Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-29-2017, 12:14 PM

Default New hunter

Hi everyone ive been wanting to get into hunting for quite some time now. I am a meat cutter by trade and want to source my own meat for my family. My father didnt hunt and wasnt into guns so i never learned any of the skills most of you picked up in childhood. I did grow up on farms and acreages so im no stranger to the woods but i know i have much still to learn.

So I am writing now to ask if any seasoned veterens would have some wisdom to share with a rookie. Starting with what would be a good setup for deer/elk and what i should get for bear/moose and fowl. I dont exactly have a large budget but would be getting them over time starting with the deer/elk. What should i know? Where can i find resorces to aid me outside of here? Ive been googleing around a bit but ive never been very good at it mostly i find this forum and it has great info and discord on all kinds of topics i love it.

Any and all tips advice and help is greatly apreciated thank you.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2017, 12:28 PM

Check out the Guns and Ammo threads for your rifle selection. There's usually 1 to 4 threads per month started up discussing best rifles and the characteristics of what cartridges are better for certain styles of hunting and game.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:39 PM

Welcome to the team!

You're asking a really broad question, but I'll try to give a focussed answer.

If you have clothing for the outdoors that isn't bright blue (deer see that the way sorta like we see blaze orange) and keeps you warm and dry enough, then you have all you need.

Spend a couple hundred bucks on some decent 8x42 or 10x42 binos and a harness. You should be using them a LOT.

Now the controversial part: if I had to limit my guns to what I actually need (shudder!) here's what I'd get:

1. Bolt action .22 with a scope - cheap practice. And you should practice lots. ($500-$1000 for the gun, $6 for 100rds)
2. Bolt action with a decent scope (2.5-8x or 3-9x) with a simple reticle. Get it in a common caliber. A 7-08, .270win or 30-06 or even a 7mm RemMag are all easy to find shells for and will kill any big game you want in the province. $700-$1000 for everything. $30 for a box of 20 rounds.
3. 12ga pump or semi auto with a 3"
Chamber, 28"barrel and screw in chokes. Don't get some little stubby barrelled thing - they're toys and not meant to swing nicely on birds. Its not my usual shotgun, but I still hunt with a pump gun my grandfather bought in the '30's. They last forever if you get decent quality and take care of them.

Good luck - hunting is much simpler than many people let on, but like anything you can get into no end of detail if that's your thing. Once you own the basics the best thing to spend money on is gas and ammo.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:00 PM

Welcome to the hunting world. I suggest finding a good book to help you learn the basics on hunting techniques, and animal identification, habitat and what not! I have been reading through (The complete guide to hunting, Butchering, and cooking wild game by Steven Rinella). There are two volumes. One is for big game and the other for small game. These books go over general hunting techniques and equipment. They are a good start for someone looking to gain some general knowledge.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:34 PM

Once you've found a big game rifle that you have setup to your liking, go out and shoot!!! Build the muscle memory of getting setup in different situations. Practice standing shots, kneeling shot and prone. Remember to control your breathing while practicing so that when the time comes that you have an animal in your sights, it should be second nature. For proper shooting techniques, there's a tone of resources available on YouTube. Another thing to practice is dry firing your rifle. You'll get a better feel as to where the sweet spot is.

The other thing is to get out and look for sign. This is the best time of year to be talking to landowners about permission for the upcoming season. Chance are you may be able to find a decent spot for a trail camera that'll give you a better idea as to what animals are passing through the area. You can pick up a couple for a reasonable price.

Enjoy your time out in the bush. Don't worry so much about results as you do having fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2017, 02:58 PM

I was in your spot several years ago - I'd say read as much as you can about the firearm laws and the hunting regs. Get really familiar with them. After that, seek out all the advice and mentorship you can find but don't be afraid to give it a go yourself. Take baby steps. You're comfortable in the woods so that's a big start many new hunters likely lack.

Don't be afraid to knock on doors for permission - I've had great success in approaching land owners despite the stories you hear about it being a challenge.

With your work you'd likely be good at handling a critter after the shot but I'd also make sure to always plan for success - make sure you have the gear you need to get the critter processed etc.

My last bit of advice would probably be to avoid getting overly caught up in all the discussions about gear. If its legal and the research you do leads you to believe it will be effective and you like it, go for it. At the same time, buy the best you can afford - I've been burnt buying garbage that doesn't last or doesn't perform (rifle/bow/scope/glass/boots/pack) and it would have been cheaper to have saved extra money and bought better stuff off the hop.

Also, stay away from bow hunting - it's a dark obsession that will quickly take over your every waking moment

Best of luck.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:11 PM

Welcome to the addiction, buy a bow and open doors, knock on doors and get out there.
If you need any advice and think I can assist in any way PM me and I will do my best.

Dont look at it like meat hunting, that is just the icing on the cake. It really is all about the chase.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:19 PM

Smile

Hi!

I'm also a new hunter and don't know anyone to hunt with. I recently completed the hunter's ed in Alberta and going for my PAL in the next couple of weeks. Carpenter by trade so I know how to build. Are you looking for someone to hunt with? I live near Airdrie, send me a msg if interested. We can figure it out together!
Old 04-29-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobucks View Post
Welcome to the team!

You're asking a really broad question, but I'll try to give a focussed answer.

If you have clothing for the outdoors that isn't bright blue (deer see that the way sorta like we see blaze orange) and keeps you warm and dry enough, then you have all you need.

Spend a couple hundred bucks on some decent 8x42 or 10x42 binos and a harness. You should be using them a LOT.

Now the controversial part: if I had to limit my guns to what I actually need (shudder!) here's what I'd get:

1. Bolt action .22 with a scope - cheap practice. And you should practice lots. ($500-$1000 for the gun, $6 for 100rds)
2. Bolt action with a decent scope (2.5-8x or 3-9x) with a simple reticle. Get it in a common caliber. A 7-08, .270win or 30-06 or even a 7mm RemMag are all easy to find shells for and will kill any big game you want in the province. $700-$1000 for everything. $30 for a box of 20 rounds.
3. 12ga pump or semi auto with a 3"
Chamber, 28"barrel and screw in chokes. Don't get some little stubby barrelled thing - they're toys and not meant to swing nicely on birds. Its not my usual shotgun, but I still hunt with a pump gun my grandfather bought in the '30's. They last forever if you get decent quality and take care of them.

Good luck - hunting is much simpler than many people let on, but like anything you can get into no end of detail if that's your thing. Once you own the basics the best thing to spend money on is gas and ammo.
X2
Get a 22 and shoot it lots. I would say get a bolt its better for training. Another post stated to not buy junk. Also good advice. But quality gear doesn't mean most expensive. You can get a solid used rifle south of 500, and you wont lose a penny if you want to try something new. cal between 6.5 and 30 cal should work. Don't get talked in to a magnum. Decent used glass for 2-250. You don't need a closed full of camo either, I go very low tek with my clothing for day trips anyways. Get wool at thrift shops. Where are you hunting?
Brad
Old 04-30-2017, 02:24 AM

Thanks everyone for all the tips and advice theres already a wealth of info here i really apreciate it. Im in bowden and hoping to hunt nearby but not unwilling to travel. By the sounds of it ill be in the market for a reasonable 22 very shortly here. Any prefered one for over all quality or just one thats comfortable?

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2017, 06:51 AM

Start with the hunters ed course, there a whole lot of good stuff in there.

And the first reply is really good info, it's basically what I did when I started into it a few years back. Got myself a .30-06, 12g and a .22. Haven't had much opportunity to use the 12g but I also bow hunt so that gives a lot of extra time out in the field, time that primarily ends up being a scouting trip as I have yet to harvest any big game with my bow.
Don't get caught up in the "this vs that" debate when talking about calibers and makes of guns. Most of them (the realistic calibers) will kill anything just as dead. Find something that fits you well and is comfortable to shoot. I'm shooting a lower model savage in .30-06 and all of my deer have been one shot, dead within a minute. Spend a bit of extra money on a scope/ binos cuz if you can't see it you can't shoot it.
Good luck! It's addicting.

