Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-08-2020, 11:38 AM

Default Wigwam River BC

Long time reader, first time poster on this site.

I'm looking to do a few days on the Wigwam this summer. I'm looking for more information on the following:
  • Access: Is there vehicle access? I have a capable 4x4 with plenty of ground clearance. Information online is few and far between
  • Locations: Which sections of the river are most productive for catch and release?
  • Flies: What flies work here?
  • Camping Regulations: What are the laws and regulations surrounding freedom camping here? Looking to tent camp. Information is few and far between online and no-one is answering my calls/emails.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you don't wish to share this publicly feel free to shoot me a message.

I understand this is class 2 and the regulations surrounding it.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishClimbHunt View Post
Long time reader, first time poster on this site.

I'm looking to do a few days on the Wigwam this summer. I'm looking for more information on the following:
  • Access: Is there vehicle access? I have a capable 4x4 with plenty of ground clearance. Information online is few and far between
  • Locations: Which sections of the river are most productive for catch and release?
  • Flies: What flies work here?
  • Camping Regulations: What are the laws and regulations surrounding freedom camping here? Looking to tent camp. Information is few and far between online and no-one is answering my calls/emails.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you don't wish to share this publicly feel free to shoot me a message.

I understand this is class 2 and the regulations surrounding it.
BC just shut down back country access. You might want to check out the thread on it.

BW
Old 04-08-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
BC just shut down back country access. You might want to check out the thread on it.

BW
Thank's for the head up!

I'm not planning on going until mid-August given the situation and so far the ban only extends until May 31. Nonetheless the situation can change.

I would still like information if anyone has any.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:45 PM

You will also want to read up on the BC regs, the Wigwam is a classified water with special restrictions. I believe it one of the rivers that now has a limit on how many out of province fishermen can buy classified licenses for it. After the limit is reached only guided fishermen will get licenses (I believe this is how they are doing this now). Best thing would be to decide as soon as possible when you are going and then get your classified licenses for those days (20 bucks a day).
Sorry, I just went back and read the thread again, looks like you already know about the regs.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:24 PM

It's all gravel roads back in there.
Watch out for logging trucks. They don't travel slowly back in there. I think the Radio Channel is RR2 (its on signs on the way in).

All of the sections work produce fine for catch and release.

Mostly Cut-Throat in there, hoppers or caddis will work fine. Check a fly shop in Fernie - they're pretty friendly with helping you choose flies.

Its also Crown land back in there, plenty of camping opportunities. Find an established site and set up shop!
Old 04-08-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Hale View Post
You will also want to read up on the BC regs, the Wigwam is a classified water with special restrictions. I believe it one of the rivers that now has a limit on how many out of province fishermen can buy classified licenses for it. After the limit is reached only guided fishermen will get licenses (I believe this is how they are doing this now). Best thing would be to decide as soon as possible when you are going and then get your classified licenses for those days (20 bucks a day).
Sorry, I just went back and read the thread again, looks like you already know about the regs.
No worries, good to let people know just in case!
Old 04-08-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_r6 View Post
It's all gravel roads back in there.
Watch out for logging trucks. They don't travel slowly back in there. I think the Radio Channel is RR2 (its on signs on the way in).

All of the sections work produce fine for catch and release.

Mostly Cut-Throat in there, hoppers or caddis will work fine. Check a fly shop in Fernie - they're pretty friendly with helping you choose flies.

Its also Crown land back in there, plenty of camping opportunities. Find an established site and set up shop!
Thanks for the info, that everything I wanted to know!
Old 04-08-2020, 05:04 PM

The later in Aug you go, the greater chance you’ll catch a few bulls staging for spawning in the big holes ( and there are some huge holes there). It’s almost better to use a bushy buck tail jig and spin caster to get your presentation down to where they’ll hang.

Stimmies work great, size 10 royal wulffs and yellow hi pies are great.

Pretty fast water in a lot of areas.... very nice cooperative fish when Ive been there.

Not hard to get into fish there at all.

If you don’t see a grizz there you musta has your eyes closed the hole time pretty much.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 04-08-2020, 08:14 PM

Staggering number of cougars in that whole Flathead area as well.

Bring your bear spray!
Old 04-08-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
If you don’t see a grizz there you musta has your eyes closed the hole time pretty much.

Yup....
Old 04-09-2020, 06:41 PM

Pretty sure you have to reserve your days for your Classified licence. You can't just show up.

How late in August is ethically too late to fish for spawners closing in on their redds???
Old 04-17-2020, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
The later in Aug you go, the greater chance you’ll catch a few bulls staging for spawning in the big holes ( and there are some huge holes there). It’s almost better to use a bushy buck tail jig and spin caster to get your presentation down to where they’ll hang.

Stimmies work great, size 10 royal wulffs and yellow hi pies are great.

Pretty fast water in a lot of areas.... very nice cooperative fish when Ive been there.

Not hard to get into fish there at all.

Its been a few years since I have fished it since I no longer spend my money in the east kootenays since the whole classified waters B.S. But I am pretty sure the entire river is designated as fly fish only.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:44 AM

Hope you’re able to make it out this year. I was unable to get a license in time. Next availability looks to be the Nov 1-15 slot.
Old 04-19-2020, 01:06 PM

It's even open that late?

