Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-10-2008, 09:22 PM

Default Letter to Q107.3

Having heard one of the morning show DJ's being quite alarmist about guns this morning caught my attention while on my way into work. I sent this e-mail in to her this evening.

Patti

While listening to your show Tuesday Dec 10th, you were discussing a program in Los Angeles where citizens would trade in their guns ( or hand grenades as noted!! ) for grocery gift cards. One comment you made caught my attention, you noted that it was easier for the people to hand in their guns than to have to get the police out and arrest them all. It put me a bit off, as though to insinuate anyone in posession of a firearm is automatically a felon. Being a licensed firearms owner I couldn't disagree more. I feel you were likely more taking a lighthearted jab at the gangs that LA is infamous for, rather than lawful firearms owners as a whole; but your discussion did strike a chord with me. You noted that you've never even held a gun and are scared of doing so. I recall being very much like that, being scared of touching one as one might be aversive of snakes or spiders for instance; as though the gun might leap out and bite you, or turn you into a bloodthirsty killer. A little familiarity and education does wonders in such instances. I wanted to note this to you, as we firearms owners are constantly being subject to new laws and bureaucratic idiocies that get passed simply due to the fact that many other citizens who aren't familiar with guns have a tendency to fear and even demonize them. These fears tend to get lots of play in the media, and the whole problem snowballs as a result. Instead of blaming the criminals who misuse guns, many prefer to blame the tool they used for their crime. Our problem with this ideology in the firearms community is that a machine is incapable of forming criminal intent (or any intent for that matter). My suggestion to you is to go to The Shooting Edge on Blackfoot trail for a range day ( or evening) with a few people from the office. The staff there can provide you with safety instructions and supervision and you'll all surely have a good time. I'd invite you there myself, but lately my time and finances are quite limited and I have let my membership lapse as a result. I would recommend you call and talk to Cori during the day, she can alleviate any apprehensiveness you may have. I hope you find my suggestion intriguing enough to give it a go, or perhaps to pass it along to Derek or Terry.

Sincerely, Stuart R
Old 12-10-2008, 09:36 PM

Thumbs up Well Done!

Very well written Stuart (I'm guessing your original version had more than one paragraph ).

I wonder if she will follow up with your suggestion ... it would be interesting to find out.