Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2015, 09:50 AM

Smile Looking for a new gig...

Just thought I would throw this out there on the off chance that someone may know of anything. The Hublet and I have been here for almost five years, and would like to move to a similar arrangement (caretaking a small ranch or large estate) but without cattle to feed and calve out. We would need private accommodations (dog-friendly, for when we get another one...) as part of the compensation package. We would prefer to be in SW Alberta, within an hour of the mountains, but will entertain other options (within Alberta). We can provide excellent references.

I have been running ads on Kijiji for months and have told several folks but nothing yet. I check local papers and the Western Producer weekly as well. I have also posted on some Facebook groups. Quite often, though, these jobs are not advertised. That is how we found this one! We have not told our boss about it as we will just stay if we don't find a place to move to by early fall.

Anyway, just PM me if you know of anything! Thanks!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 03-31-2015, 12:19 PM

What about trade publications and web sites like Alberta Cattleman's Association and Western Producer news paper, there are usually some help wanted ads in there.

Dog_River
Old 03-31-2015, 02:18 PM

I check WP weekly. Do you mean Canadian Cattlemen? I can check that one now, thanks. I also subscribe to an international caretakers group but very few turn up in Canada. I also keep in touch with a few realtors in case they hear of anything.
We actually would prefer more of a caretaking/groundskeeping/onsite security type position, and do not want to keep being involved with cattle. Horses, pets, fine. We would also entertain a rental with a reduced rate in exchange for some help. Of course, finding out about a position is one thing...getting a good fit is another!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Last edited by molly; 03-31-2015 at 02:25 PM.