Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-29-2017, 01:36 PM
Banned

Default Dashcam footage discussion...

Had an interesting discussion the other night about dashcam footage and it's not so easy to find cut and dry answers. Yeah, I know, Canada law seems to be all grey. I've never recorded an accident - that I'm aware of anyway. Just lots of boneheaded moves on behalf of drivers - but I don't store it, it overwrites.

Last year, the ex's cam recorded an accident, clear fault was shown. She stopped, told the driver that wasn't at fault she had footage and would turn it over. The fellow at fault contested it - and she had to go to court as a witness. Don't know how it ended.

Would you voluntarily offer up your SD card - and possibly hours of footage -to police on the spot?
Would you be compelled to turn it over - or say "get a warrant".
Do you have the means to transfer dashcam video - just those moments in time - to give to police or other?
If you're in another province, record an accident - would you chance having to go back to be a witness?
Do you record constant audio on your dashcam?

Brings up some interesting questions...
Old 04-29-2017, 03:12 PM

Run a dashcam to protect myself in case of an accident. GPS speed and location, date/time stamp on the video and records audio.

It's cheap insurance as police will accept the video as evidence and it will work as an impartial record of events in case of an accident.

Unless I caught an accident on video or something serious like drunk driving or driving the wrong way in traffic, I wouldn't hand over video to the police.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Wow . How is recording with a dashcam for your own protection being an SJW? SJW's tend to hate the truth due to their frequent misinterpretation / utter violation of it. The only reason I could think of for someone to not like dashcam footage is if they were a horrific driver repeatedly getting caught in the act and fined/ licence suspended, etc. If you have other reasons please enlighten us all.
... or mentally ill - extremely paranoid and more.

It must be a real bitch getting up the courage to leave the house with all those electronic devices nowadays - wait a minute my computer is spying on me.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Wow . How is recording with a dashcam for your own protection being an SJW? SJW's tend to hate the truth due to their frequent misinterpretation / utter violation of it. The only reason I could think of for someone to not like dashcam footage is if they were a horrific driver repeatedly getting caught in the act and fined/ licence suspended, etc. If you have other reasons please enlighten us all.
Extremely well put.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:04 PM

What is an SJW?

I do run a dashcam and been thinking about getting another to point backwards for all of our tailgaters in case of a crash
Old 04-29-2017, 04:58 PM

If it was me I would turn over the sd card. Might cost me a little bit but if I was in that person's shoes it sure would be appreciated.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAT POSSUM View Post
What is an SJW?
Well it used to be and abbreviation for the fly the San Juan Worm, but all these snowflakes have taken the abbreviation over now for Social Justice Warrior.

I run a dash cam in my work truck, I haven't used it yet as I've been lucky but they have saved the bacon for several of my colleagues.

If I witness an accident I tend to pull over to assist those in need. As in those times I would offer my statement to the authorities. If they required the video I would not offer up my memory card but would provide them with file, via email, USB drive, another card or what have you. I wouldn't offer up my card because I use it daily.

Yes
No, video should be better than anything I can say on the stand.
No, my dashcam just does sound, I think.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Take 2 people who enjoy rolling around in peanut butter naked on the living room floor with their significant others. Pretty messed up but not illegal. Now, person 1 has a Facebook account and posts such things with pride. Person 2 is equally deranged but he/she is nowhere to be found on social media and keeps it to themselves.

Who is more likely to be employable this day and age when employers look at social media accounts?

You don't want to risk having to hand over dashcam footage, (that was part of OP's original question, right?) then don't have a dashcam.

You cannot lose if you don't play. I know most of you can't relate to that, and that's ok.

And how is it being a SJW? Calling out "bad" drivers on Youtube when everybody makes mistakes on the road at some point or another.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:23 PM

Running the dashcam for myself... Recent point in usefulness - buddys wife got tboned on the x-section. Other driver claimed she ran red light. Her insurance really tried to pin ot on her, or do 50/50. He uploaded the video clearly showing greenlight for her, and the attempted evasive maneuver. And it was enough to shut nay-sayers...
Also, you never know when we have another meteor blast through the sky...

As far as the questions... I probably wouldve stopped and just handed over the information to the victim. Chances are you wouldnt even get called in as the witness. Theres no way in hell I'd offer the SD card to police, especially with the hours of footage. Why would i potentially incriminate myself?
I probably would give the pertinent recordings to the victim if asked. And my camera has means of uploading segments over the built-in wi-fi.
And i don't have sound enabled, ain't nobody business what i do and say inside.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot1 View Post

You don't want to risk having to hand over dashcam footage, (that was part of OP's original question, right?) then don't have a dashcam.
I have dash cam for myself. If the police needs to get the warrant to access security footage from the store cameras and such, is be happy to hand over my memory chip to the full extent of the judges warrant for my videos. But unlike business i an but obligated to keep the recordings so if it gets overwritten...
Old 04-29-2017, 05:58 PM

No intent to stir the pot here. Just an honest question ...

