Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-07-2019, 10:50 AM

Default The sickness

I’ve been sick for 6 days straight with chills, fever, aches and pains, non stop cough, absolutely drained of energy. I’ve been to the doc and he told me it was just a cold, waiting for chest X-ray results.

Anyone else been fighting the not so common cold? I can’t say I’ve ever had something like this in a long long time. Usually can pop some pills a gut out a day but I’m using bed rest to fight this one off. My mom got pneumonia last week too and she has lung complications, luckily I forced her to the hospital because something didn’t seem right.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:56 AM

And women say the man-cold/man flu is a myth! We now have documented proof!!!

Maybe a nasal infection or pulmonary edema? Hope the xrays find something, heal fast.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-07-2019, 12:03 PM

Sorry to hear your under the weather and hope your recovery is real quick. I hate being in that state. Sooooooooo with that said, please do not post about a virus on line. My computer might get affected I think it has hiccups now!!!! Get well soon
Old 10-07-2019, 12:55 PM

Is it just me or do cold’s/flu’s these days feel like they are more potent and longer lasting then back in the day?
Old 10-07-2019, 01:01 PM

Well I guess I don’t have the common cold, X-ray came back as pneumonia as well. Guess my mom gave me this great gift. Doctor was thrown off because my cough was dry and I could breath fairly well. Maybe I’m just tough as a mule and as soft as a marshmallow at the same time.

Like he told me any fever over 5 days you should get checked out regardless, luckily he sent me for an X-ray to double check. Also did me a solid and requested it as a “STAT” test (back in 30 mins). The X-ray tech said it’s normally 1-2 business days, something to push the doctor to write down. 2 more days of this would probably have me in a world of hurt.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:07 PM

There's a lot of concern that this flu season has arrived early, and the vaccine is arriving late. (Not until Oct. 21 locally)

Apparently this is a particularly nasty one, and Australia has already been dealing with it for several months.

I've been feeling a bit ragged myself for the past day or so, and I have to go into hospital in a couple of days for some unrelated but long-scheduled tests - I hope I'm not dealing with a virus by then as well!
Old 10-07-2019, 01:55 PM

I had one with chills, low energy, and coughing. Lasted 3 weeks. Mine might have been drawn out longer as I was going out into the cold to feed animals every day.

So, a job that normally takes a little over an hour took 2.5 hours, I'd go into the house, and fix something to eat. That was about all I could do till late afternoon. I literally fell asleep at the stove a few times. Didn't trust myself to do anything with machinery, so harvest/haying that should have been done got left.

In the late afternoon/evening, I might have enough energy to tackle a small job. Really small job., like cleaning a chainsaw carb. That was it. Go back to bed and sleep for 12 hours.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:57 PM

The same illness went through our shop at work. It lasted up to two weeks for a couple of the people.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:06 PM

Well I was talking to my cousin who is an engineer working on some project in the god forsaken dredges of India somewhere and today he departs to fly back home while suffering from something he described as "Bangladore Bum Flu"

18 hour flight should be fun.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:10 PM

been battling it for 2 weeks. It's a brutal one.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:21 PM

My daughter just went through a week of hell ….. finally went in ….. bronchitis …..

Lot's of stuff going around these days ….
Old 10-07-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPants View Post
I’ve been sick for 6 days straight with chills, fever, aches and pains, non stop cough, absolutely drained of energy. I’ve been to the doc and he told me it was just a cold, waiting for chest X-ray results.

Anyone else been fighting the not so common cold? I can’t say I’ve ever had something like this in a long long time. Usually can pop some pills a gut out a day but I’m using bed rest to fight this one off. My mom got pneumonia last week too and she has lung complications, luckily I forced her to the hospital because something didn’t seem right.
I have had most of these symptons that you describe since last sunday and have never had a dry cough and lack of energy like this in all my life, but seem to be getting better the last couple of days...Definately not bronchittis or the Flu....Very weird for me...No phlem this time...DRY cough is all
Old 10-07-2019, 07:05 PM

58 now and never get sick other than 25 shots of radiation 18 years ago. Maybe I'll think about a flu shot one of these days. Feeling lucky I guess.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:14 PM

Take 1000mg a day of vitamin C when weather changes. And 2000mg if you feel the beginnings of a cold. Scratchy throat or beginning to sneeze often, you know when it happens. This has reduced or eliminated me from colds last few years. I like the EmergenC packets you dissolve in a glass of water or the tabs that dissolve in water. When temp is below +5 degrees, wear a damn Toque!
Old 10-07-2019, 07:35 PM

Default The sickness

Was down and out for a week, with the sh.ts and a very uneasy stomach, and still having lingering effects a week later.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:53 PM

Wife and I had our flue shots this morning. Hope it works, i can afford time off work at all.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:02 PM
Gone Hunting

