Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-26-2018, 10:47 PM

Default McGregor Lake update/help.

My McGregor lake experience so far this season. I was there at first ice in November didn't catch anything off the boat launch at the PP. Second try early January caught one nice sized pike off the eastern point across the PP boat launch. This afternoon into the evening tried the rock wall one mark. Moved to the Eastern point again only one mark. No fish caught. Is this just the February Blahs? Or am I missing something.

If any one has any tips that would be great I would love to catch some whitefish out of there as well.

lake Conditions
-Provincial Park Road not plowed but easy to get through with the ruts and packed snow that are there.
-Lots of snow on ice kind of a crust on top that breaks away easy and sinks down there are drifts that are fairly deep.
-Saw truck tire marks in the snow but its pretty deep need 4x4.
-Great conditions for the snowmobile
-Ice is great getting thicker do not need extension YET.
-Very quite on the ice only saw one other portable and a couple permanent huts.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:13 PM

I've been fishing the northern part of this lake in the winter for probably 7 or 8 years. I've gone pretty consistently every Nov at first ice and for many weeks after first ice each year and noticed that the numbers of whitefish I have seen have steadily declined. What I've also noticed is that the water clarity has gotten worse each year too. It might be related or just a coincidence.

I've also noticed others fishing it have commented on both these points too. While this is not scientific in anyway, I do believe something has changed in the lake. Perhaps the fish are still there but have moved to different parts of the lake due to the water quality, maybe something in the water has affected the food sources, maybe it's just a natural cycle of boom and bust, it's a bit puzzling to me for sure.

I still usually catch the odd pike or two but this year was by far the worse, I barely marked any whitefish during the spawn time whereas the same time I marked lots in Travers. Maybe they all got flushed down to Travers
Old 02-27-2018, 12:49 AM

Default serie 2011

Thanks for the info. I was actually thinking about going to Travers this week any pointers?
Old 02-27-2018, 11:47 AM

By the time the lake re-froze after the warm spell the whites had dispersed. I was there alot in December and was never able to get to my good spots due to thin/no ice. I admit it wasn't a great year for whites but I did manage a few.
As far as being a bad year I'd have to disagree, I've had one of my best years with personal best pike, walleye and rainbow. Traditional spots like the east point and south of the boat launch have not produced so I/we went in search of other areas and it has paid off big time. I spent one morning on the west side a week ago and after a morning of walleye after walleye in the 4# class I saw several schools of whites cruise by my hole as they moved out into the lake mid day and not even glance at my hooks. They are there, they just have so much food in the lake they can and are picky.
I have noticed a decline in Burbot this year. I know of 3 traditional beds and they have been all but empty up to this point. In total I've caught 7 this year and they have all been small (Under 18"). They might be just late but the next few weeks will reveal the truth.
Download the Navionics app or the Bathymetric maps an look for structure. Don't focus on just the big breaks, the smallest hole, shoal or hump near the featureless main part of the lake is where I've done the best.

My number one tactic is if I don't mark fish within an hour I move and it has served me well this year.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:01 PM

What depth do you look for the burbot this time of year? Been out couple times with no luck for burbot.
Can drive around in 4x4 truck on McGregor but best have a shovel handy.