Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2024, 07:37 PM

Default Amazon lithium battery

Has anybody tried the cheap lithium batteries on Amazon ?
The battery on my Jon boat is 8 years old, thinking of switching to lithium 23lbs sounds better than 55 Lbs. only use it for the power anchor and tilt no starter.

Found these on Amazon $219 100AH group 24 I don't trust the reviews.

https://www.amazon.ca/TCBWORTH-Batte...0&sr=8-15&th=1
Old 04-15-2024, 07:50 PM

I have not tried those batteries but Fakespot graded the reviews an F meaning at least 60% of them are fake.
Old 04-15-2024, 08:53 PM

Except for the authentic brand names, buying any of these no name batteries is more like gambling, you win some and you loose some.

If the intended usage is mission critical then stick with a brand name.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:10 PM

There is a guy in lac la biche selling lithium batteries that are reasonably priced and have good reviews. I can't remember the name- Alberta lithium maybe?

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2024, 09:28 PM

I bought some clone Milwaukee batteries from Amazon and their capacity is about half.
Old 04-16-2024, 07:55 AM

It doesn’t come up as $219. I picked one up for a truck camper I’m building but haven’t used it much. The charge voltage is slightly different than for a lead acid battery, so make sure your charger will do lithium. The one I grabbed was $280.
Old 04-16-2024, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
I bought some clone Milwaukee batteries from Amazon and their capacity is about half.
I wondered about those. Was looking at Peavey Mart, KMS Tools, etc., thought I'd see what they cost on Amazon. Typed in Milwaukee M18 5.0 Amp and saw I could get two 5.0 A M18 Milwaukee replacement batteries for $60! Then I looked a bit closer and realized they weren't Milwaukee and wondered how they'd work. Good to know, think I'll stick with the real thing for now.
Old 04-16-2024, 08:41 AM

It seems to me that most of the shop fires I've heard about lately were blamed on lithium batteries.
That is what keeps me away from buying cheap knockoff batteries.
Old 04-16-2024, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
It doesn’t come up as $219. I picked one up for a truck camper I’m building but haven’t used it much. The charge voltage is slightly different than for a lead acid battery, so make sure your charger will do lithium. The one I grabbed was $280.
The price changes every time I open it another thing makes me Leary about these batteries and they haven’t been around long enough for any input on lifespan either
Two year warranty most have 10 although those are twice the price it could be too early to buy the knock offs
The standard Chinese warranty: if you take in person to the factory in wu flung poo they’ll give you a new one
Old 04-16-2024, 09:23 AM

For what you are using the battery for, I don't think you would need a 100ah battery.
What is the ah rating of your current lead acid battery?
When you switch the lithium, most manufacturers will say you can go with about 1/2 of the ah rating.

On Amazon, I stay away from the knockoff brands. Sometimes it's worth it to go to a place you can trust, that can give service, advice and quality products. GPS Central sells Dakota Lithium. They cost more, but you likely wouldn't be on here asking about the quality of the battery or the seller.
Old 04-16-2024, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
For what you are using the battery for, I don't think you would need a 100ah battery.
What is the ah rating of your current lead acid battery?
When you switch the lithium, most manufacturers will say you can go with about 1/2 of the ah rating.

On Amazon, I stay away from the knockoff brands. Sometimes it's worth it to go to a place you can trust, that can give service, advice and quality products. GPS Central sells Dakota Lithium. They cost more, but you likely wouldn't be on here asking about the quality of the battery or the seller.
All new technology to me
I looked up Alberta battery you are correct a 50AH is Equivalent to 110Ah lead acid only 15 Lbs.
I'll be talking with them
Old 04-16-2024, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodhead View Post
There is a guy in lac la biche selling lithium batteries that are reasonably priced and have good reviews. I can't remember the name- Alberta lithium maybe?