Given that a lot of amature camera 'evidence' is disallowed in court (because it's too easy to alter), is dashcam footage admissible in court?
Old 04-29-2017, 06:08 PM

Every police officer has a cell phone. Play the video on your own cell and let him record it on his. Or give it to the witness that way.
Why not help if able?
Old 04-29-2017, 09:31 PM

Well the way I understand it, from the point of a cell phone at least, if the video is on your cell phone, the crown prosecutor needs to take your cell phone for evidence. It has to due with the "chain of custody" thing. You cant just make a copy, they have to take it off the phone themselves. Hence you have to give up your phone for....almost ever! Well till the end of the trial, whenever that is. I'd assume youd have to give the whole dashcam straight to the police as well.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:12 PM
Banned

Not everyone has the tech in their vehicle to play back or upload videos. I can plug the SD card into my samsung, but not so with the iphones and not everyone has the attachment.

I'm just curious to see how others would deal with the scenario.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarms11 View Post
Well the way I understand it, from the point of a cell phone at least, if the video is on your cell phone, the crown prosecutor needs to take your cell phone for evidence. It has to due with the "chain of custody" thing. You cant just make a copy, they have to take it off the phone themselves. Hence you have to give up your phone for....almost ever! Well till the end of the trial, whenever that is. I'd assume youd have to give the whole dashcam straight to the police as well.
The case that I'm aware of involved the police getting a copy of the video from the dashcam and using that to support their charges. Dashcam stayed with the witness.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
The case that I'm aware of involved the police getting a copy of the video from the dashcam and using that to support their charges. Dashcam stayed with the witness.
This was just info I was told by a lawyer. i'm sure there are different circumstances for different scenerio's. My only question is did you follow through with the charges/ prosecution? If not, its very possible the cops gathered the info but the prosecutor was unable to use it. But like I said that was just what I was told.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarms11 View Post
This was just info I was told by a lawyer. i'm sure there are different circumstances for different scenerio's. My only question is did you follow through with the charges/ prosecution? If not, its very possible the cops gathered the info but the prosecutor was unable to use it. But like I said that was just what I was told.
Charges were laid and they got a conviction.

Not sure if they actually took the footage to court or just threatened them with the video and got a guilty plea.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:36 AM

[QUOTE=Jayhad;3528951]Well it used to be and abbreviation for the fly the San Juan Worm, but all these snowflakes have taken the abbreviation over now for Social Justice Warrior.

Thanks Jayhad
Old 04-30-2017, 10:52 AM

Unhappy No answer, or even a response !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
No intent to stir the pot here. Just an honest question ...

Given that a lot of amature camera 'evidence' is disallowed in court (because it's too easy to alter), is dashcam footage admissible in court?
I guess I'll have to ask a lawyer. I'll probably get a better answer there, anyway.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
Run a dashcam to protect myself in case of an accident. GPS speed and location, date/time stamp on the video and records audio.

It's cheap insurance as police will accept the video as evidence and it will work as an impartial record of events in case of an accident.

Unless I caught an accident on video or something serious like drunk driving or driving the wrong way in traffic, I wouldn't hand over video to the police.
I put one in the truck.
My reasoning is that it will speak for me when and if I can't speak for myself.
For those that know me I do my best to do things right when no one is looking, part of my definition of integrity. Made me even more aware of what I'm doing behind the wheel.
That being said I do make mistakes, I'm not perfect.
Often makes me wonder how decisions of why some accidents occur would change if there was dash cam footage.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I guess I'll have to ask a lawyer. I'll probably get a better answer there, anyway.
Any photo or video can be submitted as evidence.
If witness statements match the evidence, the photo or video will support the case.
If two videos match the story the case is that much stronger again.
Just because a digital image is easy the alter does not automatically dismiss it.
Each piece of evidence is evaluated for what is is.
An old myth from ground disturbance courses was to only take film photos because digital is not allowed in court.
Totally false and now a days who carries a camera that takes film?
Old 04-30-2017, 01:20 PM
Banned

I would offer the footage if it was needed,
But I would take my SD card home to my computer,
Edit the part with the proper info,
Store it on a disk,
And give it too whomever had asked for it.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:16 PM
Suspended User

I just​ get the officers card and mail in a cd, with the incident and a few extra minutes before it happens. Add a well written stat and done, typically. Plus keep your own copy in case you have to review the incident.
Get a camera​that has GPS incase your speed comes into question.
I personally love rolling down the window, and tell drivers I have their behaviour on camera. Then I decide from their reactions, if I'm sending in a disc to the cops.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Do they use police dash cam video in court? Why wouldn't it be.