Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-02-2008, 09:02 PM

Default Southern Alberta Fishing

I got a new power auger for Christmas so were heading most of this week to do some fishing this week, just wondering what success anyone has had on Pine Coullee, Travers, Macgrager, Twin Valley, Keho, or Clear lake. Starting to get bored with the little trout from Chain. If anyone has had success with Pike around these areas feel free to drop a hint or 2.

We went out on Sunday to Chain lakes, lots of bites, I got 4 and Dannielle got 2 in a couple of hours, about 12 to 14 inches of ice..... who ever said velvetta cheese for that lake thanks, it works just as good as corn, and then the fish can still digest it.

Thanks
Dustin
Old 01-02-2008, 09:18 PM

Pine Coulee is lots of fun as far as action goes. Walleye are pretty small though. A friend was fishing the new causway on MacGregor last Saturday but didn't get any, MacGregor is like that though good one day, crappy the next. Twin Valley is absolutely full of dink pike in the 63-70cm range. Travers would be your best bet. Lotsa pike in Travers near the dam- anywhere from 5-15lb range is pretty common. Clear lake and keho I have no idea. Good luck
Old 01-02-2008, 09:26 PM

Hey Dustin why dont you bring Yes Dear and yourself down to Sherburne and we can fish for Pike, Perch, Walleye, Whites, and Burbot.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:40 PM

we had good luck few days ago at mcgregor 15+ fish but most were small. This was down the lake 6 miles or so from the north end. Caught on large smelts in 10-15' water.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:33 PM

Default pine coulee

fished there over the break one day. 2 walleye at 12", one dink pike, tons of burbot from 17" - 24". I'm sure there are lots of walleye just need to move around to find them. Fished near the middle in about 20'.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:51 PM

Buck,

Where on twin Valley have you been catching the pike? I tried it last year near the boat launch and didnt get so much as a bite?
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 01-03-2008, 05:20 PM

Anyone done any fishing down around Med Hat. I have only been out once this year, thinking about heading out on the weekend I'm looking within 1 hour radius of Medicine Hat.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:33 PM

Default Twin

Tango Loko- we can't keep em off- we fish to the right of the boat launch about 15 feet from shore. There are springs so don't go too close. Small smelts seem to work the best but I am kinda bored of catching em out of there so I have not been for a couple weeks.

The walleye in Pine are in about 10 feet of water. Jig head tipped with a worm or tiny smelt works the best. You definately get more lookers than takers but a 20 fish day is the norm. I find you have to see em and when they come in, just twitch the bait.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snotrockets View Post
Anyone done any fishing down around Med Hat. I have only been out once this year, thinking about heading out on the weekend I'm looking within 1 hour radius of Medicine Hat.

Northwest section of Rattlesnake was fairly good today. 11 slough sharks thru the ice and just as many spit the hook on the way up.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:12 PM

Rattlesnake is where I was at my One time this year. That place is full of snotrockets, seems they are all 1" short of legal. Have you heard any reports from grassy?
Old 01-04-2008, 06:54 AM

No reports yet, but I try to head out there at least once a season.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Krazy View Post
Tango Loko- we can't keep em off- we fish to the right of the boat launch about 15 feet from shore. There are springs so don't go too close. Small smelts seem to work the best but I am kinda bored of catching em out of there so I have not been for a couple weeks.

The walleye in Pine are in about 10 feet of water. Jig head tipped with a worm or tiny smelt works the best. You definately get more lookers than takers but a 20 fish day is the norm. I find you have to see em and when they come in, just twitch the bait.
buck, do you normally drive on? wondering if you know of any springs etc a guy needs to watch out for?

cheers
Old 01-04-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snotrockets View Post

Been to the Snake a few times in the last couple of weeks and it seems to be getting progressively slower and size smaller also.
Fishing just for pike......
Probably try Grassy next week if the weather stays around the freezing mark!
Old 01-07-2008, 09:42 AM

Went out to twin valley for a few hours on sunday, didn't get so much as a bite, between the 4 of us we had green, purple, white jigs, in a few different sizes, tried a lure with salmon eggs, tried minnows and both large and small smelts, buddy had a walleye rig on, moved right from the boat launch all the way over to the dam, in water from 7' to 20' deep. Guess it just wasn't our day to catch a fish.

Dustin
Old 01-07-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowchaser View Post
buck, do you normally drive on? wondering if you know of any springs etc a guy needs to watch out for?

cheers
Bowchaser

Seen some tire tracks out on the lake, and heading down the east shore line, there was about 12" of ice, looked pretty grey and soft, don't think i would drive my truck out, cause the water level can fluctuate pretty good there.

Dustin
Old 01-07-2008, 04:50 PM

Heard grassy has been so-so this winter.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:06 PM

3 of us fished Badger this past Sunday and only had 2 hits, with nothing hooked or landed. Anyone having any luck on Badger this year so far?
Old 01-08-2008, 05:59 PM

Weird you guys didn't get anything. We use tip-ups, always get action all day to the right of the boat launch. Sometimes it slows down a bit but always picks back up. There has been times it is hard to have a bite to eat or drink. Maybe it was just the day. I am gonna have to go try there, the fish couldn't have dissapeard. As for Badger I have heard better things about it this year.