Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-17-2014, 01:52 PM

Default Glenmore Reservoir Fishing

I went to the Reservoir today, South of the Canoe club seemed to be very shallow. I went North and had no luck using a Len Thompson Yellow/Red Spoon.

Anyone have any idea what lure to use and where to go during this time on the year?
Old 06-17-2014, 01:58 PM

Try the slack water areas along the shore of the Bow. May have to walk to find them, but they are there...

Because of the changing water levels, they may or may not be there from one day to the next. As some disappear because of rising water, others will be created.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 06-17-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee9 View Post
Try the slack water areas along the shore of the Bow. May have to walk to find them, but they are there...

Because of the changing water levels, they may or may not be there from one day to the next. As some disappear because of rising water, others will be created.
any idea on what lure's to use? Have you fished the res lately?
Old 06-17-2014, 02:10 PM

At the res you can throw buzz bombs and i have success on shallow running crankbaits also....i just went for a walk over there and its down to the mud by the sailing club, prep for the high water. It will most likely get pretty nasty in the next day or so and will be like fishing in a big mud hole.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHOOCH View Post
At the res you can throw buzz bombs and i have success on shallow running crankbaits also....i just went for a walk over there and its down to the mud by the sailing club, prep for the high water. It will most likely get pretty nasty in the next day or so and will be like fishing in a big mud hole.
super muddy today, couldn't really get close enough to shore in some cases. Wondering where would be the best to go in this instance of low waters and a lot of mud? Looking to catch something well I have time off this week.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:58 PM

Anyone have pictures of recent catches from the res?
Old 06-17-2014, 04:23 PM
Banned

You'll need some gum boots.

How long did you fish for today?
Old 06-17-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
You'll need some gum boots.

How long did you fish for today?
A solid two and a half hours. A little frustrating. Went north of the canoe club to where that little stream runs out. Saw one fish jump, no bites and no other action.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:04 AM

Looking to go out today, anyone have a good place to go?
Old 08-17-2015, 01:33 PM

Sorry to narco-thread post here, but curious about fishing Glenmore Reservoir. Went to the park there yesterday just to scout it out. Are you allowed to fish off the big grey docks at the rowing club? Is it like Pine Coulee where you could just toss rigs n minnows for pike/walleye/etc?

Or is it better to wander along the shore to the back-waters of the res and toss lures...?

Thanks gang!
Old 08-17-2015, 02:37 PM

no fishing off the docks but you can wander the shore and toss out lures
Old 08-17-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Sorry to narco-thread post here, but curious about fishing Glenmore Reservoir. Went to the park there yesterday just to scout it out. Are you allowed to fish off the big grey docks at the rowing club? Is it like Pine Coulee where you could just toss rigs n minnows for pike/walleye/etc?

Or is it better to wander along the shore to the back-waters of the res and toss lures...?

Thanks gang!
No, you are unfortunately not allowed to fish off the docks . There are no walleye in the reservoir, there is mainly pike, in the 0.5 to 3lb range, and the odd rocky mountain whitefish, burbot and trout thrown in. You cannot fish with minnows, bait is allowed but not baitfish (you can use smelts though, check the regs.) Fishing is generally pretty slow, I might catch one or two small pike every time I go out on, spinners, crankbaits etc. but fairly often i'll also go out and catch nothing. I would walk post the rowing club and fish between it and the small island, or you could also head the other way down to the point and work those stretches.
1 John 4:10
Old 08-17-2015, 02:42 PM

awesome -- thanks for the info! Sounds like basically a dead lake. We'll stick to some of the more active bodies!!
Old 08-17-2015, 08:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchandeat View Post
No, you are unfortunately not allowed to fish off the docks . There are no walleye in the reservoir, there is mainly pike, in the 0.5 to 3lb range, and the odd rocky mountain whitefish, burbot and trout thrown in. You cannot fish with minnows, bait is allowed but not baitfish (you can use smelts though, check the regs.) Fishing is generally pretty slow, I might catch one or two small pike every time I go out on, spinners, crankbaits etc. but fairly often i'll also go out and catch nothing. I would walk post the rowing club and fish between it and the small island, or you could also head the other way down to the point and work those stretches.
I had a pike follow my spoon, and he was far bigger than 3lbs... but yah that may be about the average size.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:08 PM

