Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-12-2009, 09:21 PM

If you all want to hunt these pigs so bad, quit being so cheap and go straight to the source. You will waste way more money than the hunt costs on fuel looking for the pigs if you can even get permission if you do find them anyhow...

http://www.hogwild.ab.ca/

Earl and Debbie will make it all worthwhile as they are great and give you alot more than you think for what it will cost. One weekend of fun and great food for under $1,000 is tough to complain about. Bring a big group 5-10 people and you'll save even more money as Earl can work out a deal for you. I've hunted there for years and am really close with the family.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:59 PM

The most fun $1.50 per pound meat I ever bought

Old 07-13-2009, 12:08 AM

Hey Sparx, what time of year do you usually hunt at Earl's?
Old 07-16-2009, 07:55 AM
Banned

Our county has had a bounty since 2003, we were the pilot project. We have never taken in a set of ears to get the $50.00. Never ask for compensation even when wolves get some of our calves. We got 1200 acres and its year after year having problems with people.

Last edited by lilsundance; 07-27-2009 at 06:33 PM. Reason: remove insults
Old 07-16-2009, 08:32 AM

Here is one I took at a private hunt farm this past weekend,first time I arrowed one,they do hide in the toughest terrain.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:08 AM

Lucky Bugger.!! Way to go DS.. God i want to get miss piggy.!
Old 07-16-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntwriter View Post
There are no wild hogs in BC and never have been any.

But as I said we do not have any here in BC.

I was getting upset by this comment, then I saw the wink eye smiley. I personally was involved in shooting some in the chilliwack/hope area some 20 yrs ago. We were actually paid to get rid of them by a farmer (chicken) who was losing his livestock to them.

Not sure where they are now, but they do taste good.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:57 AM

Default Wild Pig ???

This is what i dont understand about this situation is why people are being D###S about the situation. i can understand not wanting every guy and his brother in law out hunting in your honey hole BUT here is a couple of facts. pigs are like coyotes. They can live anywhere and are fairly tough. Also pigs can have 3-10 piglets per litter average being 5-6. they can do this 3-4 times a year. And finally a female piglet can have her own set of piglets within the first year. so lets say there was a lower number that got out (500) as a round number. only half are female. 250 with an average of five per litter equals 1250. do this 3 times a year. 3750 per year. Obviously this is a estimated number and on the best case scenario but you get the point. they are terminators when it comes to crops and wildlife and the problem needs to be controlled soon or eventually the problem will spread and the provice will have to step in and then its people working for province getting rid of them where ever they are weather you like it or not. A friend of mine has been to texas to visit his mother in law a few times and has seen the devistation they cause. if we can sort this out now by letting a few more hunters into the know then we can hopefully slow the situation.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyt hntr View Post
before you continue on insulting all farmers and ranchers maybe you should think about who owns most of the land that you probably go begging and sucking up for hunting permission on every fall, why dont you try taking that attitude and those comments to the door of a farmer and see how welcome you are on his land.
I have no intention of insulting any hard working honest farmer. My grandfather farmed, all of my uncles farmed, my dad farmed, I grew up on the farm....BUT I did not have the *****h07e attitude this so called Wolfkiller does. Growing up on the farm, we hunted as well, but would never deny anyone who asked, the right to hunt on our land. We did not think that the wild animals belonged to us - they belonged to everyone.

All the hunters that asked permission appreciated it and showed respect by closing gates, avoiding the livestock. Lots would drop back after the hunt and show their success-even have a beer with us - some would leave us a few ducks/geese if we were had use for them, (one even returned with a 5 gallon bucket of fresh perch in winter time). Others would show us the deer or coyotes they had harvested and talk about the hunt, etc.

My parents appreciated how respectful and grateful most hunters were. As a kid, I enjoyed their hunting stories. When I got older I even went hunting with some of the experienced regular hunters. Bad experiences -not with hunters. With the local yahoos (they sound incredibly similar to wolfkiller) that we knew the families of and were farmers themselves - absolutely - lots of issues - thought that it was free rein just because they grew up in the same area. Caught one that had cut the fence with fencing pliers so that he could take a short cut across our field. Had to box him in with the truck before he would stop (at least this time HE repaired the fence). What hunter or city kid carries fencing pliers?

So in summary, I have a lot of respect for farmers but the yahoos like wolfkiller make trouble, cause discension and by try to say he is a farmer, again I say "Is an Embarassment". Funny thing is he claims to be a farmer, then he claims to be a sponsored hunter in the record books - maybe professional $h1t disturber.