-Confucius
Old 04-19-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
It's even open that late?
From a quick browse of the regulations, it looks like it's closed April 1 - June 14, and part of it is also closed from Sept 1 - October 30. Appears to be open the rest of the year, but I'm not a BC fishing regulation expert.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:31 AM

You won't get a non guided day now. They go on sale at Midnight BC time March 1 and are gone by morning for most of the open season. There might still be some late season days left.

Same applies to the Michel. There are no days left through the end of October.

Your only avenue now is to book a guide that has some rod days there to take you. Would probably be the best option anyway.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:55 AM

LOL this is great. Can't touch it without a guide, prepare for $800 day.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
LOL this is great. Can't touch it without a guide, prepare for $800 day.
Plus tip!
FHD
Old 04-22-2020, 12:22 PM

Ah ya gotta love BC regs!
Old 04-22-2020, 01:29 PM

In many ways, wayyyy better then Alberta ones!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flydude View Post
Ah ya gotta love BC regs!

-Confucius
Old 04-22-2020, 01:33 PM

$800+ for a guide to catch the dumbest salmonid in the water....what a joke.
But, you know, they did this to protect the fish.....while they increased the rod days for the guides.
Someone is protecting something alright....

It used to be "fly fishing only"....but that took too much skill for the clients .
Now you can drag your bobbers right over the fish's backs
Old 04-26-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
$800+ for a guide to catch the dumbest salmonid in the water....what a joke.
But, you know, they did this to protect the fish.....while they increased the rod days for the guides.
Someone is protecting something alright....

It used to be "fly fishing only"....but that took too much skill for the clients .
Now you can drag your bobbers right over the fish's backs
Exactly, the guides laughed about their fortunes when the government changed to a classified system.
I hear people promote classified systems as a solution to some of our waters. Those people need to stop it or be honest about the benefits to themselves as this will only benefit guides.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Exactly, the guides laughed about their fortunes when the government changed to a classified system.
I hear people promote classified systems as a solution to some of our waters. Those people need to stop it or be honest about the benefits to themselves as this will only benefit guides.
I have no problem with promoting implementation of classified waters in Alberta...with one large caveat.....NO GUIDES allowed.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:39 AM

Remember the classified waters only apply to Non res. If you live in BC you can fish whenever you want for no extra fee.
I think a lot of the non guided days are bought up by people with disposable income who say don't think twice about spending $500 to buy a months wort of days and fish when you can go or the river is fishing good.
They sell the days in two week blocks so I really don't think they have control over how many people fish the rivers on a given day. Only how many rod days are available for that period.
Last year on the Michel we bought a couple midweek days in July and August thinking it wouldn't be too bad. Never seen it so busy with non guided Alberta plate fisherman. You could hardly find an access spot. And if you did and walked up the river not very far you would run into someone.
Old 04-28-2020, 12:38 PM

Default Hmmm...not sure there PFKGSP....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFKGSP View Post
Remember the classified waters only apply to Non res. If you live in BC you can fish whenever you want for no extra fee.
I do not believe that is accurate. I think the advantage to BC residents is that they are eligible to buy an annual classified license, whereas non-resident Canadians and non-resident aliens cannot.

BC residents definitely have to pay extra fees for classified waters though, that much I know, even if it is less or can be paid for annually. Someone correct me if I am wrong on that...
Old 04-28-2020, 12:42 PM

BC residents don't get to fish anywhere they want for free. Although it isn't as expensive as $20 a day. It's $15 for the Classified Waters License for the year along with the $36 Annual License.

It used to be fly fishing only, they changed it to Single Barbless hook a while ago, and a "Treble" hook has 3 points on it - so it's considered 3 hooks. You can fish with your 5 o' diamonds, but supposed to clip off 2 points and the barb. It's also catch and release through the whole river.

Attached the Wigwam Regs for yous guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wigwam.JPG (33.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 04-28-2020, 01:47 PM

Default Views on this thread are making my point...

This thread has been viewed 1423 times. Yes, of course, indeed, that includes alot of the same people reviewing it.

But...1423.

I wonder if there is interest in fishing the WigWam?

I wonder, despite its remoteness, whether it sees alot of anglers?

I wonder if BC will implement special regs managing it...

oh...wait...
Old 04-28-2020, 09:39 PM

One of those rivers I havent fished after being here for 8 years. I've decided its time this year! Each year I buy a Classified Waters license and I've fished the Kootenay and Flathead quickly, but this year the goal is to spend some time in these waters and see what I can get into!
Old 04-28-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty9 View Post
This thread has been viewed 1423 times. Yes, of course, indeed, that includes alot of the same people reviewing it.

But...1423.

I wonder if there is interest in fishing the WigWam?

I wonder, despite its remoteness, whether it sees alot of anglers?

I wonder if BC will implement special regs managing it...

oh...wait...
And about 1409 readers are looking because they are interested in fly fishing so they read every topic on the fly fishing section because there are so few new threads daily but only about 14 of those readers will ever fish the wigwam. I've looked at this thread at least 20 times, so have many others, whenever there is a new post or two. 1423 views don't mean 1423 people are going to rush over there to fish.
Old 04-28-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
And about 1409 readers are looking because they are interested in fly fishing so they read every topic on the fly fishing section because there are so few new threads daily but only about 14 of those readers will ever fish the wigwam. I've looked at this thread at least 20 times, so have many others, whenever there is a new post or two. 1423 views don't mean 1423 people are going to rush over there to fish.
Aaannnnnd I just looked at it again.....lol

Tags
british columbia, camping, fly fishing, regulations, wigwam