Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-13-2020, 08:36 PM

Default Hoyt Carbon Defiant Turbo vs Hoyt RX4 Carbon Ultra

I own a Hoyt Carbon Defiant Turbo. I find it a little "jumpy". Does the "jumpy" feeling come from the brace height or let off or combination of both?

Anyone know how the new Hoyt RX4 Carbon Ultras would compare to mine for feel and shoot ability? Not too concerned with speed.

I know I should go shoot them but no dealers where I live. Just want to get an idea if there are big enough improvements over the last 3 years. I think mine is a 2017 model but not sure.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:27 AM

Default Rx4 ultra

I’ve shot both.
The RX4 Ultra is considerably smoother and more shootable. Go get one, you won’t be disappointed!
Old 03-07-2020, 08:17 AM
Banned

What your referring to is the valley, most “turbo” bows will have a short valley stage string has a longer “hot” cycle to pick up the speed, making it a “turbo”. The RX4 Ultra has a longer ata and brace height, both traits that will make your bow more “shootable”, along with it not having the short valley that comes along with a “turbo”.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:06 AM

Unless you are determined to buy another Hoyt, I would suggest a trip to Edmonton and visit Jimbows, Accurate Archery and Wyld Archery. Between the 3 you should be able to try Mathews, Hoyt, Bowtech, PSE, and Prime. All these companies have excellent flagship bows this year.... it might be the best year for new bows in a very long time.

I added Wyld Archery because they might be the only dealer in the area with the PSE flagship bows in stock, but I would call ahead to make sure.
Old 03-07-2020, 10:42 AM

Turbo cams are always jumpy... not fun to shoot IMHO, the gains aren’t worth it.

LC
Old 03-07-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
What your referring to is the valley, most “turbo” bows will have a short valley stage string has a longer “hot” cycle to pick up the speed, making it a “turbo”. The RX4 Ultra has a longer ata and brace height, both traits that will make your bow more “shootable”, along with it not having the short valley that comes along with a “turbo”.
I think I like a longer valley...this bow keeps my attention.
Old 03-07-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Unless you are determined to buy another Hoyt, I would suggest a trip to Edmonton and visit Jimbows, Accurate Archery and Wyld Archery. Between the 3 you should be able to try Mathews, Hoyt, Bowtech, PSE, and Prime. All these companies have excellent flagship bows this year.... it might be the best year for new bows in a very long time.

I added Wyld Archery because they might be the only dealer in the area with the PSE flagship bows in stock, but I would call ahead to make sure.
I have bought from both Lawrence and Jimbow's in the past, my two favourite shops. Haven't heard of Wyld Archery, so thanks for the heads up.

I have only ever owned Hoyt Carbon bows...don't know much different. I may look around, just not too hard. lol.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
I think I like a longer valley...this bow keeps my attention.
It’s really all about personal preference. Some guys, myself included, like to hold tight into the wall, so I don’t have a problem with a short valley. I’ve tried shooting 60lb bows instead of 70lb bows because of a torn rotator cuff but it never helped, in fact I can’t shoot a 60lb bow as accurately as a 70lb bow and I think it’s because of the reduced tension.

I once held at full draw on a mule deer with the Hoyt fuel cam at 78lbs for about 10 minutes before the deer ran, it wouldn’t of mattered if it was a 6@lb bow with 95% let off because I was locked in at full draw.

You have a more relaxed hold at full draw, I can say with 100% confidence that the ultra will be a better fit for your shooting style.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:20 AM

Well I walked into Jim-Bows in Calgary to get my bow tuned up and walked out with a Bowtech Revolt X. Haha.

Shot that and the Matthews VXR 31.5. It was a hard decision both were great bows. Just felt like the Bowtech fit me better, loved the handle and draw cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk