Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 06:48 PM
Gone Hunting

"how else did a nobody with no experience get more political donations than the pc's? "

79 Ford, Are you talking about Obama?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-29-2015, 07:14 PM

Just flipped through the entire thread, where is our wise one Oko with his all-seeing, all-knowing insight on the unite-the-right ??
Old 03-29-2015, 07:17 PM

Default Floor Crossers now with PC Nominations

As a re-cap:

There were 11 recent Wildrose floor crossers.

3 opted not to run again: Forsythe, Anderson, and Hale
5 Now have a PC nomination: Wilson, Towle, McAllister, Pederson, & Donovan
3 lost their bids for a PC nomination: Smith, Fox, and Bikman

Noteworthy is that McAllister, the last one to get a nomination, was able to get his when the PC Party prevented another person from running against him. Nothing like ensuring a win at whatever the cost. How can this be a feeling of satisfaction for McAllister?

Let's hope the voters in the next election do not vote in the 5 newly minted PCers who crossed the floor at the eleventh hour.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog15 View Post
As a re-cap:

There were 11 recent Wildrose floor crossers.

3 opted not to run again: Forsythe, Anderson, and Hale
5 Now have a PC nomination: Wilson, Towle, McAllister, Pederson, & Donovan
3 lost their bids for a PC nomination: Smith, Fox, and Bikman

Noteworthy is that McAllister, the last one to get a nomination, was able to get his when the PC Party prevented another person from running against him. Nothing like ensuring a win at whatever the cost. How can this be a feeling of satisfaction for McAllister?

Let's hope the voters in the next election do not vote in the 5 newly minted PCers who crossed the floor at the eleventh hour.
Correct me if I'm wrong but you got Forsythe as a floor crosser? She was interm leader for WRP till Jean was elected leader
Wasn't angry Anglin the one who went and chose to sit as an independant
Old 03-29-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
The only way to keep the PC in check is effective opposition, the NDP or Liberals have never been either in any effective way. The WRP is an effective opposition. They broke a bunch of PC wrongdoings and held them accountable.
What DS and the others did was try to take a shortcut to the throne only to find that they got out maneuvered
The WRP is still Albertas best bang for the buck
We do not need strong opposition. We have had one after last election. We need new governing party.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskra View Post
We do not need strong opposition. We have had one after last election. We need new governing party.
i'm voting wild rose but i dont care if a tennis racket wins as long as it isnt the pc's.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Just flipped through the entire thread, where is our wise one Oko with his all-seeing, all-knowing insight on the unite-the-right ??
Today is Sunday. It's the weekend. You'll hear from him tomorrow when he's back at his desk hard at work "on company time".

Last edited by 270WIN; 03-29-2015 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
And when Harper "got us through" the recession in 08-09 with a minority and prorouged parliament twice was he not resting on the groundwork the previous liberal government set down? Is there not a huge pile of Action Plan signs sitting in dumps around the country now too? There was at least 6 back home for a small walking trail that Economic stimulus plan built... and at least a dozen on the seirra road out of Ft. Nelson for the paved road to nowhere...

Notice how I didn't slander or use insults to raise a point, you should try it someone might pay attention to what you have to say. Actual breaks between paragraphs wouldn't hurt either.
Well Harper dropped the GST from 7% to 5%; that the previous Crouton government promised to eliminate but never did. Harper also reduced income tax rates in that very same time. Harper also faced much worse economies in his stint and has lead us through very well so far. One of the best in the world so far. (knock on wood) So he has done as well or better than the Crouton government with less taxes. That is a win for me.

Sorry if I didn't use enough paragraphs for you, I am neither an author or an editor.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Well Harper dropped the GST from 7% to 5%; that the previous Crouton government promised to eliminate but never did. Harper also reduced income tax rates in that very same time. Harper also faced much worse economies in his stint and has lead us through very well so far. One of the best in the world so far. (knock on wood) So he has done as well or better than the Crouton government with less taxes. That is a win for me.

