewheres in between we will do it. Maybe even get that Florida girl out on some frozen water and show her how Canuckleheads have fun in the winter.
Definitely gotta get together with you and slay some fish Wayne! Don't know about getting the Florida girl out on the ice though...she thinks I'm an absolute maniac for going out on a frozen lake ON PURPOSE and then punching holes in the ice

Heck, she gets nervous as the passenger when we're driving in just regular winter conditions in the city...poor girl, I just don't think she's quite built for this climate

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 08-28-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Maybe Sandalius will even catch some fish this year!
Hey Wayne, you might wanna discuss this with jst1.
He had an awesome story to tell around the campfire at the last gathering
about my fishing skills...or was it about his lack of skills ????( not sure but it's funny )
You have already seen that I can catch fish and just like giving me the gears ...lol
That's OK, it's good to pass it off on someone else - you can only tease a person about a pink rod so many times........right jts1
This hard water season I'm gonna get some of your hardware back ( pike face jewellery ) and get me a fishing rod that used to belong to jts1

As for this gathering - not to sure just yet about the days ????
Probably on the weekend though - we'll see, there's a gun so that weekend that I have to attend too.....

Geezle : if we can get an Aussie out ice fishing, a Florida girl should be no problem....lol
Old 08-29-2010, 12:48 AM
Banned

well,. here is one AO gathering that i might can make. would love to meet more members, and even WayneChristie LOL.. can some one pm me real good driving directions pls? i know how to get to longview, but from there...?
thank you
RHF
Old 08-29-2010, 01:00 AM

I will post a map with directions on this thread in the near future.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:11 AM

Here is a link with information on the camp site , there should be a map on there that will give you directions.

http://albertawow.com/campgrounds/Et...gton_Creek.htm

Old 08-29-2010, 07:09 AM

Default Gathering location

For all of you wondering about this place and area it is a great spot. Campsites are very large if you want to do a regular camp spot. The group camp has an indoor cookshack with windows and wood stove if needed. There is also a football field sized meadow in the middle for you crossbow guys to play. Lots of hiking trails and many creeks and streams and beaver ponds with lots of fish. We just got back from there this week and caught some some nice brookies and did some other road tripping as well. If anyone has questions of the area feel free to ask as we have been going there for years and are quite familiar. We are on holidays that week as well so lots of days for anyone to join even if you can only come for the day. Make sure to bring all weather clothing that time of year as it could be plus 30 or could snow. Hope to see everyone there...........
Old 08-29-2010, 08:54 AM

Sigh.... What a beautiful creek and campground. Im very disappointed I cannot make it.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:22 PM

Yay!!!! I am so excited! I will be there Sept 19-23. Can't wait to see the campground and see old friends AND meet some new ones hopefully!

Do I need to bring my bear spray?

BE THE CHANGE YOU WISH TO SEE IN THE WORLD

GHANDI
Old 08-29-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle View Post

It's ok I got a knife! LOL
Old 08-29-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle View Post

nah I promise to behave

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 08-29-2010, 04:47 PM

Default Yogi bear

Actually you will be in the middle of bear country. In my 30 years or so of camping in the area only had a close bear encounter one time while fishing. I will save the story for around the fire it was actually funny. I did hear once of a grizzly bear knocking out someones windows and crawling into their trailer and stealing all the campers food and bear at Etherington campground.

If you feel better bringing spray I would do so. You will probably have a better chance of running into a bullwinkle or a mountain sheep than see a bear.But they are definitely out there watching.....
Old 08-29-2010, 08:02 PM

Well I just might be able to make it. Pending all heck breaking loose at work of course. As it stands I will be down on the Friday and staying until Tue maybe longer will see. Are you going tonyflyfish? If so maybe we could travel convoy style. LOL
Old 08-29-2010, 09:58 PM

Default Confirmed Thus far

So far confirmed

Jts1 / Mrsjts1 Turkey cooked in the ground
Michelle & Jello Shots
FlyGirl/Husband "Even if he is just a cover"
CalgaryGringo/MrsGringo

Just as we had thought It seems everyone will have the weekend down there. So I will look into getting the group campground for Fri/Sat Night after we have a few more confirmed.

Last edited by jts1; 08-29-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:06 PM

Ha, jst1 , no husband again, just the boyfriend LOL
Old 08-30-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandalius View Post
Geezle : if we can get an Aussie out ice fishing, a Florida girl should be no problem....lol
Ha! I'll believe it when I see it!

Who's the aussie?

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 08-30-2010, 06:54 AM

Default Dates

Yes we will be there form sure.
We will be up Sunday night the 19th after work that day and are off until the 29th.
We have no big plans for the week so anyone that wants to come up during the week and wants to stay would be nice.
The JTS family and ourselves will fend of the bears, but more is always better if you have weekdays off.

See you there..........

Ken
Old 08-30-2010, 11:43 AM

I just got off the phone with the people that run the campsite. The Group area is open for the Fri/sat night. How ever It is 250 a night. We must book the first night prior on a credit card and the second will be collected on site. I am thinking of going down and fishing the Livingstone on Wends I can stop in and make a payment on the site for the first night. "Weather permitting me going fishing" As long as everyone agrees. We dont have that many comfirmed as of yet so Do we want to hold off for another week? With just a few of us we could get away with personal sites all in a row I guess? let me know what you think ?

Old 08-30-2010, 11:56 AM

Whew, thats steep. So far four have confirmed that makes it 62.50 a night per unit. How much are the sites worth?
Ha, just answered my own question. The sites are 23 a night and if you double up on the sites they are 39.00. That makes it 19.50 a night per unit. The benifit to the group site is the facilities I guess. Cook house etc but then you have to move your site if your staying longer. Actually because Calgarygringo wont be down til Sunday night that makes only three confirmed. Its up to you Jst1 but I think I would hold off for a week and see what happens. The worse that can happen is we stay in the regular campground... Just my thoughts, I'll go with the flow..

Last edited by flygirrl; 08-30-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:29 PM

With regrets, you guys picked a weekend I am not available...again...sniff, sniff. Have fun peeps.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:54 PM

We will be tenting it, so regular site shared would be fine.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 08-31-2010, 02:01 AM

How can we generate more interest in this for new people to join us? Any ideas?

BE THE CHANGE YOU WISH TO SEE IN THE WORLD

GHANDI
Old 08-31-2010, 02:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1 View Post
Here is a link with information on the camp site , there should be a map on there that will give you directions.

http://albertawow.com/campgrounds/Et...gton_Creek.htm
further to this map is this one if your comming from calgary. and know how to get to Longview.

http://www.woodalls.com/campground/l...542700&index=1
Old 08-31-2010, 06:51 AM

It looks like #1 son and I will be daytrippers again.

Spent too much on toys out of September's budget (TFH sale and son's bday): can't rent a motorhome and don't want to tent it.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.