Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2015, 12:01 AM
Banned

Default Calling all Pipefitters

Hey guys,

About a week ago I got my 4th class certificate but from the looks of it the market has become flooded with new engineers and it is almost impossible now to get a job in that field. So I started researching some other trades and think that pipefitting may be a possible plan B if I dont get my PE job but just a few questions about it. How strong of a mathematical ability do you need to have in order to be a good pipefitter? How labour intensive is the job compared to other trades? And lastly, are there any companies or unions right now that are hiring first year pipefitters even with the economy as it is?
Old 03-29-2015, 01:43 AM

The Edmonton Union board (488) consistently has more job postings for steamfitters than pipefitters, if that helps steer you in one direction:

http://www.local488.ca/dispatch/steamfitter-pipefitter
Old 03-29-2015, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
The Edmonton Union board (488) consistently has more job postings for steamfitters than pipefitters, if that helps steer you in one direction:

Doesn't matter, they are the same trade. You might be better of getting your red seal plumbing. They can pull a pipefitter ticket as well. Or that's what I have always been told. There are still lots of operating jobs out there, just tougher to get without experience. Check out EPCOR and TransAlta. Valley Power is usually looking for guys as well.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTHEMI View Post
Doesn't matter, they are the same trade. You might be better of getting your red seal plumbing. They can pull a pipefitter ticket as well. Or that's what I have always been told. There are still lots of operating jobs out there, just tougher to get without experience. Check out EPCOR and TransAlta. Valley Power is usually looking for guys as well.
Not totally true. Yes, it's a way that gives you more work opportunity in the city, I have a hard time going to Fort McMurray anymore because I am a plumber. I don't do anywhere near what Cabertosser does, I do big commercial jobs, mostly boiler systems, mechanical rooms, etc. but right now in Alberta it's getting harder and harder to get onto an industrial site as a plumber. I am trying to get my steam ticket as well. Right now I do the work of steam fitters but I don't have that little piece of paper in my pocket to say the government thinks I can. Yes, they are very similar trades in a lot of respects but they are different trades.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:54 AM
Banned

Quote:

I might give them a shot if I cant find anything. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Doesn't matter, they are the same trade. You might be better of getting your red seal plumbing. They can pull a pipefitter ticket as well. Or that's what I have always been told. There are still lots of operating jobs out there, just tougher to get without experience. Check out EPCOR anis related TransAlta. Valley Power is usually looking for guys as well.
Thanks for the info, I will call those companies and see if they have anything available. Ive also heard the same thing about it being easy for a plumber to get their pipefitting ticket but pipefitting is much more of a technical trade and you need more refined skills to do it from what some have told me. Also pipefitting is related to PE which is a good thing.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
Not totally true. Yes, it's a way that gives you more work opportunity in the city, I have a hard time going to Fort McMurray anymore because I am a plumber. I don't do anywhere near what Cabertosser does, I do big commercial jobs, mostly boiler systems, mechanical rooms, etc. but right now in Alberta it's getting harder and harder to get onto an industrial site as a plumber. I am trying to get my steam ticket as well. Right now I do the work of steam fitters but I don't have that little piece of paper in my pocket to say the government thinks I can. Yes, they are very similar trades in a lot of respects but they are different trades.
In what respects are they similar and different?
Old 03-29-2015, 10:20 AM

WCTHemi isn't correct in them all being the same trade, while historically the employers used to allow plumbers to pull pipefitting job slips its not common anymore, its dictated by the employer whether or not they are willing to do this. With the current labrynth of safety paperwork and certification files that the clients safety depts want to see I'd doubt that it happens much at all, at least on sites with stringent safety programs.

I was wondering with all the threads we see here on AO (being that its the central information Hub for all things power engineering ) if a journeyman steamfitter taking power engineering would be able to simply write off the steam hours if they were crossing over to PE?
Old 03-29-2015, 10:20 AM
Banned

It's still pipe. As a plumber/pipefitter/gasfitter, I still thread pipe, I still solder pipe and I still work with welded pipe on the commercial projects. Big thing is there is typically not any steam on these projects unless they are big. I was on the Shepard Energy Center here in Calgary, but had to be there as an apprentice steamfitter, not a journeyman, even though I am a journeyman plumber/gasfitter.

There is no such thing, in Alberta at least, as a "pipefitter". It's a slang term thrown around and it gets the point across. But the way most contractors, plants, and the big one is the government see it, it's plumber, gasfitter, and steamfitters.

Basically the biggest difference, steamfitters work on steam piping. The hot water heating is a toss up between the fitters and plumbers.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
WCTHemi isn't correct in them all being the same trade, while historically the emoployers used to allow plumbers to pull pipefitting job slips its not common anymore, its dictated by the employer whether or not they are willing to do this.
Most times it's not even the contractor either. It's above them. It's the Suncor's, Syncrudes, CNRL's that are dictating it.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:23 AM

Was editing that in as you posted
Old 03-29-2015, 09:22 PM
Banned

There are virtually no jobs right now for pipefitter where I live. Sucks.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Good luck trying to get into the union as a plumber. They couldnt be bothered to return any of my numerous calls. (Just to get some info about joining) and after numerous trips to the hall to talk to somebody and here no one was available at the time. 488 up here kinda seems like a joke