Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Gone Hunting

Default My 02 archery mule deer.

Howdy, just found out we have a new play place. Figured i might throw a couple pis up of my best mule to date. I got him in 2002 on the Bow River. Gross in at 164 and abit, net at 149. Havent had him officially scored for P&Y, but i did win the Brooks fish and game typ arch mule with him that year. Oh ya, the dog knocked the rack off the pedistal i built, guess i didnt really need the nose on the skull anyways.....Thanks for the new bow hunting forum boys. Happy trails....

keep a strain on er.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2491.jpg (67.0 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2496.jpg (47.7 KB, 297 views)
Old 02-10-2008, 08:50 PM

Very nice deer thanks for the pics
Old 02-10-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270dale View Post
Very nice deer thanks for the pics
Old 02-10-2008, 09:03 PM

Great buck nice pictures
Old 02-10-2008, 09:56 PM

Pack, what a beauty archery mulie! Glad to see that your wrists are much bigger than Cottonwood's!

Tree

PS Welcome to the board Cottonwood, we're glad to have ya!
Old 02-10-2008, 10:56 PM

nice mulie, intresting mount!!
Old 02-11-2008, 07:48 AM

What did you do to the dog?
Old 02-11-2008, 08:40 AM

Default Great Buck!!

Nice Buck with the bow!!
Old 02-11-2008, 07:48 PM

Hey Pack: That's an awfull nice buck. Looks like there isn't much to hide behind down there. I want to here the story how you got him. Looks like good bowhunting tactics to me. (did you sneak him?)
Old 02-11-2008, 08:20 PM

That's a really nice buck. I'd like to hear the story too.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:05 PM

Beautiful buck, thanks for posting
Old 02-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Gone Hunting

Hey fellas, thanks all. Ya, i glassed him on the edge of a draw and field edge along the Bow river breaks here in the south country. It was late afternoon and he had stood up from his bed and looked to be moving to another area with better shade, due to the sun changing direction on him, it was a warm early season day. I watched him and a doe he was with make the move through the spotting scope. He ended up working his way a short ways into the hay field, and bedded in a tall stand of koshia {spelling?} weeds adjacent to a small old stack of rounds. Once i put him to bed with the glasses, and watched where the doe bedded, i started to work my way in on them. The doe bedded in the worst possible spot, exactly on the down wind side of the buck, and approx 20 yards away from him. Anyways, it took me about 2 hours to get into approx 60 yards of where they were bedded. The dry koshia weed was hell to make ground in. They couldnt see me from the angle i was advancing from, so from there it was real tough to know what to do. I had made my stalk from a full value cross wind direction, so once in tight, I decided to come in from the down wind side, just to open up my field of view a hair into the weeds, so i began a small angle towards the doe. I was on my hands and knees and managed to close up about 20 yards in about 1/2 hour. The doe heard a small dry weed break that my knee put pressure on and stood up. She didnt know what was up but knew something wasnt right. She bounced a couple times down wind, turned back to look for her pal. I was covered by about 10 inches of weed and crouching as low as possible. He stood up and did about three bounces toward her. While he was on the move broadside moving to my left, i drew back holding my bow horrizontal and as flat as i could possibly be. I hit him with a quick bleet with my mouth and came up to my knees all in one motion. He stopped broadside and looked right at me. I shipped it as soon as the 40 and 50 bracketed and settled. I hit him higher than i wanted but he was down within 50 yards at a flat run. It was a great spot and stalk situation, that i got lucky on. Had the doe not been there, and things working out the way they did, i would have had to wait him out until he stood up closer to dark. I think anyone could have pulled it off though, it just would have taken time. Ive since got rammy and rushed things like how i did with this buck, and have learned afew pretty tough to swallow lessons. Ive blown it on more than one hoooog mule deer, but its been fun!!! This open country can be pretty tough going, so youve got to learn to take the good with the bad. Very few of these stalks work out. For every solid week of glassing hard, you can expect one or two honest stalk opportunities that have a chance of working in your favor. Thats where all the other little things come into play and work against you. Alot of these deer dont bed in a spot that allows a stalk or move where they are susceptible to ambush. It can take time to get the right set up on a deer before you can make your move. Its a tough game, but lotsa fun. Between field/ambushes and stalking, stalks are my favorite, but setting up on fields early in the season can be your best bet. Anyways, bla bla bla, pretty dry and bland, and all done with two fingers peckin away..... But, thats how i got that one. Good luck in the draws.......

keep a strain on er.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:13 PM

One question, Pack. HOW FREAKIN' LONG DID IT TAKE YOU TO TYPE ALL THAT WITH TWO FINGERS???!

Great buck, great story and great effort on sharing it with us! Thanks man, that was awesome. And if I may say, most excellent hunt 'n pecking!

Tree
Old 02-12-2008, 12:37 AM

Good work on the buck, it's nice when things work out! Nice pic. Chris K
Old 02-12-2008, 09:14 AM
guidehunt

nice buck packhunter,just got back into archery will be hunting muleys down south next few yrs .looks like lots of fun .guidehunt
Old 02-12-2008, 12:11 PM

Great buck Pack.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:44 PM

Thanks for the story and pics - great buck
Old 02-13-2008, 09:36 PM

Great pics and story Packhunter. I have just recently joinned the "stick and string" brigade and I too look forward to attempting to stalk some prairie mulies. First up on the menu is spring bear.