Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-26-2017, 08:32 PM

Default Anyone own the trapline that borders Cadomin mine?

If you do please get to work on the wolves there and do something!
If you don't want to trap the wolves then find someone that will!
Sad to watch a place with a world class sheep population get decimated!
If I could legally plop a bait in the middle of that mine or anywhere around it I would be!
Old 10-27-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
If you do please get to work on the wolves there and do something!
If you don't want to trap the wolves then find someone that will!
Sad to watch a place with a world class sheep population get decimated!
If I could legally plop a bait in the middle of that mine or anywhere around it I would be!
I know the guy that owns it....not much of a trapper at all (if He still owns it). More of sledding cabins. The line goes back into the Red Caps too.
That being said, baiting would be nearly impossible (until dead of winter) with the crazy amount of grizz in that area.

Spruce
Old 10-27-2017, 10:00 AM

Sad to hear that Spruce. Guess I could have guess what what going on by spending some time out there. What a sad state it is! If he needs someone to trap it and clean some of those wolves upI'm up for it. I'm sure a little help to get some bait and you could make a huge impact for the sheep around there that are getting whacked daily it looks like..
They really need to start taking some of these lines away from guys that don't use them!!!
Old 10-27-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Sad to hear that Spruce. Guess I could have guess what what going on by spending some time out there. What a sad state it is! If he needs someone to trap it and clean some of those wolves upI'm up for it. I'm sure a little help to get some bait and you could make a huge impact for the sheep around there that are getting whacked daily it looks like..
They really need to start taking some of these lines away from guys that don't use them!!!
If that’s the case then yes. Very sad and something should be done
Last year the guy ahead of me at the office to renew was asked to fill out his declaration of what he caught the year prior. He actually chuckled and said no money in trapping and passed it back to her blank.
And here I thought we had to provide proof of activity

Anyway, I hope the situation turns around. Until you see the effects first hand you don’t understand the damage an increased wolf presence has
Moose and deer up here dropped off significantly and wolf tracks are everywhere
We’ve had good winters to rebound but the wolves are still holding the ungulates down
Old 10-27-2017, 10:57 AM

I would imagine there should be more than 1 rfma bordering the mine, I do know the trapper that had one of the bordering lines and he was taking some impressive wolf numbers off it. There are wolf issues all over right now. Sad too say but it's not the fault of one trapper it lays more on the government for letting this go on too long. All lines need too be actively trapped too manage numbers. Doesn't matter if it's beside your favourite sheep spot too make it more important
Old 10-27-2017, 12:29 PM

Far from my favorite sheep spot but I get what you are saying. Just find it sad that a place such as Cadomin can wrecked like it has in a 10 year span and it easily could have not been this way
Old 10-29-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
I know the guy that owns it....not much of a trapper at all (if He still owns it). More of sledding cabins. The line goes back into the Red Caps too.
That being said, baiting would be nearly impossible (until dead of winter) with the crazy amount of grizz in that area.

Spruce
Its sad thats all traplines are now a days. Cheap vacation spots or sledding cabins.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:14 PM

Default it's sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief_Pounderhard View Post
Its sad thats all traplines are now a days. Cheap vacation spots or sledding cabins.
You have a pretty big brush my friend. I think a majority of traplines are trapped properly, and a few that are not are definitely a minority. It is not beneficial in this anti hunter, anti quadder, anti trapper environment to publically put others down. If you are concerned, offer to buy the line and then you're the man!