Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-25-2018, 08:27 AM
Banned

Default Perch in Slave, any tips?

I'm heading to slave today and was hoping to catch some perch, can anyone give me direction? I've only fished slave 3 times and all three times was during the summer.

Pm's welcome.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:32 AM

I’ve never gotten into a school of perch there. Usually get the odd incidental catch while bottom bouncing or jigging for walleye. Also never caught one there under 12 inches. I’ve often wondered if there were people that target them specifically and how they made out.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:42 AM

I have never caught one there but talking to a few people that have they all say the same thing as Moose. You get lucky and catch the odd one here or there all over the lake.

There must be the odd spot on the lake that they prefer and hang out in larger numbers but on a lake that size good luck at finding it.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:43 AM
Banned

I don't know where to go for walleye either. Dog island?
Old 02-25-2018, 11:59 AM

Best is usually at cutbank. But random at best. Biggest perch I’ve caught was at dog island on the west side. Summer tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2018, 08:59 PM

West end is good for perch and walleye. Near the Narrows on the west side is good for walleye and pike, perch are further towards Joussard and Big Grassy.

Like Moose says, they are randomly spread out. But I find west basin is usually better. 20 feet of water is a good depth to fish around.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:14 AM

I’ve had about the same luck as most , I get about 2 or 3 on a few day trip. I just started using a small five of diamonds and that worked well for walleye and a perch when it showed up.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 02-26-2018, 04:27 PM

Default NOT "pumpjack" fishing

The nice part about this time of year is that the holes from one day to the next do not freeze up too badly.

The NASTY part about this time of year, is drilling the holes.

30 FOW off the break at Cutbank, further west to the "nose" the better.

Start by getting a bunch of friends with power augers. Make it a contest to see who can cut the most holes in an hour. Even if you have to offer the winner a prize like a 26 of Canadian Club.

You can cut them yourself, but bring an AED with you so your buddy can at least resuscitate you if need be. Make sure your buddy does not make contact when the thing "sparks". No need for two people dying.

Next, drill at least 10 - 30 holes about 10 - 15 yards apart, and do not spend more than 5 minutes a hole. you will get a hit pretty quick in the deep if there is something there, sometimes 2 or 3 fish, and then the hole goes dead. If you sit on a hole, you can spend the whole afternoon for nothing.

Now march hole to hole. That IS THE REASON the month is called March, don't you know?

The fish are big and some days all you do is arate the lake. Some days you get a limit of very nice perch.

Drewski
Old 02-26-2018, 04:50 PM
Banned

Fishing was slooooowwwwww on slave, took off at noon and stopped at ghost on the way back. 3 little pike and a few tiny perch. Pretty slow weekend for fishing.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:10 AM

Cut Bank was always good for perch havent been there in a while not sure if a person can even get out there this year with ice heaves
Old 02-27-2018, 09:35 AM

use a perch colored hali jig weight with a 1-2 foot or a 2-4 foot leader below and your favorite perch jig.

When perch are spread out you can bring them in with the attraction of the hali and then catch them with the lure.

Sometimes just using a hali jig and start a slow twitch jig while slowly lowering to the bottom can also attract them in.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-28-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye1 View Post
Cut Bank was always good for perch havent been there in a while not sure if a person can even get out there this year with ice heaves
No problems at all this season with ice heaves around Cutbank ( so far....) Access has been very good. We are getting LOTS of snow and drifting the last couple weeks so it's getting tougher but still ok.

I'm on and off the lake to Cutbank 4 - 6 times a week.