Schian
Old 04-30-2017, 08:43 AM

First off. All you new guys need to say where you are from. Then there's a hope in hell someone close to you will offer their support.

Secondly, go get your PAL and Hunters ed, then you'll be in a situation where you are ready and willing, but just need a mentor.

Thirdly be prepared to spend some coin, the pursuit/obsession which is hunting requires some up front lay out of cash. Think at least $1500 to do courses, buy optics, boots, ammunition, suitable clothing, and other must haves.

Most guys who mentor will for at least a trip or two supply you with a rifle, but after that you'll be expected to go buy your own.

Also you'll need to build your sweat equity account up. Being the guy offering to drive, finding and spotting locations, drumming up permission, and what ever else may be a bit unsavoury.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-30-2017, 10:17 AM

If your on a budget, get yourself a 303 Enfield\British, a couple of boxes of ammo, if your eyesight is kinda bad, put a scope on it. Make up some targets, go target shooting, if you can find a safe place to do this. You certainly don't have to spend 1000's of dollars. A 303 will kill anything your going to be hunting and a lot of us hunter's started out with this caliber, and some guys are still hunting with it.
Do lots of target shooting, get used to the rifle, the recoil. Talk to hunter's, don't be afraid to ask questions on this forum and in person.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:45 AM

I agree with Red, largest moose ever shot in North America was taken 2 years ago in Yukon with good old 303 British.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:13 AM

I don't feel suggesting to a newbie that a $150 tomatoe stake(303 British all bubba'd up), complete with questionable headspace, bore diameter and condition is any sort of a good starting point.
Scoping these rifles is an aboration that has inflicted more bad habits on shooters with the excessive scope mounting height and ensuing chin weld.

In no way am I dismissing the venerable .303 British, but let's face it most of what comes up for sale these days are better used for holding up plants, and the like.

Spend a whopping $100 more and get a Savage Axis or a used 11/111 package In .308 or .270 and move on. Something you can grow with, something that will lend its self to beginner reloading practices, something that will develop good shooting habits, not disasters.

Heck if a beginner would ask, I'd loan him a rifle after meeting him, for his first season, provided he passed the prerequisite interview and Q&A. And it wouldn't be a bubba'd .303 either.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-30-2017, 05:46 PM

Hi Felix, welcome. There is a thread at the top of this subforum dedicated to looking for a hunting partner. Connecting to someone with experience can save a bunch of mistakes and frustration. Most of us who have hunted for years have extra equipment that gives you the opportunity to try different things before buying. A decent partner can help with this and give hunting tips. You have something to give in return, meat cutting skills and advice.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:46 PM

Congrats on a new chapter in your life. Hunting can make you appreciate so much about the wilderness you may have over looked. I am very far from the most experienced hunter on this forum, but feel free to PM me with any questions.

Ps thank you for not making your first post, asking for exact locations on where to find game. Not even hunting yet, and you have already improved your odds of getting help on this forum greatly!
Old 04-30-2017, 06:49 PM

Also, the show Meat Eater has lots of information amd can give you a general feel of various hunts. From grouse to moose. Check it out!
Old 04-30-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I don't feel suggesting to a newbie that a $150 tomatoe stake(303 British all bubba'd up), complete with questionable headspace, bore diameter and condition is any sort of a good starting point.
Scoping these rifles is an aboration that has inflicted more bad habits on shooters with the excessive scope mounting height and ensuing chin weld.

In no way am I dismissing the venerable .303 British, but let's face it most of what comes up for sale these days are better used for holding up plants, and the like.

Spend a whopping $100 more and get a Savage Axis or a used 11/111 package In .308 or .270 and move on. Something you can grow with, something that will lend its self to beginner reloading practices, something that will develop good shooting habits, not disasters.

