Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-27-2017, 07:00 AM

Default Fishing near Jasper

I'm heading to Jasper next week for a few days with my wife and her cousin. I know that fishing is closed within the park right now but how are the lakes in AB or BC (I have both licenses)? Would there still be safe ice to fish? I read about Moose Lake in BC so would consider that one if it is worth it. Would prefer to stay within a 1 hour driver of Jasper. My wife's cousin has never fished before so would like best chance of catching some, she will get a license of course. Thanks for any advice.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:26 AM

Default Free SURELEVE

You will need a park license to fish in Jasper. Talk to guys at online sports in Jasper and they will point you in the right direction
Old 04-27-2017, 05:24 PM

I was planning to drive either East or West of Jasper and find a lake in BC or AB outside the park. Moose Lake would be in Robson so would be open it looks. Hoping to find out if I need to bring ice gear or other.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:06 PM

Moose still has ice...was out there a few weeks ago and it was getting pretty punky then.
Mind you with the weather we've been having the ice might be better now
Old 04-29-2017, 01:29 AM

Early season on the Athabasca river outside of Jasper park towards Hinton produces some big bulls and whitefish. Not sure of the conditions or specific locations. Rapalas or spoons for the bulls and bottom bounced white flies for the whitefish. Opened for fishing too.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-29-2017, 08:50 AM

Moose lake ice would not be safe. We drove by it last weekend.

Your only hope for open water is that in these couple weeks the ice has thawed, lakes on AB side have thawed or else fish the Athabasca(open year round even in park).