Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-06-2024, 08:45 AM

Default Prince Rupert Fishing

Hi Guys,

This is the year. Just planning a trip for my brother and I. I have done a bunch of looking around and trying to find an all inclusive fishing lodge.

In my search I have found two places that seem to look good at first impressions. If anyone has some experience with them or others please chime in on options.

Dolphins North Lodge

Eagle Point Lodge

We are also open to just booking a daily charter and getting our own accommodations. The all inclusive just seems like you get the rock star treatment.

Thanks
Old 02-06-2024, 09:24 AM

I've fished in Rupert and a few other spots out way, but if I was planning another trip, I would go to Port Hardy and fish with Serengetti Charters again.

I've been on 6 charters and they are the only ones I would return to. They treated us like gold and were relentless in their efforts to make sure they put us on fish. I've been on boats where they don't want to move when you aren't catching because they don't want to burn fuel. Not the case with them. They take you to where the fish are.

Each time we returned to the dock, they always had more fish than the other guys.

I'm usually not this fan-boyish with my praise, but they deserve it.
Old 02-06-2024, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermag View Post
They treated us like gold and were relentless in their efforts to make sure they put us on fish. I've been on boats where they don't want to move when you aren't catching because they don't want to burn fuel.
This ^^
I won't be back to Bear Cove for the fishing part again for this exact reason.

If you can find an outfit like Serengeti that will go the extra effort, they are worth every penny.
Old 02-06-2024, 09:43 AM

Default Gladiator Fishing PR

As stated Dave at Serengeti operates a great lodger, they will burn fuel to get you fish. If you are going to Prince Rupert I would give Bryce a call, he is now running his own charter out of PR for a few years now, https://www.fishingprincerupert.com.
He is a great fisherman and excellent guide, I would not hesitate to go out with him. Good luck and enjoy wherever you go.
Old 02-06-2024, 09:48 AM

This is a post I will be following as I have never done a coast fishing trip yet.
Not sure what is a better adventure .
Going for 2-3 days where they bring you back to port every day and you get your own hotel room or is it better fishing 3 days and sleep in the boat behind some island . Who offers what ?

Last edited by -JR-; 02-06-2024 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-06-2024, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermag View Post
I've fished in Rupert and a few other spots out way, but if I was planning another trip, I would go to Port Hardy and fish with Serengetti Charters again.

I've been on 6 charters and they are the only ones I would return to. They treated us like gold and were relentless in their efforts to make sure they put us on fish. I've been on boats where they don't want to move when you aren't catching because they don't want to burn fuel. Not the case with them. They take you to where the fish are.

Each time we returned to the dock, they always had more fish than the other guys.

I'm usually not this fan-boyish with my praise, but they deserve it.
Trust me Serengeti will get me on board one day. The problem is the travel to get to the Island just won't work this time around. I would do it in a heartbeat. So looking at the next best option up in Rupert.
Old 02-06-2024, 12:10 PM

I understand. I don't remember who I went with in Rupert, only that they were not memorable. LOL
Old 02-06-2024, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhunter View Post
Hi Guys,

This is the year. Just planning a trip for my brother and I. I have done a bunch of looking around and trying to find an all inclusive fishing lodge.

In my search I have found two places that seem to look good at first impressions. If anyone has some experience with them or others please chime in on options.

Dolphins North Lodge

Eagle Point Lodge

We are also open to just booking a daily charter and getting our own accommodations. The all inclusive just seems like you get the rock star treatment.

Thanks
I'd recommend Eagle Pointe over Dolphins by far. Haa Nee Naa runs a good operation as well. If cost is any issue go with Sunset Charters or Deep Spring. All these places will be mostly booked already for 2024 dates that being said.
Old 02-06-2024, 02:17 PM

Many good reviews on Serengeti, tough to look past them.

Only fished Rupert once, never again. Did the hotel/day charter thing with a local outfit (2 words, one is a direction arrow on a compass, second is the ship Cpt Bligh ran), perhaps the worst charter on earth. Pretty much everything the owner said was a lie, guides were either mentally unstable or high on dope, boat was falling apart. Our tip was made up of coins and $5 bills.

