Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-31-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doetracks View Post
Not knowing the FMS in the Airbus, I will have to tentatively agree with prop and BigRacks.

And, not having flown a 320, I can only surmise that they *should* have been stabilized well before minimums. If they had their visual reference, and knowing this is a 10 000' + runway, there is no reason they would even attempt to land short. In landing short, I mean landing "on the numbers" as opposed to the 1000' markers. There is a PAPI (approach path indicator) light system that the CREW would have seen as well.

So, why were they THAT low? Pushing it due to fuel? Gusting winds with drifting snow obscuring visibility low level? Mission centric deviation,aka getthereitis (I would hope not)?

Hopefully a report comes out sooner than later. I'm sure there will be some indication (indirectly) through Transport Canada in a directive before anything officially hits the mainstream news.
getthereitis!! Love that one

Not sure what the friction index was on the runway, if bad crfi maybe a reason he wanted to plant it short? PAPI's would have been on, or should have been anyways. Non-precision approach, they are supposed to be on all of the time. Only on a precision approach would they get shut off if the vis is under 1 mi or ceiling less than 500'.