Sorry if I didn't use enough paragraphs for you, I am neither an author or an editor.
X2 Well said
Old 03-30-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:

He also spent the surplus, and erased all the debt the Cretien/Martin government was able to pay off, promising a return to a balanced budget next year after another election and just like the Alberta PC was probably expecting to do it on the back of $100 oil.

don't get me wrong, I'm all for the cut in GST, and was shocked the liberals were reelected after not abolishing it back then. However the direction the nation is heading under Harper is not where I like, 13 years engaged in foreign conflicts, increased globalization, subservient to US foreign policy and lop sided so called free trade(liberals are equally guilty of this) agreements.

I believe in a Canada, for Canadians. Not a Canada for foreign ownership and private funny money.

Oh, I don't care how many paragraphs you decide to type, just would like to see spaces between them. walls of text are hard on my eyes.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 03-30-2015, 10:28 AM

Yup. Getting rid of DS was the right thing to do. I'm not crazy about the woman who won, but oh well...
Old 03-30-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Well Harper dropped the GST from 7% to 5%; that the previous Crouton government promised to eliminate but never did.
What's a "Crouton Government"?
...not familiar with that term at all.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:13 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
Crouton is French for Libtard.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
Johnny Crouton. He spoke kina funny there, that fellow, an ee like to take out dee golf balls for good show you know. You know????....Johhny Crouton.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:42 AM
Gone Hunting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9gbBMb9MxY

Old 03-30-2015, 12:34 PM

With this line of thought, you a part of the problem, not part of the solution! Any party will be better than what we have now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by npbra View Post
And the alternative is what? NDP would destroy this province in less than a year, Liebrals, not a chance and the Wild Rose are very dysfunctional right now. What are our options? I kind of like the idea of no government, but what is the chance of that happening.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:04 PM

I recently read a book entitled Into the Abyss that tells the story of a plane crash in the 80s that took the life of Grant Notley, amongst others. Grant was the leader of the NDP here in Alberta. One of the survivors of the same accident was Larry Saben, a MLA representing the PC party. Larry served the PC's from 1975 until 1989 and held such posts as Minister of Utilities, Minister of Housing and Minister of Economic Development. After four succesful terms, he did not chose to run again because, "The style of politics was changing. Honor, mutual respect, fairness and transparency - qualities that my father had heartily embraced – were giving way to partisanship and political quid pro quos.” Quid pro quos translates to, "something that is given to you or done for you in return for something you have given to or done for someone else."

Anothe of Larry's quote I found quite interesting was, "The biggest trap in politics is thinking it’s all about you. You do your job and are treated like a VIP. People roll out the red carpet for you. But the minute you start pretending that you’re the reason and not your position, you’re lost.”

So if Larry recognized these problems in 1989, what is our excuse for still having the PC's in power in 2015? Fear of change to another party we know nothing about? Parties that the PC party or our friends tell us how bad they are? Time to finally wake up people....
Old 03-30-2015, 01:07 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricktye View Post
I recently read a book entitled Into the Abyss that tells the story of a plane crash in the 80s that took the life of Grant Notley, amongst others. Grant was the leader of the NDP here in Alberta. One of the survivors of the same accident was Larry Saben, a MLA representing the PC party. Larry served the PC's from 1975 until 1989 and held such posts as Minister of Utilities, Minister of Housing and Minister of Economic Development. After four succesful terms, he did not chose to run again because, "The style of politics was changing. Honor, mutual respect, fairness and transparency - qualities that my father had heartily embraced – were giving way to partisanship and political quid pro quos.” Quid pro quos translates to, "something that is given to you or done for you in return for something you have given to or done for someone else."

Anothe of Larry's quote I found quite interesting was, "The biggest trap in politics is thinking it’s all about you. You do your job and are treated like a VIP. People roll out the red carpet for you. But the minute you start pretending that you’re the reason and not your position, you’re lost.”

So if Larry recognized these problems in 1989, what is our excuse for still having the PC's in power in 2015? Fear of change to another party we know nothing about? Parties that the PC party or our friends tell us how bad they are? Time to finally wake up people....

Have you ever lived anyplace where the NDP was the government?