I would never book a charter unless I personally knew someone who used and loved them...too much at risk.

Zeke
Old 02-06-2024, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoholik View Post
As stated Dave at Serengeti operates a great lodger, they will burn fuel to get you fish. If you are going to Prince Rupert I would give Bryce a call, he is now running his own charter out of PR for a few years now, https://www.fishingprincerupert.com.
He is a great fisherman and excellent guide, I would not hesitate to go out with him. Good luck and enjoy wherever you go.
X2. I have only chatted with Bryce about fishing around Rupert and he has been a wealth of knowledge.

For more research, go here.

https://sportfishingbc.com/

Do a search and you will find a ton of info. There is a yearly fishing report for Rupert with lots of info.

And of the two, I would go to Eagle Point hands down. Dolphins is more a resort for tourists that a true fishing resort. It used to be a fishing resort, but has become more of boutique resort.

Cheers

SS
Old 02-06-2024, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Trust me Serengeti will get me on board one day. The problem is the travel to get to the Island just won't work this time around. I would do it in a heartbeat. So looking at the next best option up in Rupert.
Been with Serengetti its a good operation but there are definitely reputable operations in Rupert that will put you on fish and go that extra mile.
Old 02-07-2024, 07:13 AM

There is also the option of staying out on a floating dock in a wall tent out of Rupert. Check out Sunset Charters. Fantastic outfit and he has the option of doing overnight charters where you stay out on his floating dock with a wall tent, bedding, bbq, etc. You just have to bring your own food is all.
Old 02-07-2024, 07:54 PM

Was in Rupert in 95. I had a boat & bought charts. Talked to locals & went fishing. Within sight of the Ferry dock I caught Halibut , Ling , Rockfish etc. Never tried for Salmon , as I do not like them: too fishy.
I still have a bunch of charts & will not ever likey fish there again.
After that summer I moved to QCI. I have lots of charts & caught tons of fish etc.

Just thought I'd mention this , as many cannot afford charters.....but have a boat.
Mine was a 14' (might have been 16' ?) Erston (?) glass carft with a 50 HP Merc. Plenty of boat if you watch/listen to forcasts.
Old 02-09-2024, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Dolphins North Lodge

Eagle Point Lodge

Thanks
We are going August 4,5 this year. We booked with CMF charters. We are staying in the totem lodge motel. Having a kitchenette is why we booked there. I planned it so we could take the detour home through the okanogan for peach season. Total length of our holiday is 10 days.
Old 02-14-2024, 09:22 AM

Salmon retention regulations in Rupert are a consideration when selecting the time of your trip.....if that matters to you. There are parts of the year where you are not able to retain Spring Salmon sometimes you can retain one and sometimes you can retain 2 it varies a bit each year.
Old 02-15-2024, 10:36 AM

After most of my search we have narrowed the date to be first two weeks of June. They usually do the retention cut around June 15- Aug 1 from the last few seasons.

Still up in the air who we will be booking but we have a shortlist.

Thanks for all the replies and welcome any more advice or experience.

Thanks
Old 02-17-2024, 09:26 AM

Quote:
After most of my search we have narrowed the date to be first two weeks of June. They usually do the retention cut around June 15- Aug 1 from the last few seasons.

Still up in the air who we will be booking but we have a shortlist.

Thanks for all the replies and welcome any more advice or experience.

Thanks
I’ve been Fishing Rupert for years, guiding for the past decade, and will continue this summer…..

Things to consider

Lodges

-Eagle Point has the nicest boats , other lodges boats are small, and open to the elements…
-small boats s have limited range and weather they can run in
-with limited range at the lodges, if the runs are not in the time, You’re usually stuck… you can’t run 40 miles from North Dundas down to Edye Pass if that’s where she hot bite is….

Fishing from town offers a lot more flexibility and range to where the best runs may be. Crucial to book with a charter who is willing to go where the fish are (not all put in the effort).

Closure’s tend to be from about June 18 to July 11th with the exception of the one year DFO kept Chinook closed till August 1. Coho tend to start showing up in numbers around the third week of June, while Chinook tend to start thinning out mid July…

Some old charters packing it in, some new ones starting up… if anyone any further questions, feel free to PM me
Old 02-17-2024, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surhuntsalot View Post
I’ve been Fishing Rupert for years, guiding for the past decade, and will continue this summer…..

