Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-22-2007, 11:14 PM
WSMMAN

Default light weight camp stoves

looking for a light weight camp stove for a fly in hunt this year.

was wondering if anybody every seen anything like this or if they have any experiances with them.

looking around 30lbs or less.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:36 PM
bubbades

The guy i am going up to help setup bear camp bought a stove from campers village that is about 30 inch long 20 inch wide and 15 deep with oven and a water tank too i think. you can lift it with one hand so it should meet the 30 pound limit. we are packing on tuesday to leave thursday morning so if i remember i will ask for more info.

bubbades
Old 04-23-2007, 10:20 AM
BigBullAdventures

I'm using a cylinder stove now(65lbs.), but before that, I used a breakdown
tin stove that I bought at Wholesale Sports. It is 24" long by 12" wide and 2" thick when dismantled. It is 24" x 12" x12" when assembled. The stove pipe is telescopic, and each of the 5 pieces fit inside one another. I bought a damper that installs inside the pipe, and a spark arrester for the top. It weighs no more than 15 lbs. and cost me about $120. Also, you could get one of those air tight "hippie killers" at Wholesale or Campers Village for around $50 and buy the stove pipe pieces you need. It's bulkier, but you could fill it with gear. The above mentioned stoves will do the job, but they will consume more wood than the heavier, more expensive models.
What airline/outfitter are you using for your fly-in?

BigBull
Old 04-23-2007, 01:05 PM
Okotokian

LOL when I read "lightweight" I was going to recommend Mountain Equipment Coop, where they weigh their stoves in ounces.... then I read your 30 lb limit... what the heck do you usually do? Pack your home gas range out on your back? LOL

I'm sure many are under 30. I've always liked my coleman two burner propane model. Fairly slim with rounded corners and you can easily use disposable bottles you can buy anywhere.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:30 AM
WSMMAN

big bull i'm going were your going. i think you were in when i came out. i could be wrong but you had the king ranch ford with the horse trailer. your movies is the reason i went there in the first place.

hope to go a few days later. than last year seemed to get cooler as we were leaving.

saw a huge bull so were going back for another chance.

we bought one of those TIPITENTS and am looking for a stove that doesn't wiegh more than the tent.

why do all these stoves have the large 4" chimney pipe?

we were hoping to find one with smaller 3" or 2.5" pipe. smaller and takes up less room in the tent.

seen a few good options going to have to take a drive up to edmonton for a look around
Old 04-24-2007, 09:41 AM
BigBullAdventures

WSMMAN, check out www.walltentshop.com/SimsStove.html
They have some stoves with the smaller stove pipes.
We're flying in on Sep. 22 and out on Oct. 6. Maybe we'll see you there.
We have the green Chev with the tent trailer turned moose hauler.

BigBull
Old 04-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Roebag

If your looking for something more for heating, the "Airtight Steel Heaters" are great. We've been using these for years because they are very light weight, they can take big blocks of wood, all the piping fits nicely inside the stove, and they are cheap. We usually take a coleman propane fired stove for cooking our elaborate meals on though, but we have done lots of cooking on the heater also.
You can look at them on the S.I.R. website, but most hardware stores carry them. I know Peavy, Cdn Tire, Co-op hardwares usually all stock them.
Remember to put a little clay or sand(~1") in the bottom first and you should get many years of service from it.