Pneumonia dragged on until I got zithromax. cleared it up in about 7-8 days.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-11-2019, 12:25 PM

No cough, but stiff sore muscles, headache from hell, fever, and pain in joints I didn't know I had. 6 days now and it's messing up my goose hunting. 😠
Old 10-11-2019, 02:23 PM
Banned

Pretty sure it’s all to do with global warming 😬
Old 10-11-2019, 02:34 PM

Default Wrong!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I blame the UN !
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-11-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Ha!

wait...ancient spores coming out?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-11-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Is it just me or do cold’s/flu’s these days feel like they are more potent and longer lasting then back in the day?
Just the medicine of the day made it feel shorter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg medicine.jpg (82.9 KB, 64 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-11-2019, 04:09 PM

To think this used to be a treatment for things like the flu and colds in the 1920's.

Quoted from: Dynamic Science.com
"Do you think a chlorine bomb sounds more like something from the battlefield than the medicine cabinet, then you’d be right about the origins of this 1920s remedy. The product, and a brief trend among physicians for treating colds with chlorine, arose from experiments made by the US Chemical Warfare Service after the First World War.

Treatments were ineffective as immediate treatments but patients got better in a few days. This was enough for people to claim success. A cold getting better after three days? Who would have thought it possible?

In 1925 the University of Minnesota demonstrated via a controlled experiment that patients with colds recovered in the same amount of time with or without chlorine, but by then the idea had entered the commercial world and sufferers were being exhorted to ‘Bomb the first sneeze’ with Kilacold.

Chlorine is a poisonous gas that turns the skin, green, yellow and black and when inhaled destroys lung tissue causing fluid buildup in the lungs drowning the victim in their own body fluids. It was used during WW1 by the Germans with devastating consequences.

The Kilacold chlorine bomb was a teardrop-shaped glass ampoule containing 0.35g of chlorine gas. The patient had to break the end off to allow the gas to permeate the air of a closed room. According to the advertising their cold would disappear within an hour. The treatment was also promoted for flu, whooping cough, croup, bronchitis and for diphtheria carriers, but was not recommended for people with asthma. The bombs cost 29c each at Walgreens in 1925."

Hope everyone suffering gets better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg killacold bomb.jpg (69.2 KB, 43 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-11-2019, 09:52 PM

Got sick as a kid with day care, elementary.

From there on fast forward until age 29. NEVER got sick.

Then I had a couple kids. Now, what they bring home, I usually get. Germ magnets!!!!
Old 10-14-2019, 03:38 PM

I've had a cold for 31 days now. Varying amount of thick green goop in nose/throat. Varying degrees of congestion and coughing. Some days I am very tired, even though I am going to bed earlier and getting more rest. Seems the worst is past, but it just never goes away completely.

My daughter got it and very quickly had a severe ear infection. Seems that the anitibiotics they gave her blasted it quickly and she is better off after 10 days than I am. My wife now has it?

I was told to be prepared that whatever is going around Calgary lasts up to 6 weeks?
Old 10-14-2019, 04:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPants View Post

Wife and I both on day 4 of the same thing
Old 10-14-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post
I've had a cold for 31 days now. Varying amount of thick green goop in nose/throat. Varying degrees of congestion and coughing. Some days I am very tired, even though I am going to bed earlier and getting more rest. Seems the worst is past, but it just never goes away completely.

My daughter got it and very quickly had a severe ear infection. Seems that the anitibiotics they gave her blasted it quickly and she is better off after 10 days than I am. My wife now has it?

I was told to be prepared that whatever is going around Calgary lasts up to 6 weeks?
I was the same last spring, went to see the doc and I had a ear infection, sinusitis, and the onset of pneumonia in my lungs. The doc gave me some antibiotics and gave me crap for not coming sooner. I told him I wanted to fight it off myself and he just laughed. The turmeric and vitamins didn’t cut it. He did give me an answer to the question on why some of these bugs seem more powerful, it’s because they are but I won’t discuss the reason why on here.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:45 AM

Anybody else wind up with a hacking cough for the New Year? Never had a cough come up this fast...really no other symptoms yet.

How about some surefire home remedies or even the drug store? My theory is either the crowded Bo's New Years party (Red Deer) or the 30 minutes of A/C when we first arrived at our hotel (heat was cranked).
Old 01-03-2020, 10:48 AM

Do a gargle of salt water or whiskey. The bacteria in the back of the throat multiply and create the sore throat. Gargle to kill the bacteria before they multiply.

If your throat is sore already, a teaspoon of onion juice with a little brown sugar to make it taste better will calm a throat.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:50 AM

If you insist on "Bro Hugging" then maybe get a flu shot and if over 60 get a pneumonia shot also.