Old 03-30-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Have you ever lived anyplace where the NDP was the government?
Yes, but only BC and Manitoba. They seem to be doing as well as we are, if not better, in important areas such as Education and Health Care, liquor taxes ( recent study shows we pay more here than any other province) and fuel tax. Income tax was higher but its going up here too. And they do have a sales tax. Property taxes were a lot less though as were food stuffs. I think cost of living pretty much averages out between the provinces, but I'm not an economist, however Stats Canada tells me the cost of living has gone up more here in the last while compared to either of those provinces.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:22 PM
Gone Hunting

So you were happy with the NDP in B.C.?
When was that?

Old 03-30-2015, 01:37 PM

That's not quite what I said, but 80's and 90's. What I meant was the average people are doing as well as they are here in the important things, although even I'm not sure the coat of liquor is real important!

How about you, what's your experience with other parties? Have you lived in other proivinces? If so, did you suffer more there in terms of health care, education, expendable income?

R...
Quote:
So you were happy with the NDP in B.C.?
When was that?
Old 03-30-2015, 02:29 PM
Gone Hunting

I was in B.C. for both NDP gov'ts. Absolutely worse than the PC in Alberta even under Redford. The Libs in power there now are not much better.

The NDP spend money like it's not theirs. Oh wait, it's not, but like the present Alberta gov't they just raise fees and taxes.For a party that presents itself for the rights of 'Joe Average" I can honestly say I can't name one positive thing the NDP did in B.C.

The political scene in AB is a gaggle of Bimbos, bozos and heroes. None of whom are who they think they are.

Are people doing well because of the NDP or in spite of the NDP?

Old 03-30-2015, 03:02 PM

LOL... Not sure.

Never have been a NDP supporter, but one question does beg to be answered.... The NDP traditionally expects to get a lot of it's funding (taxes) from the corporations as opposed to the general taxpayer. Good thing, bad thing, not mine to say, but i haven't seen or heard anything on the effect on corporate tax changes coming into effect from the latest PC budget. Have I missed something or did Prentice choose to continue to let businesses in Alberta have a free ride on the back of the common folk? I would sure hope not, but....

Quote:
I was in B.C. for both NDP gov'ts. Absolutely worse than the PC in Alberta even under Redford. The Libs in power there now are not much better.

The NDP spend money like it's not theirs. Oh wait, it's not, but like the present Alberta gov't they just raise fees and taxes.For a party that presents itself for the rights of 'Joe Average" I can honestly say I can't name one positive thing the NDP did in B.C.

The political scene in AB is a gaggle of Bimbos, bozos and heroes. None of whom are who they think they are.

Are people doing well because of the NDP or in spite of the NDP?
Old 03-30-2015, 03:07 PM
Gone Hunting

"Free ride on the back of the common folk."??? Really?? What does that even mean.? Where do the corps get there money from?

There is one payer. Raise taxes he pays. Raise corp taxes the increase is passed on to the consumer....same guy pays.
We do not have a revenue problem, we have a spending management problem.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:11 PM
Gone Hunting

"Let’s put tax cuts in terms everyone can understand. Suppose that every day, ten men go out for dinner. The bill for all ten comes to $100. If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this:

The first four men — the poorest — would pay nothing; the fifth would pay $1, the sixth would pay $3, the seventh $7, the eighth $12, the ninth $18, and the tenth man — the richest — would pay $59.

That’s what they decided to do. The ten men ate dinner in the restaurant every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement — until one day, the owner threw them a curve (in tax language a tax cut).

“Since you are all such good customers,” he said, “I’m going to reduce the cost of your daily meal by $20.” So now dinner for the ten only cost $80.00.

The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes. So the first four men were unaffected. They would still eat for free. But what about the other six — the paying customers? How could they divvy up the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his “fair share?”

The six men realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody’s share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would end up being PAID to eat their meal. So the restaurant owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man’s bill by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay.

And so the fifth man paid nothing, the sixth pitched in $2, the seventh paid $5, the eighth paid $9, the ninth paid $12, leaving the tenth man with a bill of $52 instead of his earlier $59. Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued to eat for free.

But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings. “I only got a dollar out of the $20,” declared the sixth man who pointed to the tenth. “But he got $7!”

