Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-28-2024, 10:50 AM

Default Looking for opinions on a good boat

Hey everyone

So we are looking for something along the lines of a 16 to 18 footer. Something that is carpeted where you can walk around on the deck and cast off of etc.

It doesn’t need to be super fancy by any means, but want something decent that will last.

I am not up-to-date on all the models and brands out there so I was hoping to get some ideas from you guys.
Old 02-28-2024, 11:38 AM

Not too many boats with full carpet any more. Most are a form of dura dek which is easy to clean. Carpet is sometimes found on the bow but that is about it.

If you want fully carpet you should look for older models 2000 to 2010 that area.

The most popular are Lund, Crestliner, Sylvan, Smoker Craft and quite a few others, cannot remember them all.

Try and find one with a 4 stroke FI MOTOR with a 16 or 18 ft. you also should consider a 9.9min. HP kicker and a front either Minn Kota or any of the other popular brands.

If you are looking now there are a good number of used for sale. Make sure if you buy one that is comes with a Bunk trailer not rollers.

Good Luck
Old 02-28-2024, 12:00 PM

Will you be using it for pulling some kids on a tube or a skier; multi-use?

If so, engine and prop size will play a role in your selection. Without a doubt a 4 stroke engine for sure regardless of your use.

BOAT = Bring On Another Thousand.....

Have fun.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 02-28-2024, 12:20 PM

Alumacraft make great boats cheaper then Lund and just as nice with better bang for your buck. Ours has carpet in bow and aft casting decks. I agree with the other comments about motors too. Get a 4 stroke if possible or an Evinrude etec 2 stroke. 17.5 long is great as it fits in most garages too, with swing tounge trailer makes even better.

Sent from my SM-S911W using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2024, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
Hey everyone

So we are looking for something along the lines of a 16 to 18 footer. Something that is carpeted where you can walk around on the deck and cast off of etc.

It doesn’t need to be super fancy by any means, but want something decent that will last.

I am not up-to-date on all the models and brands out there so I was hoping to get some ideas from you guys.
Based on these criteria, I'd say a Lund Adventure 1775 would treat you really well. I bought one new in 2022 and it has handled fishing and family adventures alike very well.

For the size of boat you want, ensure you get at least a 115 HP motor - getting up on plane with a family in the boat with less motor would be tough.

General comments:
*Lund will cost more - others have said this. But they have the best hulls, which you appear to value, and they hold their value. A dealer I visited during my search had a used 2012 Lund for sale for the same price the original owner paid for it - shows you both the inflation in boats and the resale potential down the line.

*Princecraft came second for me. They have lower sticker prices for comparable sizes and motors, though the fit and finish isn't what a Lund is.

I didn't look at much else myself. I grew up on "In-Fisherman" so Lund was it for me!

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 02-28-2024, 02:10 PM

The Edmonton boat show is coming up in a couple weeks. If you are considering new or just want to get an idea what you like and don’t like, it allows you to see lots of options in one place.

I run Princecraft and they are all vinyl floors, which makes for easier cleanup in a fishing boat. That, combined with a wash down system makes cleanup much easier than with carpet. If you are set on carpet, I would look for removable carpet so you can pull it out and clean it well when needed.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 02-28-2024, 02:48 PM

Good chance I may be selling my 2014 Alumacraft competitor 185 this spring. Its eactly what you appear to be looking for. Fully carpeted, windshield, 150 merc main, 9.9 merc kicker, terrova electric, 2 scotty electric riggers, eletronics are a little old but still funcitonal with both being humminbirds. One is a 999si at the steering wheel and the other a 859 at the bow. Love the boat but just dont use it. Main motor has under 50 hours and the kicker will to. Would likely be looking at 35ish for it though. I do need to put 3 new batteries in this spring.
Old 02-28-2024, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
Hey everyone

How much do you want to spend? Tiller, Side Steer or full windshield? How many people?

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-28-2024, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
Good chance I may be selling my 2014 Alumacraft competitor 185 this spring. Its eactly what you appear to be looking for. Fully carpeted, windshield, 150 merc main, 9.9 merc kicker, terrova electric, 2 scotty electric riggers, eletronics are a little old but still funcitonal with both being humminbirds. One is a 999si at the steering wheel and the other a 859 at the bow. Love the boat but just dont use it. Main motor has under 50 hours and the kicker will to. Would likely be looking at 35ish for it though. I do need to put 3 new batteries in this spring.
This is exactly what I'll be looking for next year lol. Made some financial commitments already this year otherwise I'd be asking for your info.
My 17.5 fiberglass fish and ski has been a great boat and fiberglass does have some advantages.....but I'm at a point now where a dedicated fishing boat just makes sense for me.
Old 02-28-2024, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
This is exactly what I'll be looking for next year lol. Made some financial commitments already this year otherwise I'd be asking for your info.
My 17.5 fiberglass fish and ski has been a great boat and fiberglass does have some advantages.....but I'm at a point now where a dedicated fishing boat just makes sense for me.
It is definetly a fishing machine but also pulls a tube well. If I was wanting slightly better crossover (more tubing than we do now) with it, I would change props to.
Old 02-28-2024, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
It is definetly a fishing machine but also pulls a tube well. If I was wanting slightly better crossover (more tubing than we do now) with it, I would change props to.
At the time I bought my fiberglass.....any crossover that suited my needs was out of my price range. Now we pretty much are 90% fishing 10% tube rides and my budget isn't as constricted. I'll likely make money on my current boat as well which will help offset the post covid price I'll pay on the new one.
Old 02-28-2024, 08:51 PM

Keep an eye on Walleye Central and similar sites, good deals to be had, but have to move quickly when found.
All flavors offered.
Old 02-29-2024, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofbounds View Post
Keep an eye on Walleye Central and similar sites, good deals to be had, but have to move quickly when found.
All flavors offered.
Only bad part is the exchange right now but there are definetly some canadian boats on there to. Its a great buy/sell page.
Old 02-29-2024, 03:17 PM

Guess I should say it doesnt have to be carpet. Im not familiar with all this new stuff like duradeck etc which id prefer over carpet

Also not looking to pull tubes or anything. Just fishing
Old 02-29-2024, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
How much do you want to spend? Tiller, Side Steer or full windshield? How many people?
3-4 people max

20k max ideally
Old 02-29-2024, 03:57 PM

prices ARE starting to come down a bit, but 20k likely still on the low side. You might be able to find an older 16' Rebel or Fury XL for around that price. Wife and I are constantly looking but man the prices are still just so gross. And the interest rates don't help with the potential of financing. We're probably a couple years out from being able to pull the trigger, I think, based on prices and interest rates...