Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-26-2018, 05:07 PM

Default Lure Makers

I was just wondering if there are any of you guys that have started to make and sell your own lures or other fishing-related gear and if you have got a website or facebook page advertising/showing what you make?

If you have a website or page of sorts featuring your gear, post it below and I will take a look. I am wanting to support the local guys a little more.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:42 AM

Default jig heads

haven't sold any yet but was thinking about it. made some custom team colors for the boys. sorry hockey fans, blue and white worked best that day
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bruins.jpg (29.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg eye.jpg (23.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg oilers.jpg (25.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg leafs.jpg (17.7 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg glow.jpg (17.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg diff.jpg (91.3 KB, 58 views)
Old 02-27-2018, 09:32 AM

I haven't but would love to find some cool surface plugs for chucking at big cudas on the flats.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-27-2018, 12:40 PM

I have been playing around with various aspects of lure building. The hobby is like crack you just can't get enough. For me it was a way to leverage the basic wood working tools I had. But like I said it can snowball. I started with open pour molds and soft plastics and painting blanks. I had mixed results with the soft plastics but they did catch fish, but if you do soft plastics you should make your own jigs too More on that later.

Painting lure blanks is lots of fun, there are tons of blanks out there. you will need an airbrush and a decent one at that but not much else. at one point i figure that a lure cost me about 2$ and that was with higher end hooks and split rings.

Then for a while I was building the bodies, that was hit and miss mostly because of my lack of patients, but I did make some that did work. along the way I added a lathe mostly to make plugs for surf fishing when the wife and I are in Mexico on vacation.

For the same reason I got myself my first lead mold and started pouring jigging spoons, did not catch anything with them in Mexico, but they worked like a hot damn on salmon, when I went and did the Moutcha bay kayak derby.

Since then I added a swim bait jig mold which got me back into soft plastics but instead of top pour I have injection molds, since I last stop doing soft plastics some more cost effective molds have come out. Also there is nothing stopping you from making your own mold. right now I am in the process of making a stonefly soft plastic , thinking a guy could bounce it down the bow and catch some trout.

Making your own means making stuff to your specifications, not more wimpy glow jigs I want nuclear

Will trade lath time for perch fishing , sundance post a pic of an example of what you are looking for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Foiled.JPG (155.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Turned.JPG (128.7 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Inject Setup.jpg (105.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Jigspoons.JPG (133.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Swimbait.JPG (142.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Glow.jpg (41.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg GrubJerk.JPG (145.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Stonefly master.JPG (94.3 KB, 47 views)
Old 02-27-2018, 02:37 PM

I Make custom bucktail jigs don’t have any pics on my iPad but have lots on instagram. Claymaker_1 I also started tying flys and it is addictive hobby just seeing what you can make and then see what fish like
Old 02-27-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claymaker View Post
I Make custom bucktail jigs don’t have any pics on my iPad but have lots on instagram. Claymaker_1 I also started tying flys and it is addictive hobby just seeing what you can make and then see what fish like
Gave you a follow (joe.hutter), follow me back! Those bucktail jigs look fantastic, I'll have to use them as an inspiration for mine. Where were you catching pumpkinseeds?
Old 02-27-2018, 04:19 PM

There is some real talent in this thread.

Dodger.