Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-06-2008, 04:08 PM

Default Whitefish know-how

I have been thinking about trying for some whites, but I don't have a clue how to catch them. What depth, lure, lake etc. Any suggestions?
Old 01-06-2008, 04:30 PM
Gone Hunting

Ive found that they slam the locks on the jaws at approx 11:00 am-ish, on the lakes i fish for em. Im up and at er early with holes drilled at first light. I fish them in shallow though, in about 4 to 10 feet, on and around weed lines on flats. I fish Newell for them quite abit, but have another slough that produces afew smashers now and again. Try spooling up with max 10lb mono, using anything small, try it all, you will figure that part out. Youve got to be forever on the change up to keep em hitting. I found that if you pre drill afew holes for your shack to slide over, you can keep em hitting as well. They get smart with seeing the same thing, in the same spot all the time. If you keep moving your shack, even 4 feet on to your other holes, the next time one comes in, its a new critter in a new spot, and he will probuably suck-er in. Try to be quiet, no stomping around etc. Ive been busted afew times in one of my shacks as well, it seems to let just abit too much light in, so ive got to kleep my face off to the side as much as i can. Have fun!!!!!

keep a strain on er.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:32 PM

gull, sylvan, just to name a few, i fish em in about 8- 10 feet of water, yellow wire worm. Sometimes tipped with a maggot sometimes not. Copper wire worm works good also
Old 01-06-2008, 05:07 PM

I found that Southern Reservoirs produce with Copper or Red Wire Worms. North of Cowtown with Yellow or Green Wire Worms. " General" rule of thumb is get set up prior to first light. Fish are sensitive to vibrations and get spooked easily. As day progresses, majority head to dead water while stragglers can be still caught in the shallows.
A variety of lures can be used to catch as I have caught them on Westaskewins, Kastmasters,Wireworms and even on Jig and Minnow while going after Eyes.
Gull and Sylvan are my best bets for North of Cowtown and for the South, Mac, Travers, Little Bow, to name a few.
Sylvan is currently producing but smaller fish. In March when the Ling are in Spawn, Whites will be on the feed. They will be foraging on Ling eggs. There'll be little towns setup on Gull in the shallows and majority going after Whites..
Old 01-07-2008, 07:02 PM

how far off bottom do you usually fish for them
Old 01-07-2008, 07:30 PM

I have found they can be very finicky with what they take. I usually have best luck in 6 to 10 feet of water and use wire worms ( sometimes with maggots ) in different colors untill I find what they are taking. They swim at different heights off the bottom so I keep trying different hieghts but usually have good luck about 2/3 under the ice. Quite often the ones right on the bottom just seem to be travelling
Salty
Old 01-08-2008, 10:45 AM

I have been out to Wabamun a couple of times in the last week or so and I have found that the Whites there are typically in 4-7' of water. They bit really easy there on a Wireworm with a yellow bead tipped with 2 maggots. Jigging very lightly... then they hammer it.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:21 PM
Shrubs

I've had luck in the past with teardrops, white with a pike eye on one side, silver on the other. Seems to be good for a few if wireworms aren't working, especially on Sylvan.