Was thinking of renting one of their canoes soon to hit the deeper waters near the bridge and dam. I've been there three times since July fishing from shore and there was zero action.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:10 PM

I was actually golfing the little quasi-Par 3 course near there, and saw someone in a motor boat trolling along on the north side of the bridge, which is what made me curious in the first place. Wasnt' sure if there was any worthwhile fishing in there...
Old 08-18-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunter893 View Post
Was thinking of renting one of their canoes soon to hit the deeper waters near the bridge and dam. I've been there three times since July fishing from shore and there was zero action.
It’s a good idea to rent the canoe, we(my son and I) have had our best luck fishing cabbage beds in front of the south boat launch (late June early July) especially the edges where the old river channel runs. There is a floating dock out there and we we stay north of the dock and back to the point .

Out of the yak we have had enough action to make for a fun quick trips, nothing serious or big, but fun enough for 20 minutes from the front door .
Old 08-25-2015, 08:34 PM

Is anybody caught mountain whitefish in Glenmore Reservoir?
I mostly catch Pike and some time Trout and burbot. It is very slow right now and I guess will be good in the fall
Old 08-26-2015, 06:32 AM

fishing should pick up by the end of September
Old 08-30-2015, 08:56 PM

Haven't fished the Glenmore before. I have a little pontoon boat. Would this be any good here? Where would be a good spot to park and launch?
Old 08-30-2015, 09:15 PM

City bylaw. No inflatables in glenmore res.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfricker View Post
Haven't fished the Glenmore before. I have a little pontoon boat. Would this be any good here? Where would be a good spot to park and launch?
Cannot use a pontoon. No inflatables.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
Cannot use a pontoon. No inflatables.
Whoa good to know. Haha. I definitely would not have looked that up before attempting to go there. On that note is there anywhere close to Calgary good for floatables?

My old man bought me this thing for my 30th birthday back in May, and I've been too busy all season to get it in the water. Hoping to go out for a rip at least once before the cold weather hits.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:36 PM

Sibbald Meadows pond - a little small but I have seen float tubes and pontoon boats on there or you could try Sibbald Lake
Old 01-24-2016, 04:50 PM

Caught a 14 inch like last summer by the sailing club.
Normally lots of Trout jump out of the water, but out of casting range.
Still trying though.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:07 AM

Default Why no inflatables???

Does anyone know the issue with inflatables? This chaps my ass! The stories I hear on the smelt fishing and access..... Think they would have bigger things to worry about than an inflatable or an elec motor. If I have to buy a damn kayak I'm gonna be peeved.....I want to call the city out on this. Anyone know anything on what their justification is for no inflatables? If I have to buy a kayak that might be my justification to keep a limit every single outing, so sick of this crap. I'm down with c&r tell the end! But if they're gonna restrict me to a specific type of vessel for some stupid reason ltfo cow town council!

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 02-17-2016, 11:34 PM

It's because in theory the plastic and vinyl in inflatables can be toxic and leach into the drinking water supply, hence why no swimming or motors either.

I'm guessing that Bragg Creek and everyone else that lives upstream of the reservoir is a model of perfect zero waste and nothing ever gets flushed into Elbow River....

That being said, I do understand why no ice fishing though as the water level can vary and leave a big air pocket between the ice and water making it very dangerous.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
That being said, I do understand why no ice fishing though as the water level can vary and leave a big air pocket between the ice and water making it very dangerous.

Not to mention, all the garbage that would be left on the ice, going to the bathroom, and the fact there would be 10,000 people their everyday (might be a bit of a exaggeration but you get my drift)
Old 03-15-2016, 02:41 PM

So, we are planning on heading out to the reservoir this summer. We are planning on buying some kayaks, so we will have access to most parts of the reservoir. Any idea if there is a schedule posted somewhere about the reservoir and it's users. Such as sailors and rowing? It would be good to know when quiet times are to head out there.

What about fishing? We have fly rods and spin casters. We think it would be a great place to try to catch some of those pike!