Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-25-2018, 09:55 PM

Default Lake Suggestion to Get Kids "Hooked" on Ice Fishing

We recently took our local Scout Troop out to a Winter Camp near Wabamun Lake where a short part of the camp was spent ice fishing. All the kids really enjoyed it and want to do more. We unfortunately didn't catch anything that day but I did bring my camera and we saw a few on the camera at least. It would be nice to take the group out to a lake where we could have some success with Pike that we could actually keep so we can show them how to prepare and cook a fish. I think though that any lakes where we can find some good action and actually keep a pike are probably located a little too far away to take a bunch of Scouts on a day trip (we are located near Stony Plain). The other option I thought would be to take them to a lake where they can catch a bunch of perch just to keep them excited even if everything is too small to keep. Does anyone have any recommendations for a lake that we could take our Scout Troop to within about an hour or so of Stony Plain? Most of the lakes I go fishing at are further north and too far for this sort of day trip with a group. Is Lac La Nonne worth heading out to this year? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Elk View Post
We recently took our local Scout Troop out to a Winter Camp near Wabamun Lake where a short part of the camp was spent ice fishing. All the kids really enjoyed it and want to do more. We unfortunately didn't catch anything that day but I did bring my camera and we saw a few on the camera at least. It would be nice to take the group out to a lake where we could have some success with Pike that we could actually keep so we can show them how to prepare and cook a fish. I think though that any lakes where we can find some good action and actually keep a pike are probably located a little too far away to take a bunch of Scouts on a day trip (we are located near Stony Plain). The other option I thought would be to take them to a lake where they can catch a bunch of perch just to keep them excited even if everything is too small to keep. Does anyone have any recommendations for a lake that we could take our Scout Troop to within about an hour or so of Stony Plain? Most of the lakes I go fishing at are further north and too far for this sort of day trip with a group. Is Lac La Nonne worth heading out to this year? Any help is greatly appreciated.
you could try Nakamun or Mayatan have not fished either for a few years don't know if the perch have replenished. only other I can think of is Wizard for pike.

mack
Old 02-25-2018, 10:26 PM

Why not take them fishing for trout to spring lake or chickakoo. I think there are still some perch in Spring lake too. I think there is a boy scout camp right at chickakoo. A little safer too. Not as many teeth in a trouts mouth for greenhorn angler kids to deal with.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-26-2018, 05:40 AM

Definitely take them to wizard. Jig and minnow will keep them pulling up small pike all day long. Make sure to bring enough tubs of minnows.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:26 AM

Try Half Moon lake up by Opal. Thousands of little perch and they will get bites and catch all day long. Might even get a keep out of every 50 or 100 caught. Great place for kids.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:58 AM

X2 on Chickacoo. Scouts Canada does operate a camp there and your troop can book the camp to ensure you have access to the lake. We used to take our troop there every year. Its better in the summer though as you can then use the camp's canoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Why not take them fishing for trout to spring lake or chickakoo. I think there are still some perch in Spring lake too. I think there is a boy scout camp right at chickakoo. A little safer too. Not as many teeth in a trouts mouth for greenhorn angler kids to deal with.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:17 AM

If you want to keep some pike, how about Chip? Don't know if there's a camp of any kind there though.

As easy as is to catch trout in Spring, parking would be an issue.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:32 AM

Thanks for all the tips.

Good point on the trout - I've just never had much luck with ice fishing for trout and it's usually made for some pretty slow days. I probably need to change up what I'm doing though. We had our Cub Pack ice fishing out at Chickakoo a little while back and they didn't catch anything. But then I'm not sure what they were using at the time either as I wasn't with them. Any tips on what works well for Chickakoo?

I'm familiar with Halfmoon near Opal and it usually keeps kids entertained with the tiny perch. I was wondering if there is anything a little closer that has the same sort of perch abundance/infestation but it sounds like we may need to make a trip out there. Sounds like there's a few places about the same distance away so I think I may have to try a few of them with the Scouts.

Thanks again.