Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-22-2017, 12:07 AM

Default Lots of Choice these days for Broadheads

Was at Cabelas today getting some stuff and was taking a look at the broadheads and getting some ideas on what to shoot for my sheep hunt. WOW what a pile of them to choose from. A friend of mine says he likes rage 2 blade mechanicals lol I laughed because there were a handfull of different ones and they basically all seemed the same.
My thoughts are that I am going to try to stick with a fixed Broadhead if I can get them to fly right. I grabbed a pack of Muzzy's to try out.

What kind of fixed Broadheads are you guys using and why? I've heard good things about a few of them out there but wanted to get a bit more info before I start buying a few to try out.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:05 AM

I switched from g5 Montecs to grim reaper mechanical and see no reason to switch back. If you're set on fixed, many people like the Montecs. I didn't care for how dull they are, difficult to sharpen, and weak (poor metal me thinks). What's important is they tune and fly true and the Montec design is copied on the NAP hellrazor and it's a much sharper edge. You can get them at Jimbows.
I'd use that instead. From what I read just before switching to mechanical, I'd also consider the magnus stinger. Bass pro in Calgary had them
Old 07-22-2017, 06:52 AM

I've been using G5 Strikers for a few years now. They fly great and cut easily. I was going to use a new pack of grim reaper mechanical broadheads this year to get a better blood trail but think I'll stick with the Strykers for another season. I'm gonna use them up before I switch. Both are good broadheads
Old 07-22-2017, 06:53 AM
Banned

I have the Grim Reapers as well. They are a great mechanical.

I just picked up some Grave Diggers. They are a hybrid fixed/mechanical. Two fixed blades and two mechanical blades so even if the mechanicals should fail in that off chance, you still have two good cutting blades.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:26 AM

Slick trick standards in 100 grain. Great broadheads! Watch your fingers putting them on the arrow though, they'll slice you up in a hurry! Very sharp, and with 4 blades, they're a bit clumsy to handle. They are very compact, and have always flown good for me, very similar to field tips. Not much adjustment to get them tuned up, and sighted in.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:29 AM

I used slick trick magnums last year. They fly just like my field tips. One moose and one deer down. Bought more for this year.

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 07-22-2017, 10:40 AM

I use Grim Reaper Razor Tips. Been great so far. Pass thrus on all my kills so far last few seasons. I like them just because they don't really need any tuning. They come with a practice head and shoot pretty much like my field tips.

They have a new hybrid one out this year that has mechanical blades as well a couple of fixed blades. Looks like a good idea. Might try those out this year.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:19 PM

Ram cats .. have put down a dozen moose and an elk for me no issues what so ever !!
Old 07-22-2017, 04:48 PM

Default Bheads

Exodus, VPA vented.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:34 PM

Exodus will be my next broadhead.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:42 PM

I've been shooting slick trick standard 100's, pass through on both mule deer and buried to the fletchings on a hard 1/4 away shot on my moose. Tune to your field tips pretty easily as well.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:55 AM

Wasp Bullet 100 gr worked pretty good for me .7 deers one moose all one shot. Up to 60 yds they shoot exactly the same as field points , no need to sight before the hunting season. Before was using Monteg 5 and Sonic. Shooting Bowtech 340 67 pounds.
Good luck!
Old 07-24-2017, 12:52 PM

Default broadhead choice

"My thoughts are that I am going to try to stick with a fixed Broadhead if I can get them to fly right. I grabbed a pack of Muzzy's to try out. "

You started out with a good choice. I believe that the Muzzys have the longest history of use among the other brands mentioned in this blog. Longevity in the archery products world speaks for itself.
I have been shooting them for a long time now.(3 blade 100gr.) They fly well for my set up and they have proven good terminal performance time after time. They are strong construction, have very sharp, easily replaceable blades and you can get practice blades to shoot pre season- you don't have to dull a $20.00 broadhead just to practice. I have half a dozen arrows tipped with Muzzy practice broadheads on the go for preseason shooting.