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
I’m using batteries from Alberta Lithium and from Dakota. Both are excellent, and the Alberta Lithium ones are less expensive.
Old 04-16-2024, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
All new technology to me
I looked up Alberta battery you are correct a 50AH is Equivalent to 110Ah lead acid only 15 Lbs.
I'll be talking with them
Why would you say a 50ah LiFePO4 is equivalent to a 100ah lead acid? It's not.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-16-2024, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Why would you say a 50ah LiFePO4 is equivalent to a 100ah lead acid? It's not.
I think it's because you run lead acid to 50% capacity Lithium can go to 10% before charging

https://www.ablithium.ca/product/12v...ttery-800-cca/
Old 04-16-2024, 12:01 PM

The one I bought for $280 looks identical except for the sticker on it, as the one that AB lithium is selling for $675. I bet they come from the same factory. I definitely wouldn’t pay that much for one.
Old 04-16-2024, 02:53 PM

https://www.youtube.com/@WillProwse

I watched a few vids from this guy before I made my purchase. Good so far.

Last edited by One'n'Done; 04-16-2024 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-16-2024, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I think it's because you run lead acid to 50% capacity Lithium can go to 10% before charging

https://www.ablithium.ca/product/12v...ttery-800-cca/
I run my lithiums right down to dead - with no apparent ill effects.

The only problem I’ve had is that they run at full power, until they run right out - no warning of lessening power. With a trolling motor - that means that you need a back-up battery to get back to the launch! I use a separate 10ah for my sonar, and that’s enough to get me straight back to the launch when the main 50 ah abruptly runs out!
Old 04-16-2024, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post

The only problem I’ve had is that they run at full power, until they run right out - no warning of lessening power. With a trolling motor - that means that you need a back-up battery to get back to the launch! I use a separate 10ah for my sonar, and that’s enough to get me straight back to the launch when the main 50 ah abruptly runs out!
That is because they have a built in BMS that protects the cells from overdischarge at 10 volts or 2.5 volts per cell. The BMS FETS cut out right at 10 volts. There is very little energy left at the 2.5 V/per cell and discharging them further would do damage to the cells. The battery is 4 sets of cells in series.

Individual LiFePO4 cells typically have a 3.2V nominal voltage. The cells are fully charged at 3.65V, and at 2.5V, they become fully discharged. 12V 100Ah LiFePO4 batteries are a great upgrade for 12V lead acid batteries.

Last edited by AxeMan; 04-16-2024 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-16-2024, 10:04 PM

Now if you are rich and really want to be a battery nerd, get this one:
Will cost you a grand though.

https://www.amazon.ca/Renogy-Phospha...CMPVGGD5/?th=1

Bluetooth communication to an app on your Cell phone to monitor all parameters. Self heating for below zero C applications.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
The one I bought for $280 looks identical except for the sticker on it, as the one that AB lithium is selling for $675. I bet they come from the same factory. I definitely wouldn’t pay that much for one.
The difference is the Alberta lithium is designed for starting or running a winch the Li time is more of a low draw house battery
Old 04-17-2024, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post

Yeah, I had that happen to me once. Using a 54 Ah Dakota. Power indicator light on the Minnkota showed full charge all the time and then nothing! At least had oars to row back.

Now I recharge before every outing.
Old 04-17-2024, 09:37 AM

The charge indicators on my MinnKota trolling motor are of no use since I switched to lithium. The indicators are meant to work with lead acid voltages.

The suggestion to charge before every outing is probably the best.

There is lots of online discussion about determining the state of charge of a lithium battery.
Some batteries have bluetooth that sends the info from the bms to your phone. Most people think this is a good system.
Some say that measuring the resting voltage with a volt meter is not ideal but it is better than nothing.

Old 04-19-2024, 05:57 PM

Battery and review.
He does a complete tear down of the battery.

https://ca.litime.com/products/litim...ithium-battery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR5MkFRSucc

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-20-2024, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
Now if you are rich and really want to be a battery nerd, get this one:
Will cost you a grand though.

https://www.amazon.ca/Renogy-Phospha...CMPVGGD5/?th=1

Bluetooth communication to an app on your Cell phone to monitor all parameters. Self heating for below zero C applications.
Wow put 2 of those babies into your mobility scooter and it would be days before granma or the grankids would find you.
Old 04-20-2024, 04:40 PM

Completely different can of worms but my Dyson cordless vacuum quit working well. You could only get a couple of minute out of a charge. After a bunch of research I ended up just buying a new vacuum.

The Chinese batteries on Amazon etc. are responsible for some serious damage to homes due to over heating/over charging. This included many brand labels.

I might try one if I was doing a quick charge like a drill. That way I could unplug it as soon as it was charged. Anything large enough to have to be left over night or plugged in continuously like a vacuum was a definite no go for me after looking into it.