Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2015, 07:39 PM

I couldn't figure out how to change the original post title..to say sold.

.and the Ipod I sold on here...well I couldn't even find the original post. It seems I am not too good at using search functions OR maybe it was deleted already??
Old 03-30-2015, 07:17 PM

Whatever happened with all the help people offered in reporting sold posts. Was awesome for first couple weeks then slowly died a slow death. Don't be shy, the help was greatly appreciated.

Just did a mass delete with over 400,so much house cleaning to do.

If you have the ability, still best to change title or report it to delete it pretty please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
No its not true....... The challenge is many use their iphone or smart phone on this forum, not allowing you to change title. I get that, BUT if you cannot edit, USE the report a post, it will get actioned probably better than changing the title, just a thought And please do not bump the thread.

Other pet peeve, whether your buying or selling, please use the appropriate title, we shouldn't have to click the link to find out what the heck your wanting or selling. Those should and going forward I will delete. So if your thread is missing, its either titled wrong, no price, no location. And while were at it, if you make multiple threads selling same item in same forum or multiple forums, well that will be infracted. Ohhhhh while I think of it. if you have multiple items to sell, don't put them all in the same thread, duh! its a nightmare for seller and us

KISS model works pretty good
Old 03-30-2015, 07:37 PM

Will resume reporting, (Cylon voice) by your command.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:08 PM

I don't see what the big deal is. Why wait for all kinds of "report post" reports to come in??

Why not just do a quick search for the word "SOLD"? I just did that now (took .5 seconds) (Results) and came up with well over 500 threads. Pretty much every single thread you see there, have the last post with the OP saying item is "SOLD". Can pretty much delete every single thread in this result. The only other ads, are ones with multiple items for sale, which is also not allowed.

Seems a lot more efficient than relying on umpteen "reports" to come in.
5 minutes and you could delete a few thousand "sold" ads.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clgy_Dave2.0 View Post
I don't see what the big deal is. Why wait for all kinds of "report post" reports to come in??

Why not just do a quick search for the word "SOLD"? I just did that now (took .5 seconds) and came up with well over 500 threads. Pretty much every single thread you see there, have the last post with the OP saying item is "SOLD". Can pretty much delete every single thread in this result. The only other ads, are ones with multiple items for sale, which is also not allowed.

Seems a lot more efficient than relying on umpteen "reports" to come in.
5 minutes and you could delete a few thousand "sold" ads.
The only problem with that is they could have the word sold in their ad for many of reasons. Ex. "Sold the scope, gun is next". Or "will delete ad when (item) is sold" and so on. But it is a decent way to at least narrow it down. Ill do my part and continue to report posts as I see them. Keep up the great work mods, its a thankless job.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound2Fish View Post
The only problem with that is they could have the word sold in their ad for many of reasons. Ex. "Sold the scope, gun is next". Or "will delete ad when (item) is sold" and so on. But it is a decent way to at least narrow it down. Ill do my part and continue to report posts as I see them. Keep up the great work mods, its a thankless job.
Yes that's true. However the "sold the scope, gun is next" is a multi-item ad...which according to Pixel is not what they want.

But yes, there is the odd ad that will have the word "sold" as part of the description. Few and far between though. Easy to click on the "last post" icon to see if it in fact is sold though.

I gave up using this forum's B&S long ago. Probably the worst out there. I thought I'd give it one more try as I was looking for something specific recently. I found one here, and the description was...."search on kijiji, you'll find my ad" No price, no location. lol.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:48 PM

Been busy.
I'll follow Caber and do the same.

Guys can report their own post as well.
Hit the triangle in the top corner and click it.
Then ask a mod to delete please.

Thanks to AO for having a buy and sell.
I've met many members on the forum for various reasons but it's usually the Buy and Sell that brings us together.
Thanks to the mods for their time here.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 03-30-2015, 10:51 PM
Banned

I never stopped
Old 03-30-2015, 11:35 PM

BINGO!!! nothing worst than going thru 1000 listings cause its not in the title and the large number of multi item threads or as suggested below.........your screen shot was of no help , that would be just too easy

we appreciate the help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound2Fish View Post
Old 03-30-2015, 11:42 PM

Wouldn't it be nice if the OP's could get their crap together and not leave the place such a mess? Maybe they're the same crowd that litter in the woods.....

Edit: Inspired by my own comment I decided to check out what, if any mess I've left about the place. I clicked on my 'Threads started' and scrolled back to see what clutter I should clean up. I found some old ones dating back a couple of years and flagged them to the mods attention. Maybe instead of looking for the stuff left by others, by searching for & cleaning up our own junk it will be more fitting. Certainly more fair.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 03-30-2015 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:59 PM

you just sucked the fun out of that one after deleting your own reported posts , fine be that way
Old 03-31-2015, 12:07 AM

Arrow For what it's worth, these be my two pennies . . .

No offence to the AO, or the hard working Mods that toil here, but this whole situation is just totally crazy

Using a 'forum' based platform to run a B&S, just don't work right ... and the evidence is overwhelming!

Mac

Last edited by Selkirk; 03-31-2015 at 12:13 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
No offence to the AO, or the hard working Mods that toil here, but this whole situation is just totally crazy

Using a 'forum' based platform to run a B&S, just don't work right ... and the evidence is overwhelming!

Mac
Bingo!! Truer words were never spoken.
If you want to sell something, why limit your target market?
Old 03-31-2015, 07:07 AM

I don't see why mods would not suspend users who don't adhere to the forum rules. Like marking sold in the title of you BS thread when the item sells.

To those criticizing the buy and sell , get lost and start your own.... Here is a hint, don't use the name kijiji, it's already been taken.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
BINGO!!! nothing worst than going thru 1000 listings cause its not in the title and the large number of multi item threads or as suggested below.........your screen shot was of no help , that would be just too easy

we appreciate the help
you only make it as hard as you want for yourself.

If you want to clean up useless ads, it's easy to do. I've done it. I do it.
But as Mac says, the current system isn't very good.
Don't let me get in the way, carry on.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:

Mac
Do you have an example of the "better" method? I'd like to have a look at that.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:56 AM

Here's another "know it all" post. (Sorry in advance for sounding like a douche.)
Is there a way to cap the buy and sell categories at, say, 10 pages? And when an add gets bumped that far, it just gets deleted?
I just looked at the firearms section and there's 283 pages of ads, the oldest one being from 2013 (I wonder if "Angery Jonn" is still expecting a response for that ad?)
I have no idea if such a "Self cleaning" feature is even possible, I just though I'd throw it against the wall and see if it sticks.
(And I did report one post from that last page, just to make it seem like I'm doing something useful.)
Old 03-31-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybuster View Post

Do you have an example of the "better" method? I'd like to have a look at that.

One need look no further than most other B&S pages on the internet. They use platforms (software) specifically developed and designed for such purposes, eliminating 90+% of the problems we see here in the 'forum' based AO B&S.

Admittedly, the present AO B&S does work (kind of), but only as a band-aid remedy. And its quite the *&^%$# 'beach' to deal with ... especially for the Mods!

Mac

Last edited by Selkirk; 03-31-2015 at 10:36 AM.