Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-04-2020, 12:17 PM
Banned

Default What’s the best boat for Alberta?

I’ve been thinking of getting a new boat. I really like the Lund pro sport 1700 I’ve got, just think something a bit bigger and maybe something I could throw in the river as well would be nice.

I’d like something around 20’ long with live wells, open bow, walk through windshield, full canopy, swim deck on the back and good rod lockers. I think outboard with a jet leg would be the way to go but I’ve really got no experience with jet motors.

What’s your ideal boat for fishing/playing Alberta waters? Any suggestions on what would be a good option to look at?
Old 08-04-2020, 12:23 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Question

I always say its better to have a buddy with a boat...costs you less in the long run with a lot less headaches.

perhaps;

2020 Alumaweld
Adventurer 20 ft.

https://www.alumaweldboats.com/Adventurer20.htm

sorry got carried away....you want something a bit more family friendly....to cover what your asking not sure if you will find it....

hmmmm https://www.princecraft.com/ca/en/pr...eck-Boats.aspx

good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...

Last edited by 58thecat; 08-04-2020 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:26 PM
Banned

That alumaweld is a nice but we take our pro sport out to the Shuswap and camp right in our boat, having the full canopy enclosure is a deal maker for us.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:42 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

https://www.loweboats.com/sport-deck-boat/

now you got me interested....

you can snooze on this one....

SD224
Versatility is the name of the game with the Lowe Sport Deck 224. Anglers will find everything they need for a successful day of fishing, while watersports fans will enjoy thrilling performance and handling. With the comfort and spaciousness of a pontoon and the agility of a sport boat, the SD 224 is perfect for all watersports—get the best of both worlds!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-04-2020, 12:45 PM

You should have bought the 19" Warrior Deep V I just sold. Warriors are awesome boats, well worth a look.

https://warriorboatsinc.com/
Old 08-04-2020, 01:20 PM

18' is all you need.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:54 PM

Kurt you stated you think a jet leg is the way to go, do you fish or run a lot of rivers? if not, the increased cost of running, and loss of performance would make a jet less advantageous.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:54 PM

I think you need to decide how much you would really use the rig on the rivers. Jet legs are often a compromise and their performance on a lake isn't what an outboard is, and on a river it isn't what a true jet boat is. It's kind of like a dual sport motorcycle. Not great at either, but a compromise that allows you to do a bit of both.

I've always thought that a guy needs a few boats because one won't cover all situations. Jet boat for the rivers, big aluminum fishing boat for the lakes, small fishing boats for remote locations/reduced hp lakes, and a ski boat for taking the kids tubing and wake surfing. In real life we all assess what we will use it for the most and make the rest a compromise.

If you decide to go with a bigger fishing boat, shoot me a message and I can help you out.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 08-04-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You should have bought the 19" Warrior Deep V I just sold. Warriors are awesome boats, well worth a look.

https://warriorboatsinc.com/
Nice boat with a 200 tiller on would be my pick

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2020, 04:16 PM

For Alberta lakes (mostly) you really don't need much. They're not that big and not that deep, compared to, say, Canadian Shield lakes or Lake Winnipeg or something crazy like that.

We get around pretty good in our Lund Rebel 1400 with a 25hp Evinrude. That said, the wife and I are thinking of selling the 14 to move up to a 16 or 17' because we want to fish the big lakes in Manitoba more often.

We love the Voyageur 175 from Alumacraft, but there aren't many around. For me, personally, it's Lund or Alumacraft or nothin'. I would never again go smaller than 165 with a 40hp.

Hoping to eventually find a pre-owned Lund or Alumacraft, 2010 or newer, with newer sonar and Minn Kota Ulterra that we can upgrade to.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:50 PM

I don’t believe that one boat can do it all and that a guy should have a few of them to cover the different types of fishing that he enjoys.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:25 PM
Banned

I was thinking a boat like this could be used in a few different lakes/rivers if you had the right motor on the back maybe?

Anyone here running something like this?

Old 08-04-2020, 08:40 PM

Kurt I'm running the Harbercraft 2275 but mine has the Kodiak in a 383 Stroker with a 15 HP kicker. LOVE it. Bought used off a fine elderly gent who was retiring from boating. Lots of lake use to get to know it, trying more rivers now.

Glad we didn't go smaller, really enjoy the extra room. Like the canvas top, might prefer 1/2 hardtop if we did it again.

Be a big machine to fish a small river with, Capstan might be your friend. Lol.

We're going to make the Kinuseo Falls run with it next summer,looking forward to it.

The 12' bottom makes it a bit more work to steer when trolling, at speed more throttle makes it very responsive.

The jet outboard gives more room in the boat, but really the inboard motor housing makes a decent table for lunch or tackle boxes or Mama for some sun when she isn't trying to out-fish me.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Kurt I'm running the Harbercraft 2275 but mine has the Kodiak in a 383 Stroker with a 15 HP kicker. LOVE it. Bought used off a fine elderly gent who was retiring from boating. Lots of lake use to get to know it, trying more rivers now.

Glad we didn't go smaller, really enjoy the extra room. Like the canvas top, might prefer 1/2 hardtop if we did it again.

Be a big machine to fish a small river with, Capstan might be your friend. Lol.