Things to consider

Lodges

-Eagle Point has the nicest boats , other lodges boats are small, and open to the elements…
-small boats s have limited range and weather they can run in
-with limited range at the lodges, if the runs are not in the time, You’re usually stuck… you can’t run 40 miles from North Dundas down to Edye Pass if that’s where she hot bite is….

Fishing from town offers a lot more flexibility and range to where the best runs may be. Crucial to book with a charter who is willing to go where the fish are (not all put in the effort).

Closure’s tend to be from about June 18 to July 11th with the exception of the one year DFO kept Chinook closed till August 1. Coho tend to start showing up in numbers around the third week of June, while Chinook tend to start thinning out mid July…

Some old charters packing it in, some new ones starting up… if anyone any further questions, feel free to PM me
This is probably some of the best advice. Dundas is a great area and Haa nee naa and Eagle point have access to Zayas which is great bottom fishing. But sometimes the flexibility of running from town definitely can be an advantage. One year we stayed at Eagles Bluff got picked up at our doorstep every morning. Some good charters out of town as well as some terrible ones.

Last edited by HL_transplant; 02-17-2024 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
This is a post I will be following as I have never done a coast fishing trip yet.
Not sure what is a better adventure .
Going for 2-3 days where they bring you back to port every day and you get your own hotel room or is it better fishing 3 days and sleep in the boat behind some island . Who offers what ?
We've done both options and I much prefer the hotel back in town every night. Try some crazy good restaurants and see the sites, the staying on boat by dundas was neat but wouldn't do it again.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:46 PM

Back in the mid 1980's I moved to Terrace for 6 months just for the fishing.
I fished the Skeena, Kitimat and other rivers and streams with great success. All were fished from shore.

I know there are more restrictions now but you can still shore fish these rivers from shore. Salmon or sea run trout are a fun challenge from shore. A 50 lb. chinook might take a couple hours to get in. . A person can fish the Skeena, the Kitimat or a few other good rivers in the area between Terrace and Rupert. There are places you can camp along the rivers too. I know now there are more restrictions on keeping chinooks so a person would have to learn what salmon are running when. Sea run trout are easy to catch too.

I am just saying that you don't need to charter a boat to catch some nice salmon and trout. You don't have to worry about the weather as much or sea sickness when fishing from shore. If I were going to the area nowadays I would look at that option of a self guided trip too. Less expensive and you are not restricted to a boat.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-22-2024, 11:02 PM

Once the salmons enter the river they stop eating and start changing. Most of them still bite but for other reasons.
If they change too much they are not worth keeping. Some are OK if you fish close to the ocean and away from the spawning grounds.
Everybody wanted a silver salmon, the color and shape that they have in the ocean.
Old 02-23-2024, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fradaburidi View Post
Once the salmons enter the river they stop eating and start changing. Most of them still bite but for other reasons.
If they change too much they are not worth keeping. Some are OK if you fish close to the ocean and away from the spawning grounds.
Everybody wanted a silver salmon, the color and shape that they have in the ocean.
All the salmon I caught in the Skeena, Kitimat and other rivers were still silver bullets. I was fishing 10 to 20 miles in from the ocean. The salmon were biting on spin and glows with a roe bag on the hook. All the sea run trout would bite on spoons.

The biggest chinook i caught was 60 lbs. and took almost 4 hours to get in and a half mile of shore line.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-23-2024, 10:50 AM

Get ahold of Bryce in Rupert he won’t steer you wrong. Very fishy guy
Old 02-26-2024, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
All the salmon I caught in the Skeena, Kitimat and other rivers were still silver bullets. I was fishing 10 to 20 miles in from the ocean. The salmon were biting on spin and glows with a roe bag on the hook. All the sea run trout would bite on spoons.

The biggest chinook i caught was 60 lbs. and took almost 4 hours to get in and a half mile of shore line.

The Skeena is pretty much shut down now for Chinooks. Last year it closed June 9th and is still closed.