Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-31-2014, 10:38 AM

Default Small goose spread

Hello I'm relatively new to goose hunting I currently have 2 dozen full
Body decoys thinking about getting another dozen. My question is how do you guys set up a smaller spread?
Old 07-31-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_h_c View Post
Body decoys thinking about getting another dozen. My question is how do you guys set up a smaller spread?
Set em up just like you would a larger set! Doing a smaller scale 'J' pattern usually does it!
Old 07-31-2014, 11:53 AM

I've killed a lot of geese in late season over a dozen FBs..never really used a small spread early season but it would work no problem!birds join the first flock on the ground an that can be a pair of honks or 20 so yur small spread is just great!
Old 07-31-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman160 View Post
I've killed a lot of geese in late season over a dozen FBs..never really used a small spread early season but it would work no problem!birds join the first flock on the ground an that can be a pair of honks or 20 so yur small spread is just great!
X2
Old 07-31-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_h_c View Post
To add to my previous post....maybe look at spreading your dollar and instead of another dozen full bodies go with 2 dozen silos? Great for filling out a spread and adding numbers to the flock. You can never have too many dekes in your trailer, but you certainly can have access to too few.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:21 PM

You can make a spread look more full by doing groups of 2 or 3 and keeping 8 - 10 feet between them.

Keep the J or U shape and put the blinds where the decoy groups are.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:46 PM
Banned

2-3 dozen is usually lots for the start of the season. Flocks where I hunt are mostly still locals, so total flocks are maybe 2-300 birds. Sometimes birds are still in small 6-8 bird groups at this time, so I spread them the groups out a bit more, with a distinct separation between groups, still in a sort of broken U setup. Not sure if you really need to do that, but that is the way I see them feeding quite a bit it the field. Later in the season, I set the same as the others suggested.

Little hard to see in the pics, this was an early season shoot, set in groups.

Last edited by bobalong; 07-31-2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:43 PM

I've gotten a few easy limits of early season geese with only a half dozen decoys. Put the time in and made sure they were patterned to a particular area of a pea field for a few nights and mornings, set up a single small family group in the area offside and well away from a low profile, well brushed lay down blind. Nothing to it, tons of fun and lots of in your face action
(Little bit of practice with calls and experimenting with a goose flag pays off big time too.)
Old 08-01-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
To add to my previous post....maybe look at spreading your dollar and instead of another dozen full bodies go with 2 dozen silos? Great for filling out a spread and adding numbers to the flock. You can never have too many dekes in your trailer, but you certainly can have access to too few.
X2
Old 08-02-2014, 07:55 AM

If I have the room to carry and store 36 full bodies that would be my preference. That number of full bodies makes for a great base spread that will draw birds all season. It's easier to hide blinds among full bodies imho as well. Silos work and are great if you are pressed for storage space,, but generally you can get away with fewer realistic full body decoys compared to other styles of decoys..