Heck if a beginner would ask, I'd loan him a rifle after meeting him, for his first season, provided he passed the prerequisite interview and Q&A. And it wouldn't be a bubba'd .303 either.
Sounds like you have had bad experiences with the .303. If you manage to find a good one I would not be afraid to put a scope on it. There are some good scope mount conversions on the market for the enfield.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
Sounds like you have had bad experiences with the .303. If you manage to find a good one I would not be afraid to put a scope on it. There are some good scope mount conversions on the market for the enfield.
There isn't a single solitary scope mount for a Lee Enfield that works with the as issued stock. As issued stocks, all promote chin weld, with a scope.

I've never had a single problem with any of the 1/2 dozen or so Lee Enfields I've owned over the years, heck I currently own 2. One is an all up full wood #4 mk1*, the other is a bubba special but has a stock with a Monte Carlo butt stock. The odds of getting a good one are pretty slim, guys aren't coughing up any shooters, what's coming up for sale lately are glorified parts guns. That's why I won't reccomend one to a newbie.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-30-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
There isn't a single solitary scope mount for a Lee Enfield that works with the as issued stock. As issued stocks, all promote chin weld, with a scope.

I've never had a single problem with any of the 1/2 dozen or so Lee Enfields I've owned over the years, heck I currently own 2. One is an all up full wood #4 mk1*, the other is a bubba special but has a stock with a Monte Carlo butt stock. The odds of getting a good one are pretty slim, guys aren't coughing up any shooters, what's coming up for sale lately are glorified parts guns. That's why I won't reccomend one to a newbie.
Ah. That must be why I like mine as a have the Monte Carlo stock as well. It works well for me. But your right, I wouldn't sell it as it's a "shooter" in my eyes. Needle in the hay stack I guess
Old 05-02-2017, 09:05 AM

Pick up this book. Most comprehensive and detailed guide available. Everything from basic equipment, survival gear to animal habitat, behavior and hunting strategies. https://www.amazon.ca/Complete-Guide...king+wild+game
Old 05-02-2017, 10:20 AM

I'm kind of surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, but read the regs, and then read them again.

I started hunting 5 years ago... I didn't shoot an animal for my first four years. Each year, I wouldn't dedicate scouting time, and then I'd go out to the bush, wander around, maybe see a deer running away from me at 5-600 yards, and then that'd be my day...

Last year, I scouted weekly, put out cams, patterned animals, set up stands, and on my fifth day hunting, I arrowed my first deer at 19 yards.

As said, beware of archery... it is an obsession and will consume you completely... but man oh man is it fun!

Welcome to the wild (and wildly expensive) world of hunting. I try to do what I can on a budget, so if you have any questions of what an amateur guy uses, feel free to pm and I'll tell you what I know. This forum is a wealth of knowledge, so listen and ask questions. DO NOT get sucked into the negativity that can sometimes consume people.

Again, read the regs... Chances are if you ask a regulation related question, you will be referred to the book. People are very willing to help, but not so much when you're asking where to hunt

Enjoy, and good luck!

Jeff
Old 05-02-2017, 11:00 AM

a couple things to not do
never trust a fart
and never go out in the bush without a roll of TP
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 05-02-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_wiesel View Post
a couple things to not do
never trust a fart
and never go out in the bush without a roll of TP
That is some sound advice right there.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:53 PM

Dont outshoot your comfort zone. Especially important to remember when you are faced with an animal thats beyond it.

I know a guy who likes to brag that hes never shot beyond 100 yards. And kills dear every year.
That may be the extreme, but there is something to be said for it. Look at bowhunting.

As for the Lee Enfield, I've killed 2 deer with mine. With an aftermarket stock and cheap scope. That I bought for $275.
Both shot under 100 yards, one shot.
I was told that 303's tumble bullets and that its basically unethical to hunt with one.
Keep in mind that they were made for many years. Lots werent ever used, just stockpiled. I've seen really ancient ones all beat up and ones like mine that are in fantastic shape. So you really can't discount the whole line as being a bad choice for a new hunter on a budget.

If you're a podcast listener, there are lots of great ones out there. Meat Eater, Randy Newberg, Jay Scott, Rookie Hunter, and Highlander Hunting Podcast (Which is mine, so shameless plug)

Get out and try things, you'll make every mistake everyone else has made. Enjoy yourself.