“Yeah, that’s right,” exclaimed the fifth man, “I only saved a dollar, too … It’s unfair that he got seven times more than me!”

“That’s true!” shouted the seventh man, “why should he get $7 back when I got only $2? The wealthy get all the breaks!”

“Wait a minute,” yelled the first four men in unison, “We didn’t get anything at all. The system exploits the poor!”

The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up. The next night he didn’t show up for dinner, so the nine sat down and ate without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered — a little late — what was very important. They were FIFTY-TWO DOLLARS short of paying the bill!

Imagine that!

And that, boys and girls, journalists and college instructors, is how the tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up at the table anymore.

So what would the wealthy do? They’d simply pack their bags and move their operation to a country that hosts more intelligent tax laws."

Funny Eh?

Old 03-30-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
"Let’s put tax cuts in terms everyone can understand. Suppose that every day, ten men go out for dinner. The bill for all ten comes to $100. If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this:

The first four men — the poorest — would pay nothing; the fifth would pay $1, the sixth would pay $3, the seventh $7, the eighth $12, the ninth $18, and the tenth man — the richest — would pay $59.

That’s what they decided to do. The ten men ate dinner in the restaurant every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement — until one day, the owner threw them a curve (in tax language a tax cut).

“Since you are all such good customers,” he said, “I’m going to reduce the cost of your daily meal by $20.” So now dinner for the ten only cost $80.00.

The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes. So the first four men were unaffected. They would still eat for free. But what about the other six — the paying customers? How could they divvy up the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his “fair share?”

The six men realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody’s share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would end up being PAID to eat their meal. So the restaurant owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man’s bill by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay.

And so the fifth man paid nothing, the sixth pitched in $2, the seventh paid $5, the eighth paid $9, the ninth paid $12, leaving the tenth man with a bill of $52 instead of his earlier $59. Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued to eat for free.

But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings. “I only got a dollar out of the $20,” declared the sixth man who pointed to the tenth. “But he got $7!”

“Yeah, that’s right,” exclaimed the fifth man, “I only saved a dollar, too … It’s unfair that he got seven times more than me!”

“That’s true!” shouted the seventh man, “why should he get $7 back when I got only $2? The wealthy get all the breaks!”

“Wait a minute,” yelled the first four men in unison, “We didn’t get anything at all. The system exploits the poor!”

The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up. The next night he didn’t show up for dinner, so the nine sat down and ate without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered — a little late — what was very important. They were FIFTY-TWO DOLLARS short of paying the bill!

Imagine that!

And that, boys and girls, journalists and college instructors, is how the tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up at the table anymore.

So what would the wealthy do? They’d simply pack their bags and move their operation to a country that hosts more intelligent tax laws."

Funny Eh?
What is an intelligent tax law when laws regarding the creation of currency allows the 10th man to create currency by saying the rest of the men at the table owe it to him, plus interest?

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 03-30-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
What is an intelligent tax law when laws regarding the creation of currency allows the 10th man to create currency by saying the rest of the men at the table owe it to him, plus interest?
Can you expand on this? I think you're referring to the banking industry but need some clarification.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:36 PM

Thinking Redford must be having a good laugh about now. Lady that forced her out of office goes down in flames as well.

Grizz
Old 03-30-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbren View Post
Can you expand on this? I think you're referring to the banking industry but need some clarification.
Yes it is a reference to banking.

If you study Canada's debt from when King created the BoC to issue currency to when Truduea allowed for private creation of currency and beyond and compare it with income inequality it paints quiet the picture.

taxation isn't so much of an issue (I wish I paid a lot less) as how currency enters circulation and how it is recovered. The rich getting richer really isn't all about innovation and hard work, it's structurely designed to occur.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:55 PM

I agree that the banking industry is absolute bull. Those guys make money hand over fist, and when they create a financial collapse and lose money, the government comes in an bails them out (us govt bailout).

Lets not get that confused with the tax on corporations though. If you increase corporate tax, you're increasing the tax for small, medium, and large businesses (not just the banks). To raise corporate taxes just to try and get more money from the banks, a lot of small businesses are going to get punished.
Closed Thread