And as for the record books- SCI - Alberta records-only one non-guided wolf kill in the top 5 and one other in the top 15 - no repeat hunters. SCI-North America - only one non-guided wolf kill in the top 5 and no repeat hunters in the top 15.

Last edited by MikeSpike; 07-19-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:43 AM
Banned

Default Where????

My brother and I have been trying to find information on where wild boar are to hunt.

So far what I have found is that by going on the alberta association of municipal districts and counties -http://www.aamdc.com/ - you can find contact information. Most county offices will tell you how many wild boar bounties have been claimed and when. If you get the right person, they will even tell you the general area that they have been a sighted and shot. They are considered a pest and the bounty is to help solve a problem or potential problem so most inquires are seen as positive. Some times they refer you to the F&G guys.

From my checking/calling - 50 bounties have been claimed in the Two Hills area. The other area is Manning or more specifically Deadwood - the F&G guy said go to shoot first, ask questions later. They have had 20 bounties collected. Said to shoot and then call him to meet up and fill out the paper work. (Not that the bounty is of most of our concerns, but the info will help them and I guess indirectly us.)

Also he indicated that during the summer they have lots of vegetation and don't bother the farmers then. Also quite hard to track or spot. Said the best time was winter time when they get hungry and can't hide as well.

Another source of mine has said that they are a real nuisance around silage pits - the smell, heat and food brings them in. Though the only problem is that once they have been shot at, they turn nocturnal and only come at night. Any large storage of hay near fence lines and patches of bush but away from the road, are good spots as well.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:10 PM

Yeah problem is when you phone and ask where the problems are they might tell you where there's been sitings, what part of alberta but they wont tell you anymore than that because they say its invading farmers privacy. 8 hour drive there and 8 hour back or not I'll go out and get some. Freezers pretty much low on boar meat. And yeah you definitely need land owners permission and written consent and this person you speak of in Mayerthorpe I know his fencing is good its some jag offs who thought it would be cool to cut down his fence. I havent been hearing about much around mayerthorpe anymore i used to go out there, they seemed to have cleared up. Well the dogs are itching to go hunting so i want to get out some where here real soon.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardogs View Post
Yeah problem is when you phone and ask where the problems are they might tell you where there's been sitings, what part of alberta but they wont tell you anymore than that because they say its invading farmers privacy. 8 hour drive there and 8 hour back or not I'll go out and get some. Freezers pretty much low on boar meat. And yeah you definitely need land owners permission and written consent and this person you speak of in Mayerthorpe I know his fencing is good its some jag offs who thought it would be cool to cut down his fence. I havent been hearing about much around mayerthorpe anymore i used to go out there, they seemed to have cleared up. Well the dogs are itching to go hunting so i want to get out some where here real soon.
If its a county program where they have paid the bounty it should be public knowlege - besides the reason for the bounty is to help the farmers with a problem - if the farmers don't want the issue dealt with then there is no reason for the bounty.

It the county offices that will give you lots of information. If they start getting all privacy on you, then threaten to FOIP them - "Freedom of Information and Privacy" and threaten to talk to a councillor as to why have a bounty if you don't want anyone being capable of collecting. The FOIP threat usually will get you a lot of information right away as the work related to a FOIP is nightmarish.

As to providing usefully information, usually just some clerk (who might be anti-hunting) not wanting to do any work-bypass the first people you talk to and get a manager with brains.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:16 AM

Hey thanks for the tips with the FOIP. yeah I've spent hours talking and driving to counties and wild life officers and alberta agriculture, have had to record conversations and everything just to make sure nothing happens because they've given me the OK to use the dogs. But yeah no matter who I would phone that worked for county and everything I'd ask for maybe some directions of where they've been spotted and he said he'll tell me if they're in the area. But he can't go naming off where they are around by what fields and what roads because its invading farmers' privacy. Not too many counties actually have the bounty, I have all the counties written down somewhere. The media made it seem as if its a huge outbreak on hogs because they said ALBERTA has put a bounty on wild boars, making it sound like we're texas here or something but its only a number of counties that are participating with this. But honestly i've talked to just about everyone possible. Some didn't seem to really get what it was I was doing with the dogs and the boars and some just found it awesome.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:11 PM

Geez, when i started this thread i was just asking a question, being new to finding out about wild pigs and all. Sorry to have caused all the comotion.

Since then, ive found out that my county has got a program in place to deal with pigs, now i just gotta go find out more about it. There is a bounty on them here as well. County of stettler if anyone wants to know.

And those are some great pics of pigs! I heard that they put you in barrels down in the southern states so that they dont hurt you if they charge. Taking one with a bow would be neat to watch, but ill stick to my rifle, as i dont think i could do a bow. Nice pig Double Shovel, did it go far?

