Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-23-2007, 09:49 PM
MrLeahy

Default gun range etiquette

I have a question about gun range etiquette. I'm looking for some solid advice. In early September, a couple of us will hit out the to range in Spruce Grove. It's usually just to double check the scopes and patterns. I really really want to get a different scope. I've wanted one for about 3 yrs. BUT, sometimes when we get there, there will be a few guys and always one guy with a spotting scope...which is awesome for that guy. I feel like such a HOSER when it seems that we are "holding back" the dude with the spotting scope. How do you guys with spotting scopes feel about the mooks that don't have one and have to do all the checking manually?? It kinda disrupts my shooting cuz I'm worrying about what the other guy is thinking..I don't want him thinking we're a bunch of cheapo's not having a spotting scope..what's yer take guys!!:|
Old 04-23-2007, 10:01 PM
Dick284

I'ts quite simple, you politely ask the fellow with the spotting scope what he would prefer, you guys hiking back and forth, or if that is annoying to him, politely ask if he would'nt mind spotting for you guys as well, 9 times out of 10 he'll offer the use of his spotting scope, and probably be very friendly and amicable, you never know you might just make a good friend out of talking with him etc.etc.
If the guy flat out refuses to work with and prefers to be a un friendly soul, start hiking and write him off.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:55 PM
Canmoron

I use a scope - superb advice Dick.

Andrew
Old 04-24-2007, 07:48 AM
Hummm

Default Hummm

"How do you guys with spotting scopes feel about the mooks that don't have one and have to do all the checking manually??"I wouldnt mind it it give a chance for my gun's to cool off and if someone asked to use my spotting scope .I wouldnt mind I like to help out where i can .

"It kinda disrupts my shooting cuz I'm worrying about what the other guy is thinking..I don't want him thinking we're a bunch of cheapo's not having a spotting scope..what's yer take guys!! " Dont ever worry what the other guy thinks your there for you and to better your shooting just like the rest of them .MY 2 Cent's
Old 04-24-2007, 08:04 AM
209x50cal

Default Re: Hummm

Excellent advice Dick, I often volunteer my scope.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:23 AM
Duffy4

Hmmmmm????? What are "mooks"?? Guys without spotting scopes????

It is nice to be considerate of otheres but speak up and deal with a situation, don't silently wonder what someone else is thinking and let that have a negative effect on you.

Have a good one and keep doing lots of shooting. It is fun and it will make you a better more effective hunter.

Robin in Rocky
Old 04-24-2007, 11:22 AM
Blakeinator2

If i had a scope i'd probably offer to have a look for them if i saw them going up to check all the time. Never know, might be doing both a favor...they zero and get going sooner and maybe you end up with the range to yourself again? I had a fellow help me with that once and i appreciated it greatly...i asked and he was more than happy to help out.

B