Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-23-2017, 01:28 AM

A nice collection of bears to make the season memorable. Might even be a little safer of an area to go pick berries in late summer. A few less berry pigs to deal with.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-23-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
A nice collection of bears to make the season memorable. Might even be a little safer of an area to go pick berries in late summer. A few less berry pigs to deal with.
Glad we could help out
Old 06-24-2017, 09:04 AM

Tork nice bunch of bears. You and your hunters have saved a bunch of moose and elk calves from a short life. One large boar bear that was collared ate some where over 40 calves in one spring smorg during recent study.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Tork nice bunch of bears. You and your hunters have saved a bunch of moose and elk calves from a short life. One large boar bear that was collared ate some where over 40 calves in one spring smorg during recent study.
Thanks BGW

Those bears are calf killing machines for sure. I've read a few studies now, and one where they put cameras on specific bears to monitor what exactly they were eating. One they kill a moose calf a day, it's a problem!!!

Now if I can just figure out how to kill 25-30 bears a year up north I'll be really helping out my moose 😉
Old 06-26-2017, 09:14 AM

Tork, lots of lead! just kidding. You might monitor your "dry cow" calf/cow moose numbers in the fall. Then some how increase your number of spring bear hunts. Your good success this year of large boars should get the attention of many guys wanting a nice rug. May take a few years to see significant results.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Tork, lots of lead! just kidding. You might monitor your "dry cow" calf/cow moose numbers in the fall. Then some how increase your number of spring bear hunts. Your good success this year of large boars should get the attention of many guys wanting a nice rug. May take a few years to see significant results.
The problem is we don't hunt bears in the spring up north, the spring hunts are in my other concession. We kill a couple in the fall, but not the numbers we really need. The access is so difficult it really prohibits any real number of bear hunts happening, and logistically it's very expensive to operate for the cost of a bear hunt.
I'm sure the solution will come to me 😉
Old 06-26-2017, 03:28 PM
Banned

Not to derail but I never would of thought they'd eat that many calves and fawns. Never bought a bear tag in my life. That'll be changing this fall.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:57 AM

In talking with a Yukon resident, he mentioned that the Grizz there each take down 35-40 moose calves every spring. A number he got from the bio...does seem like a lot.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonerkiller View Post
In talking with a Yukon resident, he mentioned that the Grizz there each take down 35-40 moose calves every spring. A number he got from the bio...does seem like a lot.
Yep. It's pretty wild to think about how many ungulates die at the hands of predators in their first couple months of life.

As the number of wolves and bears increase each year in the boreal forest and the number of ungulates decrease, it's easy to see why the farmland moose and elk are doing so well.

I'm glad we can do our part to knock down as many of those predators as possible
Old 06-28-2017, 08:48 AM

wow! holy crap look at the size of that one guy on the tail gate...
bear hunting is the greatest!!
Old 07-21-2017, 11:52 PM

Great pics man. Thanks for sharing