In the end the choice is personal.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:00 PM

Hey guys a bit off topic but should I move my rest sight housing or pins to get my fixed broadheads to hit where I want

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerules View Post
Hey guys a bit off topic but should I move my rest sight housing or pins to get my fixed broadheads to hit where I want

I'm no pro but the research I see is guys move a rest to compensate. Not sure if that is right or not.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerules View Post

There's a broadhead tuning sticky at the top of the archery page. Some really good info on there.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:00 PM

Default Broad heads

Ive had good luck with muzzys over the years but one of the toughest broad heads has to be the wasp ://www.wasparchery.com/videos/broadhead-test-wasp-muzzy-and-rage-vs.-deer-of-steel
Old 07-24-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
There's a broadhead tuning sticky at the top of the archery page. Some really good info on there.
Can you see the pictures? I can't see anyones photobucket pictures anymore. It would be nice to see what is going on.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
Slick trick standards in 100 grain. Great broadheads! Watch your fingers putting them on the arrow though, they'll slice you up in a hurry! Very sharp, and with 4 blades, they're a bit clumsy to handle. They are very compact, and have always flown good for me, very similar to field tips. Not much adjustment to get them tuned up, and sighted in.
Yep
Old 07-25-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Can you see the pictures? I can't see anyones photobucket pictures anymore. It would be nice to see what is going on.
I can't see them either.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:10 AM

exodus. blade over shaft is nice for consistency with field tips. simply designed heavy duty and sharp. personal preference to avoid anything mechanical.

like you say though lots to choose from these days and unless you get a cheap head you probably can't go wrong.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:21 PM

I made the switch to Grim reapers last year. They shoot amazing out of my bow. Dead on with my field points. Although I haven't taken an animal with them yet, the reviews speak a lot of words. The first couple years I started hunting with a bow (like 4 years ago) I thought I'd never go to a mechanical. After hearing the trust in them coming from Lefty, I decided to give them a try. I'm hoping to give a good review on them after I take myself a bull elk or moose with them this year.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookiemoosehunter View Post
I can't see them either.
Would like to be able to see the images as well, is there something we can do on our end to view the images? Or do i have to get a photobucket account to view them?
Old 07-26-2017, 12:16 AM

The photos in the sticky are probably from Neil's photobucket account. I think he's suspended from here though. He used to offer a ton of help but I think he got into some rule breaking arguments with some other users that got suspended.
I've got my bow tuned well (by Neil actually) and last year when I got out of the vehicle for the elk woods, the first thing I did was take two shots to instill some confidence in the gear. First shot was a field point at 100 yards on a Rinehart cube target. I walked up 20 yards and launched a practice grim reaper from 80. The field point was about 4" (at about 10 o'clock) from the center of the target and the grim reaper was within two inches of the field point (but down a touch and a little more so to the right, so closer to center of target). Starting my morning like that, I was confident that any elk within 30 yards was a dead elk. Just didn't see one that day.
I regularly practice to 100 yards with field points and out to 80 with practice grim reapers. It keeps my form in top shape. But the best practice is on the 3d course from 5 - 50 yards without ranging.
All this to say...
Nube, if you keep your bow tuned and your shooting form trained, it won't much matter what broadhead you use.
Although the only mechanical I will ever try is grim reaper. Just better design and a track record to support it. I'll probably throw some fixed heads in the quiver this year too.
Have fun and good luck with the sheep. Probably going to be your most enjoyable sheep because of the bow
Old 07-26-2017, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Not to sure. Haven't looked at it since last season. I can't see the pics either
Old 07-26-2017, 08:14 AM

Photobucket became pay to play....hence about 95% of the pics here cannot be seen.

LC
Old 07-26-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Photobucket became pay to play....hence about 95% of the pics here cannot be seen.

LC
I didn't know that. Now I'm going to check my account because I certainly don't want to be paying for it

EDIT: Ok, from what I can tell from some quick searching online is Photobucket is free to have an account to store a minimal amount of photos on, but the 3rd party hosting service is now for a fee (for example, posting a pic on another site)... which for many people that is the only reason they had Photobucket in the first place (including me)

Last edited by kujoseto; 07-26-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:09 PM

I switched to IMGUR but have lost a pile of pics now......
Old 07-26-2017, 02:23 PM

Have you shot the muzzy broadheads yet? Any others you're thinking of trying?
Old 07-26-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
Have you shot the muzzy broadheads yet? Any others you're thinking of trying?
I bought a muzzy pack but have not yet.
Going to try Slicktrick standards and Grim reaper razortips and take what shoots best and maybe a combo of both mechanical and fixed if they hit the same point of impact by chance.