Last edited by lilsundance; 07-27-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:40 PM

I live near sangudo, i've know a few places where they have been, including my back yard once, but most locals are just as happy to take care of them for themselves if they hunt. pretty tough/ tight lipped group.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:32 PM

When I talked to the Ag Fieldman from the MD of Smokey River he told me that they were only a few wild pigs left so they introduced the bounty to erradicate them. He also told me that he would let me know if any farmers were having trouble with them and I haven't heard from him. I think there are small populations in isolated pockets and I really doubt that they are going to take over Alberta any time soon. It sounds like they get wiped out as soon as anyone finds a bunch. If the pigs were causing many problems people would be broadcasting their locations instead of keeping tight lipped.

I attached a picture of some hogs we shot in South Texas, where wild pigs are a problem. They aren't European wild boars but just domestic pigs that have went feral over the last couple hundred years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hogs on suburban (Medium).jpg (112.3 KB, 253 views)
Old 07-27-2009, 06:59 PM

hey cooeylover sorry if I high jacked your thread or something. But yeah all in all they're still out there but looks like the numbers are way way down. Used to hear about keg river but yeah everyone there says now that they did some really hard trapping and they dont really see them anymore
Old 07-27-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardogs View Post
hey cooeylover sorry if I high jacked your thread or something. But yeah all in all they're still out there but looks like the numbers are way way down. Used to hear about keg river but yeah everyone there says now that they did some really hard trapping and they dont really see them anymore
No problem, I wanted to know about pigs and im finding out lots over time.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:58 AM

Sounds good! Hopefully a bunch pop up everywhere lol, which won't happen. but if any of you want to try a rush seeing how it is hunting with just dogs for wild boar let me know!
Old 09-07-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
I hear lots of people talking about them....BUT has anyone on here actually shot one? I always my buddy's uncle's cusins brother shot one a few years ago.

Would love to see some pics.
My family used to raise them things, calm as can be feed them by pail, but if they smell blood run, they go crazy an will eat there own offspring, the boar got out an put the run on my horse that split it hock on a stick in muskeg, shot the boar. Definatley make your shot count if your after free range boars, recommend 30-06, 7mm mag and bigger. If your good shot 22-250 i shot mine with behind ear at 60 yrds w/hornadyv-max, made 20yrds drop dead. Seen father shoot them head on at 40 yrds 6.5 55 really made the boar nuts good luck shooting him then, jus like a bear wounded.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:15 PM

We offer wild boar hunting in east central alberta. we hunt with dogs, if interested message me
Old 09-13-2009, 02:19 PM

We offer wild boar hunts in east central alberta with dogs and a spear or knife. If interested, message me
Old 09-13-2009, 02:21 PM

We offer wild boar hunts in east central alberta with dogs and a knife or spear. If you are interested, message me
Old 09-13-2009, 02:39 PM

Default Boar Hunting

We offer boar hunting with dogs and a knife or spear in east central alberta. Can use a rifle. We have a local abbatoir available. Guide provided that can dress the animal if required. Meals provided. If you are into having a hair straight back good time, this is what you want! Message me if you are interested
Old 09-13-2009, 03:19 PM

Hey weeniekiller
It seems that there a lot of country folk that seem to get their name in print under the crimes committed and caught section in the warden magazines. I would say that your attitude is a hinderance and probably the reason why some people have access problems.
If you were a smart landowner you would be asking for a business card that lists all the hunters and their phone numbers. You would be calling the authorities when there was a problem instead of painting everyone with the same brush.
Shame on you. Be a part of the solution not the main problem.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:23 PM

Default Pics!

I had posted this pic on another thread and I hope some other people do so as well on like threads. These pigs are everywhere and if a farmer has a problem with them they will be more than happy for some tusk lovin hunters to shoot them. This boar is one of 25 pigs that were crossing a field!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pig Compressed.jpg (41.5 KB, 304 views)
Old 09-17-2009, 01:45 PM

Any info you have on a good place to go please pm me or email. Great pic, that's a huge pig
Old 09-18-2009, 09:28 AM

agreed mikespike - most of us outdoorsman are a pretty tight nit group and we know that if we act irrisponsibly in any way that theres a million new age activists out there trying to take away our rights as soon as they get a good reason. Lets all try and work together, not against one another and maybe we can keep this great province great for a few more hundred years...
Old 11-17-2009, 01:52 PM

Default boars

Got a boar on camera here last week, cant find the bloody thing though. Either passin through or just one
Old 11-18-2009, 12:27 AM

Default boar hunting

if anyone is going boar hunting pm me ill gladly come along