We're going to make the Kinuseo Falls run with it next summer,looking forward to it.

The 12' bottom makes it a bit more work to steer when trolling, at speed more throttle makes it very responsive.

The jet outboard gives more room in the boat, but really the inboard motor housing makes a decent table for lunch or tackle boxes or Mama for some sun when she isn't trying to out-fish me.

That sounds like the ticket. What degree hull are you running on there?
Old 08-04-2020, 09:13 PM

It's actually 12 degree rise, the bottom is 8 feet I believe. There's room to sleep on the floor on mine, a few we looked at when shopping had the bench seats that make into a bed. Plenty of room for a couple coolers & coffee on the Coleman stove on the bow at sunrise, then go catch fish!
Old 08-04-2020, 09:51 PM

Agree with Sam Steele. You need more than one. I like a nice decked out 12 ft with some h.p behind it for remote lakes and slap an electric on her or row around for trouts in same rig. I got a nice 16ft with the electronics and a kicker and pedestal seats and 70 horse for bigger water and serious fishing and a big ol fiberglass inboard tank for real big water and for cruising and pulling a skier but still fish out of it in comfort for the night bite with the folks aboard. I dont use my big boat much but sure did when the kids were young. They all served a purpose.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:10 PM
Banned

My 17ft Lund pro sport With a 115hp Johnson motors along fine on the lakes, I can pull the kids around on the tubes, has a bow mounted ipilot for trolling and with the full canopy and foam mattress we can camp with it. It’s small enough to use on most lakes and big enough to get on any lake in Alberta under pretty much any condition you’d want to fish in. Still I’d like a bit more room in the boat, with the wife and I, our two boys, our mastiff and all our gear, it seems a little cramped, and with the boys the size they are now a camping trip would be out of the question without a tent on the side. An extra 3 feet long and maybe 6-10” wider would make a big difference inside, but after having the canopy for either a sun blocker, rain shield or to turn the boat into a floating tent I don’t think I’d want a boat without it.

That 22’ boat that roper has sure seems like the cats meow.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:24 AM

Kurt, go see my guys at Outlaw Eagle and talk to them about a build. You can customize it to your specs.
Old 08-05-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I was thinking a boat like this could be used in a few different lakes/rivers if you had the right motor on the back maybe?

Anyone here running something like this?

My in law has one but with an inboard 200 sport jet. Rough ride on the lake on windy days. I've been using it this summer pulling my son around on the wake board. Been using it for fishing as well.

Couple for sale.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-mo...oat/1515428234

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-mo...low/1515287249

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-mo...oat/1515964300
Old 08-05-2020, 04:47 PM

Running rivers is great. Scenery always changes with every corner of the river. Gives you a sense that you are exploring. Big fish in the rivers. Got a 32” eye yesterday as a matter a fact.
Jet also allows you to hunt the rivers. Beautiful in the fall. Love seeing moose, bear, and elk along the river.
Definitely get a jet.
Old 08-05-2020, 11:14 PM

Default Lake boats

Depends if you frequent large lakes or smaller ones. You need a boat with sufficient deadrise to handle the big afternoon chop. You can always buy a boat which will "pound" and leave your false teeth on the floor. You need a good curl on the bow and the V continuing into the deadrise with strakes. The reason for deadrise 20+ degrees is that when you hit the first wave you have to "cut" the second one or the boat will pound. Rather than building boats with enough deadrise to accomplish this many manufacturers add air ride seats which is the cheaper design option. A well designed hull with enough deadrise to cut the wave does not need air ride seats. I currently run a 18 1/2 foot glass boat with a 23 degree deadrise. It has enough weight to produce a beautiful smooth ride in rough water.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:55 AM

If I was running the rivers I would certainly look at a harbercraft. I built them about 20 years ago in sylvan lake and they’re certainly great boats. I personally wouldn’t want it as my only boat if I spent much time on decent sized lakes as that’s not what they’re designed for.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:14 AM

You will hate that 8-12 degree deadrise and that loud 200 sport jet. If your used to fishing in that cadillac Lund pro-V.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:40 AM

Based on all my years fishing here 2 or 3 boats in a perfect world. The 16 foot plus for the larger lakes, the jet boat to do of the rivers, and a tinner for many of the smaller reservoirs. Down south I hardly get my 16 foter out of the driveway any longer and find some of the smaller reservoirs we could use a tinner better than anything. Hard to launch in many places in the south and being more portable is better in some cases. Am thinking changing to a tinner myself since my larger boat hardly gets out any more. Look at your fishing style and go from there.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:12 PM

Jetboat is a no brainer. 22 foot North River Commander with a 383 stroker and and hami !!!! Once you go to that their aint never going back !!!!!
Old 08-06-2020, 02:24 PM

https://www.rockfishboats.com/
Old 08-06-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Ya a 14’ center console lol. Might as well suggest a zodiac...
Old 08-06-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Cool but I wouldn't take that 12" transom anywhere near a lake with more than a ripple on it - you would be swimming.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:02 PM

I agree with many posters here, think hard about deadrise. Test drive, and know your application.

I'm running 18 degrees on a 20 foot boat, and would never consider anything less for a light aluminum hull.

Progressive deadrise is also nice.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk