Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2016, 06:17 AM

I'd be tempted to have said no tips to the guests rather than surrender it ....in hindsight.
I don't like tipping...it's ok to tip a waitress/restaurant job but not the same person if she works in a gas station or tims.? don't get it...

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 02-21-2016, 08:12 AM

When I was going to college I worked building a golf course one year. Us newbies labored for +12 hours a day, 6 days a week in the blazing sun, wind, rain. Lunch and breaks were hard fought events. Our trainer/overlord sat on a tractor and simply watched us for most of the day. He made double what we did and got bonuses. Unfair??? I think it was all part of paying my dues but others may disagree. I was neither scarred or worse the wear for it. Learning experience.

The issue of tipping a specific person is irrelevant to this situation. That just isn't how any restaurant works whether we'd like to see it that way or not. (and I would much rather be able to direct my tip!) I tip for service but I do also tip for food so I have no problem with the kitchen etc gettin some financial credit.

I think a bigger issue in todays society is the issue of parents getting involved in their grown kids lives. Definitely on the rise. I'm sure restaurants deal with it daily.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:15 AM

she should get 75% and the trainer 25%
Old 02-21-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
When I was going to college I worked building a golf course one year. Us newbies labored for +12 hours a day, 6 days a week in the blazing sun, wind, rain. Lunch and breaks were hard fought events. Our trainer/overlord sat on a tractor and simply watched us for most of the day. He made double what we did and got bonuses. Unfair??? I think it was all part of paying my dues but others may disagree. I was neither scarred or worse the wear for it. Learning experience.

The issue of tipping a specific person is irrelevant to this situation. That just isn't how any restaurant works whether we'd like to see it that way or not. (and I would much rather be able to direct my tip!) I tip for service but I do also tip for food so I have no problem with the kitchen etc gettin some financial credit.

I think a bigger issue in todays society is the issue of parents getting involved in their grown kids lives. Definitely on the rise. I'm sure restaurants deal with it daily.
Excellent and especially the last part in light of the responce to OMEGA50 post
Old 02-21-2016, 08:46 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Farmer View Post
Agreed, dirty practice, morals and ethics are no longer what they were.
Exactly,

Now when they go to take the trash out a little behind the dumpster back alley chat should take place just to set things straight...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-21-2016, 09:13 AM

The trainer not sharing sounds like utter BS, and the practice itself is questionable at best. I can see where it creates an issue by having the trainee not having their own swipe-in key for the till and puts the trainer at financial risk by having them share one, so flipping issue them their own key so they're not at risk from a greedy trainer who exhibits no civility, fairness or appreciation for their teamwork. The whole process sounds as though it's designed to keep the management from actually having to do their job in managing and training that new staffer, "I'll delegate this and pay someone else to do it!". To me the whole thing seems to foreshadow a pattern of crap & abuse. I know wait staff tip-out spreads to the kitchen and even management, but for Pete's sake some should have gone to her.

I'll echo what the others have said in regards to parental involvement, have none. Advise her for sure, but let her be the only one taking action. (Not suggesting you're that helicopter parent, it's more a generic statement to anyone reading who's kids might stand to benefit from their parents stepping back and letting them have the room to succeed or to fail on their own)
Old 02-21-2016, 11:36 AM
Gone Hunting

i wonder how much the trainer lost while explaining stuff to your daughter, prior to this?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-21-2016, 01:49 PM

Yep, Greeeeeeaaaassssyyyy..
Old 02-21-2016, 03:00 PM
Banned

Thanks for all the responces boys and girls. Rest assured that I have stood aside and the only suggestion I offered my daughter was to perhaps suggest to her guests that if they like the food and sevice and they are leaving a tip, cash would be best. I don't think she would even do that though, and she knows nothing about this thread.
That said, if I were to hear that a mng. or owner tried to make her show her appreciation for the privelage of working for them in these tough times (when are times not tough?), in an inappropriate manner, I just might do something silly like becoming involved. Doubt that would happen though.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:45 AM

can you say which restaurant it is, or is that against forum rules?