Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-18-2012, 01:39 PM

Default bass pro shop

I've been trying to get whole of someone in the hunting department for a half hour and nobody seems to want to pick up the phone....has anybody else had this problem....thinking I might just go somewhere else
Old 09-18-2012, 01:42 PM

Always have the problem... eventually they passed me through to some admin... I asked if they had a particular rifle in stock she just said ... "yes".. I asked which cal she said "all of them". When I arrived, they had none.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:08 PM

I have had a simular experience with the gun counter there when I was looking for a Marlin lever gun in a 450 or 45/70. When I finally got through to talk to someone they told me that the Marlins only came in 30/30's. I look at Bass Pro as the Wall-Mart of hunting stores. If you are looking for quality and more knowledgable staff I would suggest Whole Sale Sports.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:44 PM

You may find that all the hunter counters are pretty busy at this time of year and are usually helping instore customers. Your best bet is to phone when they open and be bang on cause it get busier and busier very fast.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C & C View Post
You may find that all the hunter counters are pretty busy at this time of year and are usually helping instore customers. Your best bet is to phone when they open and be bang on cause it get busier and busier very fast.
Agree
Old 09-18-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C & C View Post
Good advise.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:00 PM

Default Bass pro

Was there on Sunday morning at 10am when the store opened. I went right to the boot dept and was looking and waiting for someone to help me for over 30min. I never even saw anyone in the dept. I found people in the clothing and BBQ but not boots. That was my first time and probably my last. i get better service and prices at Whole Sale and it is alot closer. My 2 cents.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:00 PM

Default bass pro

I can't believe I am going to praise the "Walmart" of the outdoor stores but I went in and got helped by one of the most helpful sales people I have had in a very long time. If you go in tonight I think he said he was working. His name is Rollie.

On the phone thing, they are all the same this time of year. VERY BUSY

Good luck
Joe
Old 09-18-2012, 03:27 PM

Without fail, every time I go there some arrogant employee (not saying all of them are bad) who thinks they are a rock star will mislead me in some way or another.

The trouble is that they have good selection and good prices...
Old 09-18-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad mountain mike View Post
I have had a simular experience with the gun counter there when I was looking for a Marlin lever gun in a 450 or 45/70. When I finally got through to talk to someone they told me that the Marlins only came in 30/30's. I look at Bass Pro as the Wall-Mart of hunting stores. If you are looking for quality and more knowledgable staff I would suggest Whole Sale Sports.
Yep, you're upgrading from Wal-Mart to Sears.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantheman View Post

The trouble is that they have good selection and good prices...
I beg to differ.For example,when I was shopping for wading boots this spring,BP price on Simms was marked up 10-20% above the MSRP that I could get at ANY and EVERY flyshop on CGY!
What pi$$Ed me off even more was that in their online catalog,which is clearly labelled as BP Calgary Canada,the same boots were 10-20% less.I was told by some pimply face kid that the catalog is USA pricing....to which I replied "But it says "BP Canada" on the website?"
No explanation?
Then I said CDN/US dollar are at par or damn close?
Couldn't explan it?
Then I said these boots are $129 online,$169 in your store,and I can get them at ANY flyshop in Calgary(probly any in Canada?) for $149......then I left and bought them at FishTales!

And that's happened to me at BP more than once,their advertised price online don't mean jack!
Old 09-18-2012, 05:14 PM

The only time they have good prices is if they have bigs sales. There is not anyone in there that knows anything about anything. Way better service at wholesale sports and cabelas has a better website and catalogue. Just my thoughts and exsperiance.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadham View Post
Yep, you're upgrading from Wal-Mart to Sears.
Thats about right
Old 09-18-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh View Post
The only time they have good prices is if they have bigs sales. There is not anyone in there that knows anything about anything. Way better service at wholesale sports and cabelas has a better website and catalogue. Just my thoughts and exsperiance.
I agree I find wholesales sports hunting department way more helpful but I do like the lure selection at BP
Old 09-18-2012, 07:21 PM

All I wanted was a Montana elk decoy, so I called and waited on the phone for a good 20 min and no awnser...so repeatedly called back untill someone finally awnsered asked if the had one....they had one left but for $30 bucks more than wholesale...so I went to wholesale instead and went to the archery department and the guy their said he was to busy to help me....I then went to customer service to see if their was anyone else that could help me and that's when randy the manager came to give me a hand....they didn't have any but he says he will call me when they get them in....good and bad at both I think
Old 09-18-2012, 07:32 PM

Big Box store. Surely you don't expect service?

Grizz
Old 09-19-2012, 09:38 PM

Ive done my share of shopping at ws and bp. I vowed never to shop at ws because of the many times ive had issues there. Both are impossible to get a hold of on the phone. Bp is close to where i live and havent had any major issues with them yet.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:17 AM

I love ws compared to bp. I find ws has better knowledge and for what im looking for better pricing. Can't stand bp, all think they are so damn special, they don't know jack.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:46 AM
Banned

I get a kick out of the fat "Bubbles" looking guy at Bass Pros gun counter. His name is Dwayne. Some of the garbage this guy spews is hilarious
Old 09-20-2012, 01:15 AM

Angry Totaly Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad mountain mike View Post
I agree that Basspro Hunting are not knowledgeable. They work just like sale persons. They just sale what they want to sale and do not care what the customer really need. I have very bad experience before.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
I beg to differ.For example,when I was shopping for wading boots this spring,BP price on Simms was marked up 10-20% above the MSRP that I could get at ANY and EVERY flyshop on CGY!
What pi$$Ed me off even more was that in their online catalog,which is clearly labelled as BP Calgary Canada,the same boots were 10-20% less.I was told by some pimply face kid that the catalog is USA pricing....to which I replied "But it says "BP Canada" on the website?"
No explanation?
Then I said CDN/US dollar are at par or damn close?
Couldn't explan it?
Then I said these boots are $129 online,$169 in your store,and I can get them at ANY flyshop in Calgary(probly any in Canada?) for $149......then I left and bought them at FishTales!

And that's happened to me at BP more than once,their advertised price online don't mean jack!

This is definitely an issue at BPS.....they really need to get a Canadian web site. You can't rely on the prices on there as US prices are way cheaper for most things.....I am in the states right now and just bought a camo jacket for $59 that would have cost me $99 in Canada at BPS....silly I know.....mind you it probably would have cost $199 at Whole Sale.

Over the years I have noticed that in general (and I go a lot ) Whole sale....guns and ammo are cheaper.......clothes and misc assesories are more expensive, everything else is hit or miss. Compared to Bass Pro that is.

As for gun counters....service at both is not really that good but the guys at Whole Sale are more knowledgable. I just got to know two guys pretty good and only talk to them.