Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-10-2013, 04:27 PM

Default Talk About Gouging

Just looked at this site in the States.............$59.59 for a 100 round pack of
22lr CCI Mini Mags...........Wow.

www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/AMM075
Old 07-10-2013, 04:34 PM

Can't believe that is the correct price. If it is, things must be rough down in the states at the moment.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:49 PM

Not that crazy. Ammo is harder to come by but that is ridiculous. Those are the same winners that were charging about $240 for a 33 round Glock magazine.

I hope the people remember this.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 07-10-2013, 05:52 PM

That sounds about right. Demand is outweighing the supply right now. Thanks to our current White House inhabitant. Last gun show I went to guys were trying to sell 525 packs of Federal 22 lr for $100. They were packing a lot back to the truck when the show ended. Most of the big retailers like Sportsman Wearhouse and Bass Pro are not gouging like that.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 07-11-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
That sounds about right. Demand is outweighing the supply right now. Thanks to our current White House inhabitant. Last gun show I went to guys were trying to sell 525 packs of Federal 22 lr for $100. They were packing a lot back to the truck when the show ended. Most of the big retailers like Sportsman Wearhouse and Bass Pro are not gouging like that.
That's insane, you can get four of those packs in an ammo can for $99 at Cabelas.ca

Hope things calm down for you guys soon.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:26 AM

After cheaperthandirt's experience after their gouging and sell-out antics after Newtown, i'm surprised they are still in business.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:50 AM

If Americans were not stupid enough to pay such prices, the goods would not be priced that way. The buyers have no NEED for the mechandise so gouging is not an issue; buyer stupidity is. I find someone dumb enough to pay me sixty bucks for a box of my 22 shells and I'll cheerfully let them do it. Leeper
Old 07-11-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeper View Post
If Americans were not stupid enough to pay such prices, the goods would not be priced that way. The buyers have no NEED for the mechandise so gouging is not an issue; buyer stupidity is. I find someone dumb enough to pay me sixty bucks for a box of my 22 shells and I'll cheerfully let them do it. Leeper
Supply and demand, is not an exclusively American issue. While it might be a result of panick buying/hoarding, the same forces could appear in Canada just as quick.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:54 AM

Here's an interesting insight into why the US may be having ammo shortage problems

http://weaponsman.com/?p=9126

Most interesting to me is the idea that there are a lot of new shooters, and the round of choice for new shooters is 22lr. Add to that the fact that 22lr is the fall back for when you don't want to shoot your expensive stuff, and suddenly every single shooter wants wants 22lr.

I don't know how far down the prices will go back - $60 for a brick will still give a family of 4 a day's worth of shooting, and even at $60 it's still cheaper than a movie for a family of 4 at that. I think supply will come up, and prices will go down, but I don't think you will see a $20 brick of 22lr in the states ever again.